Home

Syberia coming to... Xbox!?

Hmm... Not sure what happened here. I didn't even think it would post, but apparently it posted without putting any message in. The forum has been really slow for me lately, and I gave up on it because I had better things to do. (I can't tell you what exactly, but here's a hint: it starts with KotOR.)

Anyway, the whole point was this: Syberia is coming to Xbox, and I don't know if that's such a hot idea. First, the game's been out for almost a year. It's not exactly red-hot anymore, even with a sequel coming out soon. Second, despite its prettiness, it's not a hardware-intensive game. Anybody with a PC newer than mine (3 years old), and quite a few people with older PCs than mine can play Syberia with ease. Which means that their target market is Mac users with Xboxes. Yep, this port is gonna be huge! Third, there are many reasons this could go wrong: lazy port, bad control conversion, lack of marketing (or poor marketing). If it does go wrong, and the game sells like 4 copies, and that was to affect the Xbox release of, say, Broken Sword 3, I would not be a happy camper. Unfortunately, I think I made these points better and more coherently in my first, obliterated post.

Anyway, it's obviously going to happen. The release date is less than two weeks away. At this point, I think they might have done better to wait a few months and bundle it with the sequel, charging closer to the price of a typical Xbox game, rather than its $20 price point. But, in spite of my doubts, I hope it does well. It might encourage other adventure developers/publishers to bring their games to consoles. I just hope it doesn't have the opposite effect if it flops.

why not release the game on xbox?

Microids are in desperate need of cash and to do a quick conversion will probably make them a profit even if it sells badly. We've seen developers trying to open up the genre to new audiences and bring it to the limelight again with conversions of Monkey Island, Atlantis 3, Myst 3: Exile and Shadow Of Memories, it can only be a good thing that Syberia will follow too..

Originally posted by feisar

it can only be a good thing that Syberia will follow too..

yep i believe also that it is good as the adventures get more and more ground in the consoles.

But

what if it goes really bad...??? wouldn't that "destroy" a little microids (don't forget that some months ago it was on the cliff before bankrupt...they are ok now but)...and also discurage the others companies from continuing the struggle to the consoles???

Because the game has already been developed for the PC, its not gonna cost microids very much to convert the game, they will probably be into profit even if the game completely sinks without a trace, which isnt likely because its syberia!! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by feisar

Because the game has already been developed for the PC, its not gonna cost microids very much to convert the game, they will probably be into profit even if the game completely sinks without a trace, which isnt likely because its syberia!! :rolleyes:

yes but don't forget the cost of sipping and bla bla...

and syberia has been bought in PC and PS2...how can there be more that it will buy it in X-Box. I mean the buyers shall be only if the gamers have only X-Box and only by reading the good reviews and saying, "lets try that, they say its good"...

{oh...and its good to see you back feisar...where have you been :) }

I never got around to buying the game for PC. Seeing that it'll be $19.99 on the Xbox (compared to $29.99 for the PC version at most retailers) I'll get that version. As somebody mentioned, that can only be a good thing.

Originally posted by AGZanthia

The question is will there be many people who would like to by syberia for x-box. Most of those who have consoles are more interested in fighting and action.

well that's not so true. Consoles have many good games and not figting and actiony most...there are revolution and very interesting...Sometimes i hoped i have all the consoles so as to play all those superb games :D

Yes, the adventure game must try to cover all the platforms, it can only be beneficial! My main concern, however, is that one platform shouldn't suffer just for the sake of another platform. There seems to be a current trend of sh#t quality cross-platform games - Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness and Enter The Matrix being the worst offenders; this is unforgivable, especially if you consider how much time and money (millions of dollars, mind you) went into production.

My next important concern is how the adventure game will be marketed to a much wider, more diverse audience. Too many times there is this sort 'incestuous' and hermetic way of pimping adventures. Word of mouth may work on a limited level, but now that we're on the verge of breaking into a mainstream market (as computer and videogames now compete alongside movies as major entertainment sources), the word of mouth tactic is weak, and adventure game publishers would be incredibly stupid to just rely almost exclusively on the gaming community and websites to push their products.

Originally posted by pleto4_ryan

well that's not so true. Consoles have many good games and not figting and actiony most...there are revolution and very interesting... :D

R they ags? The question was how much people with x-box would like to play AG?

Consoles by their very nature have always been known mainly for the more superficial, 'twitch' genres: action, platformers, fighting, and sports. As it currently stands, you don't usually see 'deep', complex games. This has a lot to do with consoles' technical limitations. Until recently, such memory and graphically intensive games were too much so for the last generation of consoles (PS1, N64, etc.). But I foresee the next gen (PS3, Xbox2, etc.) to finally catch up just behind the PC in terms of the complexities of future titles beyond what current consoles are capable of.

Adventure games, RPGs, sims, and strategy games are essentially more formal than other genres. You 'sit down to' an adventure game compared to, say, a fighting game on the Xbox where you 'plop down' on the couch and pick it up just like that - a no-brainer. Consoles are very convenient that way. Therefore I imagine that the adventure game would have to be marketed in such a way as to perhaps convey to the player that they should slow down to play it, that it is not game you just grab and go. You 'twitch' with your brain, not your analog pushing thumbs.

Consoles by their very nature have always been known mainly for the more superficial, 'twitch' genres: action, platformers, fighting, and sports. As it currently stands, you don't usually see 'deep', complex games

That exactly what I was talking about

This has a lot to do with consoles' technical limitations. Until recently, such memory and graphically intensive games were too much so for the last generation of consoles (PS1, N64, etc.).

Dunno. I am not into thise kind of staff.

You 'sit down to' an adventure game compared to, say, a fighting game on the Xbox where you 'plop down' on the couch and pick it up just like that - a no-brainer.

That just what I was trying 2 say.

adventure game would have to be marketed in such a way as to perhaps convey to the player that they should slow down to play it, that it is not game you just grab and go.

First of all they shuold explain 2 console player what is that ag thing and explain it in such a way that he would want 2 try it. It depends on adverticing very much.

hmm thats not really fair. Console gamers are usually the same people as PC gamers!!

Arcade style action/puzzle/racing/etc.. is not the be all and end of of consoles and it never has been, in the same way that the PC gets labelled as having FPS & RTS and nothing else. Both are not true and just crappy stereotypes.

Adventure games have been on consoles for as long as they've been on the PC. From Shadow Gate on the NES, Clock Tower on the SNES up to modern day stuff like the imfamous Shadow Of Memories.

RPG's are another genre worth a mention to back up my point here. Most RPG's designed for the PC (Baldur's Gate, Diablo, Neverwinter Nights..) are action based hack & slash type affairs.. while the console counterparts (Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, Skies Of Arcadia..) rely more on elaborate plots, are turn based with slower more thoughtful combat, have no button bashing/action sequences and in the case of Squaresoft titles FMV cut scenes that can last half an hour a time! This style of console RPG has been the strongest selling genre for well over two decades in japan and sells in high numbers worldwide too..

The PC can have console style stuff like Crazy Taxi, Midtown Madness, Virtua Tennis and Anachronox.. while the consoles have many high profile non-action based titles like ICO, Silent Hill, Herdy Gerdy and Pikmin..

i bet there are plenty of moms and dads out there who wouldn't mind taking a spin to Syberia on junior's x-box after he's gone to bed. there are always going to be those people who have no clue about computer games, but think of video games and consoles like peanut butter and jelly. why not slather some peanut butter on ol' kate and see how she does?

though i must admit, the lower price doesn't seem fair.

-emily

Originally posted by fov

i bet there are plenty of moms and dads out there who wouldn't mind taking a spin to Syberia on junior's x-box after he's gone to bed. there are always going to be those people who have no clue about computer games, but think of video games and consoles like peanut butter and jelly.

Well, this was one of the points I brought up. Will the publishers market Syberia to that particular 'mom and dad', and how will they do it? As it stands, 'mom and dad' have this idea that consoles are simply toys for the kiddies, how can the marketing team convince parents (and other kinds of grownups for that matter) that they can also use the console as a source of entertainment that they can find value in? Do they even know that consoles can provide games that cater to and respect their intelligence level? On a related note, Broken Sword 3 will also be launched on the consoles. I wonder how Revolution's marketing hires will pitch it.

I'm not necsessarily saying that consoles are limited in their potential appeal towards a specific niche market (adventure gamers). I'm just truly interested in what the marketing peoples' strategies will be: How do you sell a deep, immersive, story driven, slower paced, puzzle intensive adventure game to a crowd whose main platform is almost exclusively known for its fast paced, button mashing twitch games? How do you cut through the reputation, the stereotype?

Originally posted by Homoludens

How do you sell a deep, immersive, story driven, slower paced, puzzle intensive adventure game to a crowd whose main platform is almost exclusively known for its fast paced, button mashing twitch games? How do you cut through the reputation, the stereotype?

Apparently by announcing its existence a week before you release it and then going back to bed.

This is one of my big fears here. I know Syberia is a good game. (Feel free to insert your assertions to the contrary here. I am also willing to suggest other places you can insert them.) I'm more worried that a) The port from PC to console will be a poor one, especially in terms of controls; b) Microids/XS will not adequately market the game; or c) All of the above.

Certainly, I hope my worries are proven to be unfounded. But while I can't speak to the first concern, it already seems like they're behind in marketing. I mean, the game comes out tomorrow! I'm all in favor of putting adventures on consoles; I've already stated that I intend to get BS3 on the Xbox, if for no other reason than the fact that I know I won't have to upgrade my Xbox to run it. But if you're going to release an adventure for a console, especially a game that wasn't originally designed for consoles, do it right. Try to drum up a little word-of-mouth, at least. Which brings me to my next question: why isn't The Adventure Company publishing this? It's been said before, but whatever you think of the quality of the games they publish, they put the whole weight of their company behind them. And they already published the PC version; why not this one?

I feel like I'm rambling in a rather mean-spirited way, so I'm cutting myself off now. If anybody picks this up, please let me know what you think of it. I really, really hope my gut feeling on it is wrong.

"After the PC success Syberia enjoyed both commercially and critically, picking up the Xbox version was a no-brainer," said Steve Grossman, CEO of XS Games. "The pure adventure genre is pretty inexistent on the actual console market and we're convinced there is an audience for this type of game among the Xbox players."

Hmm. Well, let's just put it in the most gentle way possible: Console Syberia is commercially f@#ked even before it hits the stores. Microids and XS Games are committing the same crime that Konami had with Shadow of Destiny - fanfare-lacking port release, horrible or non-existent marketing strategy, and possibly a shoddy port in and of itself. If there is - as XS Games' Mr. Grossman so vaguely put it - an audience within the console market for this title, then why aren't they actively seeking that market out? Where are the ads? Where are the spots on cable t.v.? Wouldn't you think that with Syberia II looming on the horizon that they would really try to cash in on all this particularly since the console (Xbox) has wider mainstream audience base, far more so than the niche market based PC adventure?

Thanks for taking over for me in the bitter adventure gamer department, Trep. It gave me time to go make pancakes, and I'm feeling much better now. :)

Originally posted by Homoludens

...non-existent marketing strategy...

I believe the word you're looking for is "inexistent." :rolleyes:;)

Originally posted by amishler

Thanks for taking over for me in the bitter adventure gamer department, Trep. It gave me time to go make pancakes, and I'm feeling much better now. :)

PBsmile1a.gif You need to vent more, hon.

Mmmmm. Pancakes. as-drool.gifliplick.gif

Originally posted by amishler

I believe the word you're looking for s "inexistent." :rolleyes:;)

Either or. :D (I love Merriam-Webster's online sound bite pronunciations)

It gave me time to go make pancakes, and I'm feeling much better now.

yes, but did you slather them with peanut butter?

i'm interested to see how they market it, too, but i fear they won't. it's too bad -- syberia got so much attention in the mainstream press last year (was it tech tv who ran the segment?) but unless some of the same hype gets repeated this time around, it's been too long to capitalize on that...

-emily

Archived