Home

found my dream video card

KaBuTaR

:D some of you might know that I've been banging my head against the wall trying to run JK II on my old Voodoo3 2000. :p I'm waiting to get a new card/computer, seeing that I can't upgrade my card with no AGP slot in my comp. :p

while it looks most likely that I'll be buying an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro, this is my dream card:

nVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra

Graphics Core: 256-bit

Memory Interface: 256-bit

Memory Bandwidth: 27.2GB/sec

Fill Rate: 3.6 billion texels/sec.

Vertices/sec. 338 million

Memory Data Rate: 850MHz

Pixels per Clock (peak): 8

Textures per Pixel: 16*

RAMDACs 400MHz

this card has been beating out the Radeon 9800 Pro cards by a *large* amount in quite a lot of tests. If it loses, it loses by a small margin usually.

*drool*

unfortunately at $499 US... :S :o:eek::confused::( I doubt it, unless it drops radically in price or something crazy happens :p

What do you guys think?

I've heard bad things about that card. Like that it really isn't any better than a ATi Radeon 9700.

*shrugs* Whatever makes ya happy.

yep... that's the card that takes up 2 slots... 1 AGP and 1 PCI... for cooling or something. :p

ok it doesnt beat the Radeon 9700 by a LOT, but by a fair amount... take a look @ these benchmarks...

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/geforce_fx_5900-11.html

still, it is a good card... if only it wasn't so expensive... and so big!!! dratted fans!!! :mad:

Impressive numbers to be sure....but it makes me wonder since that site appears to be sponsored by Nvidia. ;)

You can make stats look anyway you want them too.......anyways, I think you should just save your money and buy something else. :)

ok... lol i didnt know nVIdia sponsored that site! :eek:

however... therez been some new news that apparently nVidia tweaked their drivers to extract a false reading from 3DMark03... apparently this made the GeForce FX 5900 come out with ratings 24% higher than they should have been. :mad:

so perhaps... not my dream video card anymore. :p

In that case, a question.

WIth regard to being relatively up to date wtih the future and able to play newer games, etc... which card would be the best to invest in at this point?

Originally posted by KaBuTaR

however... therez been some new news that apparently nVidia tweaked their drivers to extract a false reading from 3DMark03... apparently this made the GeForce FX 5900 come out with ratings 24% higher than they should have been. :mad:

Not really a surprise that they did it, to be honest. :)

WIth regard to being relatively up to date wtih the future and able to play newer games, etc... which card would be the best to invest in at this point?

Get a Radeon of some kind, I'm not sure of the prices anymore....but look at a 9500 or so.

Radeon 9700. It's the best at the moment for value

Pats Radeon 9700. :D

Archived