Home

/me 18!!!

Actually, I have to contend the point that only the stupid fled England.

Let's see, they were leaving a place with: religious intolerance and oppression, outrageous taxation, overcrowded and unsanitary living conditions, horrible class divisions, bad food, and crappy weather.

I dunno... seems to me like the people who stayed just might have been the stupid ones. :p

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Admiral

Thanks you for a good laugh Jabba.

at least someone realised it was a joke.

(oh and btw nute i got 121 on my last IQ test (118 the time before (which is just assumed to be a statisical inaccuracy) and I have a report which states that puts me in the top 8% of british intellect (for all you dummies out there, that means theres more intelligent people in britian) :D

I don't know where you keep getting this "more smart people in Britain" thing. If you're all so smart, why didn't you invent the nuclear bomb, have a space program, develop hi-tech electronics, make a decent car, and figure out how to have flavor in your food? Personally, it's my belief that the British conquered most of the world A) to get out of England and B) to find a way to make food taste better. Good thing the British invented the jet engine. They sure put it to good use fending off the Blitz with all their super hi-tech jet fighters.

I'm still really curious how the entire british education system works. plz answer.

I found a different breakdown for the IQ test thingie. I like it more because it accounts for the fact that we're actually educated now:

100 is higher than 50% of the population

110 is higher than 75% of the population

120 is higher than 93% of the population

130 is higher than 98% of the population

I still don't like the IQ test. I'm not in the top 2% of humans. I wish I hadn't thrown away all my psych notes that talked about the other, better tests.

Originally posted by Nute Gunray

If you're all so smart, why didn't you invent the nuclear bomb, have a space program, develop hi-tech electronics, make a decent car, and figure out how to have flavor in your food?

Or brush your teeth either.

Happy birthday, Jabba! :)

Ben: college is where we learn to drink, a skill that comes in handy when we go to a university.

My take on the idea of British IQs being higher than American because the stupid people were sent over here to colonize is this: the family name on my mom's side is 'Twaddle,' which means 'nonsense' in old English. My theory is that one of my ancestors was the village idiot. :D

In the modern world, the IQ of Americans and Brits is best compared by looking at our leaders. In America we have a president who controls an arsenal of nucular weapons...however, in Britain we have a man who thought Iraq was capable of attacking his country within 45 minutes. :dozey: With what, rocket-powered attack camels? Let's face it...we're both idiots.

Enough of this twaddle.

Isn't it the other way around? Face it, the world needs 12 blockbuster hollywood movies a year, and the US needs billions of dollars to fill the crater in their trade balance. :D

I don't know my IQ, but I do know that the average is supposed to be 100. However, every year the average increases a bit (1 or 2 points, IIRC) On average, we're all getting smarter. But this is logical, a decent newspaper contains more info than a medieval farmer recieved in his whole life.

The problem with the IQ tests is that the different education systems across the world tend to emphasize different subjects, and that there are many different kind of tests. Because of that, it's often not fair to compare IQ averages of 2 countries.

Thanks to the Treaty of Bologna, the education system in Europe is going to be more uniform. Right now in The Netherlands we're running ahead of schedule with the implementation of the Treaty. you have to do 5 years of high school before you can go to college , after which you get your Bachelor title. University requires 6 years of high school. Uni is split up in 2 parts: the Bachelor phase takes 3 years, followed by a 1 or 2 year Master phase (2 years for the technical studies).

This means that it'll take me at least 5 years of study before I get my M.Sc. title. Does this make my education worse than the one of my fellow American engineering student, who has to study 6 years for the same title? No. It has an ABET accreditation, and the graduates are highly appreciated in the industry. It's just different. :)

India and China produce just as many movies as the US. If anything, the US is a glorious savior charging ahead to save the world from poorly made movies.

After reading your information concerning this new standardized EU education, particularly the high school stuff, I think I see where the US's extra year of higher level education comes from: we have less high school.

Education is handled, mostly, on the state level when dealing with policy and the Federal government sets some standards How many years of high school you get is handled on the district level. A school district is a fairly small area. My county has maybe 200k people in it, but 6+ school districts.

Some districts have junior high school, which means you go from Kindergarten (age 5) to sixth grade (11) at elementary school and then have seventh and eighth grade at the junior high (sometimes this building is part of the same complex as the senior high school others it's a different site). Ninth through twelfth grade is senior high school. This is how my district was, so I had six or four years of high school depending on how you look at it. However, HIGH SCHOOL didn't really start until ninth grade, as junior high was a lot like elementary school except i had to walk to different classes.

A lot of districts (mine included now) have a distinct third tier. K-5 is now elementary, 6-8 is called middle school (it's what junior high was, but in it's seperate facility and not called high school) and 9-12 is high school. So now, we clearly have only four years of high school. I think this is more common in the US nowadays than the junior high thing they used to do.

If the EU has five years of high school and five years on the Masters degree analogy, it's ten years of education. If the US has four years of high school and six years on it's Masters, it's ten years.

Then you go and bust out this ABET thing that I've only heard of once and don't remember anything about. Not that it matters than American universities produce sub-par engineers. We import Asians for that anyhow.

I remember hearing about the clockwork radio a while ago. it seemed like such an obvious thing. i was surprised it hadn't been invented earlier.

When I invent my steam powered steam generator, then we'll see which country is true master of invention.

I dunno about IQ, but I can tell you this much about US educational standards versus European ones...

Just ask a European kid a question--any question--in English. Then French. Then German. Then Spanish. Chances are he understood you at least three times. :D

The American kid? :dozey: Once, in English, if you're lucky.

Actually, the world will be speaking American English because it already does. Well, it'll be our words and streamlined spellings, but accented. Zany how English works; it gave Americans no accent. You see, an accent is corrupting constant sounds. The American dialect doesn't corrupt constants, so we get no accent. That's why people singing in English sound American, with the exception of Liza Doolittle's father in My Fair Lady.

Archived