Home

(((Jedi Academy News from JK2Files.com)))

astyanax

Originally posted by lllKyNeSlll

I like the drawing from health version of drain better, however that kinda makes lightning useless so I don't t hink it actually does that. I think its the same way as before. that wood Speed up fighting alot. Also, lights can fight drain now much easier than before, making for 1v1 ff sab worthwhile to be light. But I doubt it is like that and that I misread.

Remember that in SP not every one is a Force user. What effect would Drain have on stormtroopers? So the health version has its reasons and I hope we haven't misread because it seems a better power this way. Maybe it sucks much lesser health than lightning so this last isn't useless.

Originally posted by Sargasso

I think the unfortunate scenario you described is all but in the game as we speak. I would even bet money that something like this will be in the game.

I agree ... and hope we're both wrong.

The even sadder thing was that when I wrote that I was thinking not of anything from JKII, but rather numerous stupid moments in MoH:Speadhead, and also the 'get out of the asteroid' level in MotS.

Stupid forced moments like this are a classic part of FPS history ... and it is about time they become part of history.

If, on the other hand they put it in, but as one of two ways around, cheers to them! We'll groan 'another stupid jump puzzle' at first, then realize 'no, there is another' ... way. ;)

Mike

i dont actually mid jump puzzles as long as they are intuitive and dont seem to have been just placed in there solely for the purpose of making a jump puzzle. About 60% of the original JK was jumping through air vents and so on, but it was a lot of fun.

What bugged me in JO was the stupid "feature" of using the force to "solve puzzles". This tended to mean that there was ONE CRATE that could be force pushed to solve a puzzle, even if you had tried that on loads of INDENTICAL crates and it hadn't worked anything like that. (especially as the crate would slide from one position to another, even if you were pusshing it at a different angle... grrr..

I do hope they make the force powers useful for much more OPTIONAL environmental usage... a bit like the towers when facing dessan. SO if you thought of it you might be able to pull levers and drop crates on people, or push buttons and close doors on them or throw your saber through a pillar and drop a bridge on them.

These should be optional things to do in combat, rather than required puzzles though.

from the article

For example, if you are knocked over in a game, the player who knocked you over can try to stab you while you are on the ground

OMFG!!11!1! Attacking after a knockdown iz lame!1!! This shouldn't be in teh game. You ar gay newb if you attack someone on the ground!1!1!! l33t d00ds don't, because tehy have honor!1. Saber down= peace!1!!

Did I get that right? I can hear the whining already :D

Originally posted by toms

What bugged me in JO was the stupid "feature" of using the force to "solve puzzles".

Kind of like in MotS. :cool: Hey - I can see secret stuff some of the time with these glasses on! :( Now without them, not only can't I see the switch ... I can't use it!

I do hope they make the force powers useful for much more OPTIONAL environmental usage... a bit like the towers when facing dessan. SO if you thought of it you might be able to pull levers and drop crates on people, or push buttons and close doors on them or throw your saber through a pillar and drop a bridge on them.

These should be optional things to do in combat, rather than required puzzles though.

I know the Q3 engine can do more environmental stuff, as I kept bumoing into chairs in RtCW ... I'd like to see as much interaction as possible. I liked in JK / MotS how you could 'bump' some things around (but again, not all). Only new engine games seem likely to have more interaction, and I'm betting that will be more limited than currently promised as the realities of system specs come into play ...

Mike

Originally posted by Prime

OMFG!!11!1! Attacking after a knockdown iz lame!1!! This shouldn't be in teh game. You ar gay newb if you attack someone on the ground!1!1!! l33t d00ds don't, because tehy have honor!1. Saber down= peace!1!!

Did I get that right? I can hear the whining already :D

:ball:

Am I crying as I laugh ... or because it is so sadly true ...

Mike

What bugged me in JO was the stupid "feature" of using the force to "solve puzzles". This tended to mean that there was ONE CRATE that could be force pushed to solve a puzzle, even if you had tried that on loads of INDENTICAL crates and it hadn't worked anything like that. (especially as the crate would slide from one position to another, even if you were pusshing it at a different angle... grrr..

I agree 100%.

Unfortunately, you've just described is probably how Half-Life 2 is going to work (without the force of course) instead of Jedi Academy.

:(

I liked the force puzzles and was sorry to see that they gradually faded as the game went on. The force test on yavin was a great level for me the first time I played it. I agree however that they should make a bit more sense. The bizzarely moving crates were silly.

Unfortunately, you've just described is probably how Half-Life 2 is going to work (without the force of course) instead of Jedi Academy.

Now lets not get our hopes down. Even if JKJA didn't have the awsome physics *drools* of Half-Li- *wipes saliva off chin*woops :p . Even if JKJA doesn't have the whole keg of beer, I'm sure it will have its own bottles of vintage wine.

AKA: JKJA might not be the best of the best best bestest best. It will always have something that will make us look back and say, no other game did that the way they did it, or that was so unique and cool.

On the dismemberment topic, I was playing JO the other day and loaded up The Pit level in Single player and as I was battling Tavion, I pressed the strafe button and held down the primary attack button, my lightsaber hit her in the neck and her head flew off and she collapsed to the ground. I don't have any mods and I didn't have any cheats on, other than loading that level, it was pretty cool.

Originally posted by Sargasso

I agree 100%.

:(

Actually, much of that is how stuff in Deus Ex worked ...

There are useful limits to environmental interaction, too. I played a bit of a demo for some new FPS (was it Destruction or ? I can't recall) ... it was pretty lousy, but the thing was you could interact with just about everything. The result - I was walking through a tool shop and stuff was just raining down aroung me, clanking everywhere ... totally frustrating!

*IF* HL2 comes off as the tech demo seemed to show (and remember, they were using hardware in May superior to what 98% (TMN - totally made-up number) of gamers will have when people get their hands on the game in early October (if)) - then it will be truly a revolution in FPS gaming technology. It (again, assuming not too many compromises before release) will greatly leapfrog all existing standards of interaction and immersion. But will it be a revolution in anything but technology? Who knows. It will certainly not be Star Wars, nor will Gordon Freeman be a Jedi, light or dark, so the game is already at a disadvantage in my book :)

Jedi Academy represents evolutionary technology and evolutionary gameplay. So long as they step forward on all fronts (regardless of the relative size of the steps) I will be more than sattisfied with Raven/LEC and the game. That's just me.

Mike

Archived