Home

Seatbelts

Thrackan Solo

Should seatbelt wearing stay a law?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should seatbelt wearing stay a law?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

While I do, and always have worn my seatbelt whenever i'm in a car, and I believe that everyone SHOULD wear them, I dont think that anyone has the right to MAKE me wear it. It's a personal choice, if I want to make an attempt to save my life it's up to me. I'm not endangering ANYONE else by not buckling up, so it should be my choice.

I can understand laws about speeding, driving recklessly, etc. because those can cause injury or death to others. But not wearing a seatbelt would only hurt someone if my body got launched out of the car in an accident and my body were to slam INTO somebody.......but the odds of that happening are not good.

Yes, it should stay a law.

Most people simply do not know the dangers of not wearing a seat belt, and therefore they are unfit to make a proper desiscion on whether or not they should wear it. The goverment's job is, amongst other things, to protect you from both others and from yourself. There is no doubt that the amount of seat bealt-using car drivers would go down if the law had been removed.

There's simply too many dumb people in the world, but we can't risk their lives just because of that.

It is a law in Denmark. Makes a lot of money for the State in fines, lol. Seriously, though, a fine works a lot better than any kind of ad campaign, IMO. And since it doesn't exactly hurts to buckle up, I can't see what harm such a law does.

I'm not endangering ANYONE else by not buckling up

Not quite correct. If you get yourself killed or injured, the state will have to:

1) Find some way to cover the loss of tax-income.

2) Patch you up/dig you down.

3) Take care of any minor children that you may have, which are left unsupported.

4) Pay for psychological counseling for your family and others who may be traumatized by the experience of seing you hurt/dead.

All of this nice money could have gone into hospitals, which could have saved people's lives. So, in a way, you are starting a contingency that costs lives, other than your own.

it isnt the governments job to keep you safe from yourself, its there job to keep you safe from others

But you would expect the govt to send probes to find out whether the ice on the local lake was thick enough to support you, no? And place a 'Traffic on ice illegal' sign if it wasn't, no?

We have a law about seatbelts in Canada. It's just an attempt to get more funds for the state (just like Photo-Radar), so that Jean can spend taxpayer dollars on a new private jet. I love this country, but I have a great distrust of our government. One problem is that Government and Politics get mixed together sometimes, so we conform to the majority sometimes. The bigger problem, tough, is that we have elections by the people. Democracy doesn't work in real life, I'm afraid, just like Communism doesn't work in real life. Stupid people can vote, and they do vote (usually for the guy with the best ad campaign). Well, now you've got me rambling so I'll just stop now before I upset someone.

There's simply too many dumb people in the world, but we can't risk their lives just because of that.

WE aren't risking anything. THEY are risking their lives. And if they are too stupid or too careless to buckle their seatbelts, then i'm sorry, I don't feel sorry for them. EVERYONE is told hundreds of times when they are little and when they get older that buckling their seatbelt can save their life. They force-feed it to us in school.

If we can choose to smoke cigarettes and choose to drink alcohol, then I think we can choose whether or not to wear our seatbelts.

The loss of tax income would probably be negated by the amount of money that the government would end up paying in social security/ medicare once this person grew older.

In the US medical/funeral bills would be the problem of the family of the deceased.

as would Psychological treatment, which the majority of families who go through such events do not even resort to.

And since it doesn't exactly hurts to buckle up, I can't see what harm such a law does.

And it doesn't exactly HURT to have government cameras installed EVERYWHERE, and it sure would make catching criminals a lot easier.....

Well i believe in individual responsibility, and don't like when the "state" imposes these types of rules. You and I and everybody else pay in the long run for the careless drivers.

SO yes i guess it is a good thing.

WE aren't risking anything. THEY are risking their lives. And if they are too stupid or too careless to buckle their seatbelts, then i'm sorry, I don't feel sorry for them.

Try telling that to the wife or child of the guy who was propelled through the windshield of his car when he was hit by a drunkdriver. All that pain and suffering could have been avoided if there had been a law that forced that man to wear his seatbelt.

Granted, he still might not wear it. But it makes it more likely that he would.

That aside, if there were no seatbelt laws, then car manufacturers might not even install seatbelts in their cars. Perhaps they would make it an option that you pay out the nose for...

Originally posted by ShockV1.89

That aside, if there were no seatbelt laws, then car manufacturers might not even install seatbelts in their cars. Perhaps they would make it an option that you pay out the nose for...

Why would they ever do that? They made seatbelts in cars LONG before there were laws about wearing them. Car dealers want to make their cars as safe as possible so that people will buy THEIR cars because they are safer.

That family should have pushed their father/husband to wear his seatbelt, because they KNEW it could save his life.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

That family should have pushed their father/husband to wear his seatbelt, because they KNEW it could save his life.

But the state can't push it?

Yes, it should be required by law. It's such a small thing, it doesn't hurt, it takes no time to do and you'll be all the better for it. I can't imagine why people would want to drive without it.

It's like those lines on train stations where they mark how close to the rails you can go before the train stops. Surely it's up to people themselves to determine how far they're willing to risk their own life?

seatbelts give me a rash.:( i still wear it but it gives me a horrible rash and i break out. so they do hurt me. at least those over the shoulder ones. i don't like the idea of someone telling me to do things but i mean if it effects the people pushing me that's ok(like family) but the gov. won't miss me... unless they want me to be part of their nationwide army recruitment to take over the world.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

but the gov. won't miss me... unless they want me to be part of their nationwide army recruitment to take over the world.

Sure they will. You pay your taxes, right? Any goverment's job is to take care of the people, and to do so, they are dependent on the people itself. This is why there is a law that makes you wear a seatbelt, because it's the goverment's job and because the goverment needs you. What would a goverment be without its people?

And in any case, just think of what any goverment does to protect its people. Hell, all laws are to protect them, so why not have a law that forces people to take responsibility for themselves if they can't do it without the goverment's help?

Yes.

While ET Warrior is right, but it's not right on the other hand. Think if I chrashed up in the *** (I blanked out the word myself :D) of yours, and you flew through the front window and, of course, died. Would I have good feelings after that? Sure not. I would blame myself for killing a fellow forumer :D:rolleyes:

Airbag does also have an effect (that's why they're equipped ;))

But how often does anyone fly through TWO windshields with enough force to kill another person?

I've never heard of that happening.

I just dont think we should be responsible for other people's stupidity. If i'm in a hurry and my seatbelt doesn't buckle right and comes undone while i'm driving, (which has happened to me) I dont think I should get a ticket.

I just dont think we should be responsible for other people's stupidity. If i'm in a hurry and my seatbelt doesn't buckle right and comes undone while i'm driving, (which has happened to me) I dont think I should get a ticket.

People does not deserve to die due to stupidity. People with a lower-than-average IQ still has the right to live. And just because they aren't smart enough to wear a seatbelt unless there is a law about it, does not mean we should just forget about them and let casualties in car accidents go way up.

If your seatbelt comes undone while driving, then you probably didn't take enough time to fasten it. And in any way, it will be extremely easy to fasten it again. I think you should get a ticket if you are caught without belt on.

But there is one thing that's a bit strange though. There is a law tat forces us to use seat belts. Yet, there are no laws that forces us to wear helmets when biking. I really think there should be a law that makes people use bike helmets. We see way too many serious damages due to biking that could be avoided if people were wearing helmets.

Originally posted by Breton

Sure they will. You pay your taxes, right? Any goverment's job is to take care of the people, and to do so, they are dependent on the people itself. This is why there is a law that makes you wear a seatbelt, because it's the goverment's job and because the goverment needs you. What would a goverment be without its people?

And in any case, just think of what any goverment does to protect its people. Hell, all laws are to protect them, so why not have a law that forces people to take responsibility for themselves if they can't do it without the goverment's help?

i don't pay taxes. well not in my name. i help my parents out sometimes when they don't have all the money for it. its usually no more than 200 dollars though.

Originally posted by Echuu Shen-Jon

Yes.

While ET Warrior is right, but it's not right on the other hand. Think if I chrashed up in the *** (I blanked out the word myself :D) of yours, and you flew through the front window and, of course, died. Would I have good feelings after that? Sure not. I would blame myself for killing a fellow forumer :D:rolleyes:

Airbag does also have an effect (that's why they're equipped ;))

airbags have killed more people under the age of 30 than it has saved. just a friendly statistic i got from doing research on safety when i was in the 8th grade.

If your seatbelt comes undone while driving, then you probably didn't take enough time to fasten it. And in any way, it will be extremely easy to fasten it again. I think you should get a ticket if you are caught without belt on.

Of cousre it's because I didn't take enough time to fasten it. And you know what? It's my own damn fault. If I die it's MY fault, and nobody elses. And lets say that my seatbelt comes undone while I'm driving, and since I'm so freakin worried about getting a stupid ticket about it I take one hand off the wheel to pull it back across me, but while my attention is sorta divided a little kid runs out in the street after a ball, the extra fraction of a second of reaction time i lose because i'm not paying full attention to the road could cost that innocent kid his/her life.

An unlikely scenario, but possible. Far more likely than me killing somebody else because I wasn't wearing a seatbelt and got ejected out of the car.

People does not deserve to die due to stupidity. People with a lower-than-average IQ still has the right to live. And just because they aren't smart enough to wear a seatbelt unless there is a law about it, does not mean we should just forget about them and let casualties in car accidents go way up.

But shouldn't people be responsible for themselves? At what point do we draw the line between things we should be responsible for and things the government should. MANY people die from AIDS and other STD's every year. Should the government make a law that you HAVE to wear a condom during intercourse unless you and your partner both have blood tests that prove you don't have any STD's? Should there be a law that houses with small children and babies cannot have sharp corners or objects that the child could fall and hurt themself on?

Of cousre it's because I didn't take enough time to fasten it. And you know what? It's my own damn fault. If I die it's MY fault, and nobody elses.

Of course it's your fault. That's why you get a ticket. If it was someone else's fault, then it would be unfair if you were punished for it.

If you rob a bank, that's your own damn fault. Yet, those actions are illegal because it does not only hurt yourself. That's the same with not wearing seat belts. If you die due to that, then it would clearly go out of your family and friends, and they do not deserve such pain because of your carelessness. Also, if you die, that would hurt the goverment.

But shouldn't people be responsible for themselves? At what point do we draw the line between things we should be responsible for and things the government should. MANY people die from AIDS and other STD's every year. Should the government make a law that you HAVE to wear a condom during intercourse unless you and your partner both have blood tests that prove you don't have any STD's? Should there be a law that houses with small children and babies cannot have sharp corners or objects that the child could fall and hurt themself on?

People should indeed be responsible for themselves. But some people simply can't be responsible for themselves. That's where laws come in. They forces them to actually be responsible for themselves. Such a law will certainly not hurt people who can take responsibility for themselves, since they would use a seat belt anyway.

Of course it's your fault. That's why you get a ticket. If it was someone else's fault, then it would be unfair if you were punished for it.

But WHY should I get a ticket if i'm not endangering anyone else? I'm still driving perfectly safely.

Archived