Home

Datheus, PHP, and MySQL Oh My!

Datheus

Ah.. Yes. It's that time again! I've got a question and can't think of anywhere better to turn to.

I'm looking to start teaching myself PHP and I've got no idea where to start. With what reading I *have* done... PHP seems to be tightly related to MySQL, which I am also clueless about. Would it be best if I learned about one and then the other or just do both at the same time?

But where do I find the resources? Anyone know of some good sites? Or maybe even a good book.

And feel free to throw in whatever knowledge you may help me in my journy :) Maybe a better alteranative or another seemingly status quo for site development.

And... maybe someone knows of a more "appropriate" place for me to ask these kinds of tech questions.. I've never really been able to find one :(

'google' for it.. thats the way i do.. :)

sorry i cant really give you an advice on php (so this is spam then?? ;) )

but if i have .. problems with such things as reports, db's, sql and coding it was always helpful to google around and gain some info's .. or more.

But i have already some 'experience' and sometimes just need a 'hint' ..

if i got it right you start from zero .. ??

Well, I have googled it... Didn't help me that much... Obviously PHP isn't as user friendly as HTML and JavaScript (of which I already know.. obviously) .. so it seems to be a bit harder to get into the game, you know?

I've read a bit of the stuff on PHP.net but I just feel like I'm missing something important (What I don't know... it's just this gut feeling) in the beginning that's gonna come back and bite me in the ass later :(

I spose I'll just have too look harder! Damned effort!

And if anyone knows about some sort of tech forum...

Originally posted by Datheus

Hmm. Gonk told me PHP was "so two years ago"... Said I should get into ASP...

What's your take on that? Hell, I don't even know what ASP is :(

Its gonk, what did you except. :)

I got no clue, google that too, I guess. :D

Originally posted by matt-windu

ASP being the language of the future is microsoft propaganda.

PHP is great and is up there with PERL, imo. Both will outlast ASP.

Is PHP hard to learn? I know a bit of HTML and CSS and am starting to think about learning PHP if it's not too hard. That way I can see if it's as good as you guys keep saying it:D

Originally posted by matt-windu

ASP being the language of the future is microsoft propaganda.

PHP is great and is up there with PERL, imo. Both will outlast ASP.

pffffffffffft. nonsense :D Microsoft is god!

but yeah, it probably is MS propaganda.... Oh well.... it got me into it :)

It's quite good though....

But start off with PHP... it's not hard to get the hang of once you get into it.

Archived