Home

What's better? Apple Computers, or the Windows Version?

Snafu7

What's better, Apple or Windows  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What's better, Apple or Windows

• Apple
    • Windows

There's no easy answer to that. I use both. I have a Mac at work, and PCs at home.

What do you want to do with it, and which interface do you prefer?

Most of the people I know are musicians or recording engineers, and 10-to-1 they go for the Macs. Graphic designers and video-editors tend towards the Macs more often too.

The Mac software is great, but limited and costly.

At this point they pretty much do all the same things anyway. There were major differences a few years ago, but now, under the skin most of the hardware is interchangeable between platforms. The main difference between them is the CPU and motherboard.

But there are not that many great games for the Macs, so I would suspect most of the people you will meet here are Wintel IBM-Clone PC users. It doesn't seem like a fair question to ask here. I suspect you will get overwhelmingly in favor of PC results.

I can't vote either way.

Macs are better at sound editing, video editing, and the like.

Windows is better at everything else. Plus PCs are faster. I read a direct comparison review (i can't remember where) and the PCs are now faster overall.

If I had to choose, probably windows due to cheaper software, and games.

Originally posted by Praetorian

Plus PCs are faster. I read a direct comparison review (i can't remember where) and the PCs are now faster overall.

That's true to a certain extent... Apple hasn't been able to keep up in the CPU speed race... but the chip architecture of the Power PC Macs allow them to be comperable to an Intel or AMD chip clocked almost twice as fast.

My personal experience: Certain tasks are much faster on a slower clock-speed processor Mac than on an Intel Pentium.

I run the Seti@Home screensaver on all the computers I use,.. and I can crunch 3 units on my 700MHz G4 iMac at work for every one I process on my 933MHz PentiumIII PC.

Other applications are about even,.. and on a few the PC has the clear advantage.

But if Apple could ever get thier chips up to mach current Pentium 4 clock speeds (3+ GHz) I'm not sure it would be much of a contest anymore.

Apple may be ditching the PPC architecture anyway. There have been pretty solid rumors that they have been talking with AMD quite a bit in the last few months. The next generation Macs may be running Athlon derived processors.

edlib, I agree that macs have better performance per Mhz, but the PC still hold the definate advantage for most apps. due to the growth in the PC sector. Now that PC is up to 3Ghz w/ 800Mhz FBS (front side bus) it easily beats the Mac in almost all apps.

As I said before, Macs still hold the crown for video/sound editing as well as other workstation apps.

I think it depends on what your using it for

Apple macintishes are widly used in professional printing or graphical companies. and if you want to do that you should get an apple

But if your using it for ga,es and stuff. get a windows...

Apple:

Graphic programs

internet

Windows:

Games

Thats how i see comps anyway

Originally posted by STTCT

a picture is worth a thousand words....

mactrash.jpg

:lol:

That picture expresses my opinion completely!

*saves to Windows based computer*

I have to say both, but I've been a Windows user since I was seven. Three years before that was a Mac, the OS 2.1 I think it was. I like the Mac because it's easy to use, and they're cheap. But if you want the best, go for a PC. You'll benefit more from a PC other that a MAC. Besides, I've had more lock ups with a MAC than my Dell Computer at home.:p

Archived