Home

Overclocking

Howdy

I was wondering how do you overclock your system. I don't really know much about computers, but it's not like i know nothing at all. I just want to know where you found out how to overclock systems and stuff. I know I sound really ignorant, but I don't care. It's better to actually know something, rather than pretend and eventually make an even bigger fool out of yourself. But anyway, do you just learn by taking apart your tower and fiddling around, or do any of you have IT, Hardware or Engineering occupations. Or do you just have alot of spare time.

Also if you have any information on how i could get into an IT career I would be most greatful or what ones are good. I don't know what i want to do and I want to start sorting some things out. Thanks if you can help me at all. :D

Well, just tinkering around in you pc will get you shocked and it broken. :D

One of the most important things is having a big enough fan because you'll need a whole lot of cooling power to keep an oced chip from crisping up. Besides that there's a few different ways to go about it. Sometimes you can just poke around in the bios or dl a small program that will assist you or you may even need to jumper a few pins on your chip.

If you have a newer Intel chip you'll have to stick to changing your FSB frequency to overclock (I think) and the newer AMD chips are doing that too. (I think) :D

Another thing you need to keep in mind is that just because you can crank something to a certain speed doesn't mean it'll be very stable. You need to find an area for it where it's not making your computer crash every five minutes. :D

Also make sure to get the newest version of your bios available.

I don't really know much about this at all so lets wait for someone who has more of a clue to come along. They'll be here shortly. :D

As Boba Rhett pointed out, the trial and error version of learning it is not to be preferred, since it will end with a lot of broken hardware (with their warranties null and void) and perhaps a tour to the hospital or worse. Asking for help from people who are more experienced is not ignorant, it's damn right smart.

And yes, cooling is the first thing you'll have to get sorted out. If your computer was put together when you bought it, it will not overclock well. Especially not if it is brand computer, like Dell or such. You can kiss the warranty goodbye if you overclock your computer. Generally speaking, Athlon chips can't take as much punishment at Pentium one, so be careful if you have Athlons. While Pentiums has a tendency to lock down your computer at the wrong temperatures, Athlons have a tendency to fry. And I'm litterally speaking of frying. I've seen Athlons crumble to a small black crisp when it had it's fan removed. And do you want to stop there? With the new graphics cards that has more processor speed than most processors used to have, overclocking graphics cards are a subgenre that is soaring. You might want to look into that, too.

Oh, and speaking of cooling, depending on how hardcore you area (how much speed you want), you can do it with fans, water cooling, or a variety of other cooling. Water cooling is very reliable, unlike a fan, but it includes a lot of work.

If you know swedish, sweclockers should be your primary community for hardware tinkering. If not only for the gallery of tower setups, really helpful if you need ideas.

Other than that? Dunno, since sweclockers are so damn elite, so I don't look at other sites. Weird thing is, the best sites are in swedish, german or italian. Overclockers.co.uk seems ok, though. Here's TechZone's basic guide, worth a look. A bit old (referring to Gforce2), but the basics are the same.

To sum it up? If you like tinkering with technology, overclocking is fun and you'll gain some serious speed from it. But it takes resources, it requires a bit of money, and it's not gonna be done by itself.

hey, thanks alot for all your input. I think i might leave it a while until I start trying some of this. I'll probably first wait until I get my own computer and then when I get some more money so I can purchase the right gear or have enough so I can replace stuff that I most probably will destroy. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Archived