Home

Be prepared, this really got me ticked off

JediMasterEd

LEBANON, Ind. (CBS/AP) A woman who called the parents of a missing girl and claimed she may be their long-lost daughter was charged Wednesday with committing a cruel hoax.

"We don't know what her motivation was and it is impossible for us to guess. We live in an age today where people like to receive attention," said state police 1st Sgt. Dave Bursten.

Donna L. Walker, 35, of Topeka, Kan., faces a felony charge of identity deception and a misdemeanor charge of false reporting. Her whereabouts were not known on Wednesday, authorities said.

Walker called the parents of Shannon Marie Sherrill, who vanished in 1986 at age 6 as she played hide-and-seek, and also is believed to have contacted news organizations to spread word about the possible break in the case, said Bursten.

He described her actions as a "cruel hoax."

CBS News Corrspondent Drew Levinson reports the girl's family arrived at the conference thinking they were about to be reunited with their daughter. Instead they got the news of the hoax.

"I thought they were going to bring Shannon in here. I thought this was something," said William Michael Sherrill, the missing girl's father, who broke down in tears after the hoax announcement.

Authorities had planned DNA tests to determine whether the woman was the child.

Bursten said investigators did not know a motive for the hoax. Walker had given three different fictitious names to investigators in recent days, he said.

Bursten said the hoax had "emotionally, physically and mentally exhausted the immediate and extended family of Shannon Sherrill."

Jody Ames, an aunt of the missing girl, said the last several days had been draining on the family.

"It's been a very big roller coaster," she said. "We've been up and down, we've hoped for the best. We still hope for the best. We can only hope and pray."

Shannon vanished Oct. 5, 1986, outside her mother's mobile home in Thorntown, about 30 miles northwest of Indianapolis. Hundreds of people scoured fields and wooded lots for three days after the disappearance.

I've heard some crazy hoaxes but OH MY GOD! I hope they get this woman and throw her in prison for a long time.

we've been covering that here at work the past few days...

first of all the cops never told the parents until right before the press conference that the woman was a fake... what dicks!

second... the woman has apparently done this before...

third... NOW she claims to have a ton of personalities!

OMG. cmon, if someone has been gone that long, get the bloody **** over it. why were the parents so hopeful? pathetic that someone would even believe that lie, they must still be living in the past. :rofl:

sorry, but **** like this just amuzes me. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Rogue15

OMG. cmon, if someone has been gone that long, get the bloody **** over it. why were the parents so hopeful? pathetic that someone would even believe that lie, they must still be living in the past. :rofl:

*smacks* Don't talk outta your ass, young grasshopper >_>

This is terrible. What people would do to get attention... :rolleyes:

don't throw her in prison. that'd be a waste of tax money!!!!

what would be better for the family, is if they faked a corpse, and verified dna, and stuff so they could just get over it.

then the girl really comes out and finds her parents and they don't accept her. :evil2:

Originally posted by Rogue15

Perhaps if you've ever lost a child you'll know what it feels like to be in their shoes and have someone say what she said.

I think it's a disgrace that somebody would stoop so low as to do such a thing :indif:

yes, it's sick and disturbing....but 20 years?!!?!?!?!?111!!!!

those cops WERE jackasses.

btw i dislike anyone below the age of 12. and i don't ever plan on having children, as i can't stand them, or being around people that have them (baby talk never ceases to prevent my brain from thinking homocidal thoughts) besides, it would hate me for being put through public school.

Archived