Home

Poor skeleton.

e3librarys.jpge3teledahns.jpg

Thanks to Havok, realistic object interaction will help make the world of

Uru: Ages Beyond Myst that much more immersive.

It's a demo for the Havok ragdoll physics engine. For those of you unfamiliar, a physics engine assigns physical properties (weight, mass, etc.) to objects and people in the gameworld, the result being that they behave pretty much like they would in the real world. In this case, do whatever you want to the skeleton: hang him, drop him, drag him across the ground, throw rocks at him.

Upcoming games using Havok physics - Deus Ex: Invisible War, Half-Life 2, Thief III, Call of Cthulhu, Max Payne 2, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst. Current games using it - I Was An Atomic Mutant, Desert Rats. Physics engines are usually really exploited in racing games, sports, fighting, and action/adventures. They are rarely, if ever, used in adventure games, but considering Uru, I'm hoping physics will play a pivotal role in puzzlework.

>To Tamzilla> this is right up your alley ;) .

1)To be fair, physics is pretty new to action games, too. (Though gratuitous "ragdoll" deaths have been around for a few years, I suppose :).)

2)This is quite impressive. The number of joints (for a realtime flash demo), the fact that there's range of motion, and "stiffness" of joints, etc.

3)This is more fun than I expected. :dev7:

4)I broke it. :anvil:

Muahahahaha!!!! Die skeleton!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:p

I wonder what Grim Fandango would be if it had some elemnts of action and this physics engine ;).

Anyway, I played around and got the whole body except the head trapped under the steps :p.

Lol twif, how did you break it? *evil grin* :dev7:

This is tons of fun!! And very sophisticated I must say, though the fact that I can easily pull away any joint from the skeleton and it bounces back is a little weird. :D.

Archived