Home

Tiny RPG thread sneaking in here-- forgive me, Marek!

*Will dodge the infamous frying pan when the regular AG forum is back up, but for now... Mwahahahaha*

Hey! There was a general gaming area in the other forum, ya know! Why are y'all looking at me like that? :o

Besides, this is an RPG announcement, which isn't sooooo bad, is it? :p

Larian Studios recently announced Riftrunner, an impending new RPG set in the Divine Divinity universe. They also mentioned an all-out sequel, Divine Divinity 2, in passing there if you look...

Originally posted by DomStLeger

Not to mention the huge back logs of adventures tamz... :)

well, yeah, but I'm more into RPGs atm.. can immerse myself in the gameplay more .. it seems more seamless and natural than adventure gameplay, which can seem somewhat artificial.. That's not to say I won't get down to playing all my adventures .. but probably after the RPGs and when I'm in a particular kind of mood.

I forget whether it was you or emma who hasn't played GK3...

Both, I think. I own it, though.

Originally posted by curacao

well, yeah, but I'm more into RPGs atm.. can immerse myself in the gameplay more .. it seems more seamless and natural than adventure gameplay, which can seem somewhat artificial.. That's not to say I won't get down to playing all my adventures .. but probably after the RPGs and when I'm in a particular kind of mood.

Oh my god, we're losing her! Do something guys, before she leaves us for http://www.just-rpg.com or something!

--Erwin

Originally posted by Erwin_Br

Oh my god, we're losing her! Do something guys, before she leaves us for http://www.just-rpg.com or something!

--Erwin

Come to think of it Erwin, you said you also owned an original copy of GK3 (I'm assuming its orginal too Tamz as you're a collector) and haven't played it!

Thats THREE people now who haven't played on of the best Adventure games ever made.

(Ok so I'm also a little jealous that its one of my fav game and I only have a crappy budget version :p)

I would like to apologise to Emma for all the pain and damage to her reputation I have caused by my libellous suggestion that she has not played GK3. She has infact played the game. My sincerest apologies to you emma, and your family and all who know you. Can you ever forgive me?

(:D Thankgod this is only a temporary forum)

No, Dom, that's four adventure gamers on this board that have GK3 and haven't played it yet... :p I started it very briefly back when it came out, but Tim Curry's fake accent and the nasty 3D engine kinda put me off (in comparison to GK2, one of my all-time favs) to the point where I put it aside. A lot of people say it's good, though.

And Tamz, have you ever played Morrowind? I'm playing it for PC right now, and addicted as all get out! It's the best RPG I've played in quite some time for sure. It was murder getting it to run right, but about 15 tech forum posts later (at two different forums), here I am. It still sometimes pauses then continues, or occasionally completely freezes when I'm restoring a save, or crashes to the desktop occasionally, :rolleyes: but it seems to do some or all of those things to many of the people who play it. (You should see the Elder Scrolls forum's tech help section-- yikes!) You can save anywhere, though, and its current performance on my Athlon 2100+/9700 Pro Radeon is a great improvement over its initial freezing-every-two-minutes-even-patched. I actually bought the Xbox version when it premiered last year, and that one froze all the time to the point where Morrowind was unplayable as well (and none of my other Xbox games have done that, so I know it wasn't the Xbox)...

yep, dom, I have the original ;) slightly tatty, second-hand original, but original nonetheless.

Minnie: No, I haven't played Morrowind.. it didn't seem entirely my thing .. more hack'n'slash than story based .. is that right? And have you played PST? Cos if you're saying Morrowind is better I may have to kill you :p I may, possibly, have a look at it when I get my new PC (no way it would run on this one) *and* finish all the games I have queued first :)

Tamz: I would actually call it more story-based than hack and slash! It's really not the Diablo/Divine Divinity/Planetscape Torment style. Your character is full-screen size instead of tiny, and the game can be played first person or third depending upon how you set the camera. It's a completely 3D, mouse and keyboard-driven world, and pretty beautiful at that (if a little blocky in the third person character model department).

It's probably 65% exploration/quests to 35% fighting if even that. A lot of the fighting, at least early on in the game where I am, is by choice (to build up certain stats like strength, spellcasting ability and agility). It isn't a game where you can get by without fighting, though, but if you're not against killing and love a fine, mature story and quests, check it out! Just don't be surprised if it crashes to the desktop and/or freezes here and there-- over half the people who play it, even on kicking PCs, experience these occasional problems. Bethesda is practically synonymous with bugs, unfortunately... There's a patch, but my version of the game actually came patched and I still have occasional problems... You can save anywhere, though, so I don't mind that much.

I love swimming, diving for pearls, climbing, exploring, and talking to everybody.

I fell off the top of a lighthouse really early on and took some damage, but I landed in a tree stump below that had an awesome magical axe in it! It makes quick work of the mandatory fights (I won't spoil the story by telling you why certain people may want you dead).

You can also ingest practically everything growing in the scenery, and I actually poisoned myself somewhere along the line and went quite a while with Blight. Nobody would talk to me or trade with me, hee hee.

My Luck stat hasn't elevated at all since I started this game, can ya tell?!

Originally posted by DomStLeger

(:D Thankgod this is only a temporary forum)

This brings up a question of mine: Will the re-opened, full-of-all-goodness, original forum have the posts we have posted here in or struggle to keep our sanity, and this forum, alive?

On a related note, can sanity have life? :o

Originally posted by Skinny Minnie

It's probably 65% exploration/quests to 35% fighting if even that.

Walking around and enjoying the scenery is nice but eventually the quests become extremely repetative and the combat becomes more and more a focus.

I really liked the weather and the sound, despite the bugs its an enjoyable game, I just found its main weakness in the non player characters. Given that its a single player game, the interaction with the games characters should be very personal and engaging, however morrowind throws up a big text box over the whole screen and makes you read pages and pages of indirectly linked information.

Theres great stuff there to read sure, and you can back track the history of the island in great detail. Unfortunately such knowledge is useless when the majority of the quests devolve into 'go here and find this item and bring it back to me'. Most of which require lots of killing.

The free exploration is good fun for a bit of escapism, its just a shame the excellent world engine is let down by poor characterisation and little changes to the story based on your player character's race or statistics. Skipping the main quest entirely and becoming a vampire fixes all that though, a far more enjoyable experience ;) The game is really what you make it in the end which is a great achiement for any RPG. Shame about the 'save the world' story which seems the only plot single player RPGs will get published with.

Archived