Home

BS1 Installation Problems

My friend is having a problem with the copy of BS1 that I loaned him. He is running Windows 2000 Professional on a machine with a 60 gig hard drive. However, when he attempts to install it, it says that there is not enough disk space (even though it only requires 15 megs of space, and he has plenty). Any ideas? I can't figure out what could be wrong.

I guess these are problems with win2k..

I've got the game about a week ago, and also had problems with win2k, so I've installed win98 to play it.

It's working fine now, although there's a problem with the intro movie..

hmm, nevermind. As long as it works..

I had a few problems when I tried replaying it a few months back in win2k (botched colours etc).

It sounds like his hard drive is so huge that the game can't work out its size properly. Remember, BS1 was released bak in 1996 when hard disks weren't 60gb! Maybe making a small 100mb partition might help?

Also, is it NTFS formatted or FAT32? If it's NTFS then the installer may be having problems again with the harddrive. Make that 100mb partition fat32.

Hope that helps, good luck Remixor.

ha, this is funny -- i just struggled through installation on this last night. did you hear me screaming across the bay?

on XP, this problem is resolved by setting the installer to win95 in compatibility mode. once in compatibility mode, the installer recognizes that you have enough free space. i've heard win2k has a way to do compatibility mode (but i don't know how) -- if he can't do it, i read that the other option is to take up all the extra space on the drive by making a bunch of temporary files, and then deleting them after the game is installed. a pain, but apparently it works.

here's the other problem i encountered: this game ONLY wants you to install and play from your D: drive. (i read online that if your D: drive is a second hard drive or a zip disk or whatever, you should actually rename your drives so your CD is D: ). on my computer, D: is the DVD and E: is the CDRW. i first installed using my E: drive and then when i tried to play, the game wouldn't recognize that i'd inserted disk 1. i tried it in both drives and it didn't recognize it in either. i uninstalled and reinstalled using D:, and then it recognized disk 1 in D: and i was able to start the game.

fun thing about the installer... you get to play arknoid (sp?) while you're waiting for files to copy!

:D emily

Thanks for the responses everyone; I actually wasn't sure I'd get any. I think I'm going to have him try Emily's suggestion first (the weird one about creating lots of temp files) since it doesn't seem particularly hard and he's not too tech-savvy. If that doesn't work I'll walk him through a small partition. I've been raving about this game to him for years now, so hopefully we can work something out :)

Thanks again for all your suggestions, guys.

Here's the hard drive solution direct from the Revolution website.

Broken Sword PC - Windows XP

Under XP the game reports insufficient disk space when I have plenty.

The problem is you have too much space. The game mistakes free space over a certain size to be insufficient space. The trick is to fill up your drive until you only have about 6Gb left. Find some large files and make many copies of them in a temporary directory. When the game installs correctly you can delete the temporary file

Of course, it took me awhile to fill up my hard drive so Emily's solution regarding compatability mode for the installer sounds much easier.

Originally posted by pebsmith

The problem is you have too much space. The game mistakes free space over a certain size to be insufficient space. The trick is to fill up your drive until you only have about 6Gb left.

ROFL

[technical]

But a very strange number... It's more likely that they used a BYTE, a WORD or a DWORD that contains the size... The first one can hold up to 0xFF (255) bytes, the second one up to 0xFFFF (65,535) bytes and the last one up to 0xFFFFFFFF (4,294,967,295) bytes... Or around a half if the numbers are signed... :D

[/technical]

Originally posted by fov

ha, this is funny -- i just struggled through installation on this last night. did you hear me screaming across the bay?

We were screaming in tandem. I finally came to the same conclusion that you did - but at 2 a.m. I had little inclination to actually play the game. Hopefully, now that it's installed, it'll work.

I totally forgot, theres an excellent guide to setting up both games at simpleBrokensword. It's basically got exactly what's been suggested here, but still a useful link I hope.

And I just realised the same site (run by Eero from the Revolution Software forums) has posted some previous musical work from Ben McCullough, the guy who is creating the musical soundtrack for Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon. Should be an interesting glimpse of whats to come... Unfortunately the tunes are tempremental buggers, but heres the link if you want a try: http://simplebrokensword.free.fr/article04.html

thanks for the links, dom. i tried going to simplebrokensword when i was having trouble -- either the site was down, or revolution has a bad link to that site.

i really like the music in BS1... is it the same composer who's doing BS3?

-emily

Emily: no, the composer for BS1 and BS2 (someone Barrington) is not returning to do BS3.

Also, I figured I should mention that the filling-the-hard-drive thing worked. It took us hours upon hours, since my friend's computer isn't the fastest and copying big 10GB folders took ages, but it worked like a charm and he's now on his way towards completing one of the best adventure games of all time.

Thanks for the help :)

I had the same problem and I was loading BS on my brand new hard drive.

Put the disc in (but make sure you have autorun disabled). Right click the set up (?) file and use the compatibility tool (you can download this from Microsoft). Make the necessary choices to run the disc as Win98. Hey presto, Robert's your father's brother (or whatever ;) ).

I use WinXP home, but it was a quick and easy solution. I did find a useful website. If anyone would find it of interest, let me know.

BTW, hello all - newbie poster here, but loving the temporary forums almost as much as the real one <sob> :jawa

Archived