Home

time to get in game

Murashu

I know everyone plays differently and I know people dont like having someone elses playstyle forced on them.

With that said I would like to bring up a pet peeve of mine in the online community and see what you guys think.

Naming Policies. Most online games have some sort of policies on what they consider an appropriate name. SWG has a system that is currently broken in beta so I doubt 2 days from now will be any better. Last night I saw a guy named PHUKnut and there are other ones that I havent seen that I am sure don't belong in a Star Wars RPG.

Now personally I don't care what you or your friends call each other at home, school or work. I have been in the Army for 12 years now and believe me I cover all the important swear words on a daily basis. What I hate and I am sure a majority of the people paying to play this game hate to see is some yahoo running around with names like l33t sLaYeR or Luuk Skiwallker.

This is not a game like CS or Q3 or UT where you have to add a guild/clan tag to your name so everyone knows which outfit you belong to. Once the PA is formed and you are invited you get your own little PA tag over your head. You shyould not feel the need to add your profession or hometown or what kind of car you drive into your name.

Pick a name that goes with the flow and feel of Star Wars and not something to get people to notice you. SWG is a very social game and if you havent ever played something like EQ, UO, AC you will find out very quick that reputations follow you. Especially on a single character server you have nowhere to hide if you screw up your rep other than starting completely over or move to a different server. Got off track there....sorry

I am not trying to say every name is bad if it's not a fantasy type name. I just want people to think about how they want other people to see thier character. Good MMORPG's have a tendency to keep people playing for years, so make sure you pick a name you will appreciate in 2, 3, 4 or maybe even 5 years from now.

And always remember YOUR ACTIONS REFLECT UPON THE PA. If we expect to be treated as a topnotch PA on Starsider we have to show our fellow Starsiders we have the maturity to not flame and curse out everyone that does not agree with our ways.

/gets off the soapbox

Ok I'm done, go back to your business

I totally agree. There's nothing I hate more than when some guy named "JediKilla" wants to group. I know that name probably isn't allowed, but my point is still there. Then, everytime I want to message him, I have to type in /tell JediKilla ---, and it's really lame.

oh man.. I was going to have my name 1337 Ch3wb4cc4 pwnz0r w00t! :p jk, I feel the same way, I play some half life mods and the server I admin on gets plauged with idiots with offensive/ stupid names :p

And something else about getting into the game.. Role playing, My character will be an ass at times, since he is usally grumpy and doesn't trust some species.. So If i do piss u off in the game sorry :( I am not an ass in RL (at least i dont think so..)

Originally posted by Jackrabbit

I feel the same way Wraag, and I'm glad you brought it up. I'm going to try to stay in character at all times, so if I piss you off, or make swediot fall madly in love with me, just remember it's my character your having these feelings for, not me.

What's this about swediot? Lol. :D Well that's always a mood killer. Some guy with *Chewy877*. I mean if you have to use the name generator at stratics. I got my name from the zabrak historical society. Vessen I've had in many RPGs but Be means superior and rak means strength. Or at least that's what it says at the ZHS:)

So the name, "Pizza DaHutte" is out of the question? :)

I agree with you completely! I remember back in the days of UO...my character Randall Shade was travelling with my friends Exidor Holyfire, et al...good role-playing names when we would see names like, "TupacOwnsJoo" and stuff like that.

Archived