Home

Will you be able to use the saber in 1st person mode?

Tyler_Durden

As this is a first person game (supposedly) i was wondering if you could use the saber in the first person. I pretty much played all of outcast in 1st person. I really didn't like playing in 3rd that much. I think for me the immersion factor is at its peak when in 1st person mode. As i haven't seen any trailers where the player is using the saber in the first person, do you think Raven has taken it out? I hope not as this kind of makes or breaks a purchase for me. Yeah you'll think i'm stupid and whatnot but i really want this in the game. Maybe someone from Raven can answer this?

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

I pretty much played all of outcast in 1st person. I really didn't like playing in 3rd that much. I think for me the immersion factor is at its peak when in 1st person mode.

I'm with you and made the same question in the past. Now I'm sure (asked and seen a screenshot) that in MP you still have the CG_FPLS cvar and if no trasparent skins are available we could still use the one of Kyle from JO.

I really hope 1st person mode is an option also in SP.

I thought I read somewhere that they took it out, because there wasn't a lot of positive feedback about it from JO. They have stated that the best way to fight with lightsabers is in 3rd person anyway. And I'm sure some of the new moves would be hard to pull off/direct if you were in 1st person mode.

I'll see if i can dig up where I read it.

Originally posted by GonkH8er

I thought I read somewhere that they took it out, because there wasn't a lot of positive feedback about it from JO. They have stated that the best way to fight with lightsabers is in 3rd person anyway. And I'm sure some of the new moves would be hard to pull off/direct if you were in 1st person mode.

I'll see if i can dig up where I read it.

I can't really understand why there should be negative feedback FOR AN OPTION. Don't like it? Don't use it!

I really hope this isn't the case. It's not the same game for me without 1st person in SP. For MP i'm not worried anymore. Like I said I've seen it, althought with a "solid" model that covers your sight but easily fixable with the trasparent Kyle skin.

Anyway, I'd like to see the source you read if you dig it up.

Originally posted by Nemios

I can't really understand why there should be negative feedback FOR AN OPTION. Don't like it? Don't use it!

Although I have no use for 1st person sabver, I completely agree - the more options the better.

Perhaps people were messing up the options check boxes and getting stuck in 1st person saber and not realizing how to get out.

Personally, I find 3rd person saber most immersive, just as 1st person shooting ... I feel it is me doing the moves. For a shooter, the camera feels like my eyes in first person, but with a saber, I feel in 1st person like I'm looking through a camera strapped to Kyle'd (or Jaden's, soon) head ...

But again, I hope the choice is there for you weirdos ( ;) ) who prefer it that way.

Mike

Well, nagging at the back of my mind somewhere is the idea that I read somewhere you will still be able to use 1st person for sabers and 3rd person for guns. Recently. But I can't find the article/interview where it was mentioned. :(

However, this screenshot from the recent PC.IGN.com article, clearly shows your character in 3rd person holding a gun (not a saber), while using Force lightning, so I can't see them allowing that, and not including 1st person sabers again. ;)

Well, technically I think the camera in most FPS games is more like chest level... considering how they always show your gun prominently in the view shot, but in third person you can see the player is clearly holding their gun at hip level most of the time.

Ditto for the saber. Or else the person is really short and holding it up to their eye in First Person.

So in a sense while First Person is intended to be more immersive, it can still feel "off" if you think about it.

I did think the first person lightsaber looked cool, and I hope we can at least use CG_FPLS 1 if nothing else...

I'm skeptical about first person lightsaber. I highly doubt it'll be in by default, because it was the only weapon that showed the user's arms. Now that we have various hilts and arms based on our custom characters, wouldn't they need a 3D engine that rendered the character's full body while in first person and not just the seperate weapons models?

CG_FPLS in Outcast works only in MP and since version 1.03. In SP wasn't needed 'cause it already had the 1st person feature. It worked in a different way; camera wasn't attached exactly in the same position and you couldn't do special moves like wall walk, rolls, backstabs, etc. so MP was better.

The trasparent skin was only one for every model. So if you used, for example, Luke model, which has black arms, in MP 1st person you still saw Kyle's brown arms. It would be too much to have a trasparent skin for each model. So I think that if the feature is still there in JA we will have only one trasparent skin, which is not a big deal.

1st person for the lightsaber is not really a problem, actually is easier than weapons. For the saber you have only to change a skin and reposition your camera, for weapons you have to change what you usually see. Weapons in 1st person don't "move" like when you use 3rd person. You would understand what I'm trying to explain if you ever used the MOD "Master of the Force", where you could use a "real view" also for weapons.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

Yeah well it had better be in there with every single combination available. From what i have seen, it looks a lot better than outcast in terms of scale. However if it is not in, would you guys know how to mod the game so that we could have it in?

I'm part of the 'I can't imagine it NOT still being there as an option' crowd, but if it isn't I'm sure it will be there as a console command or ... a cheat. As for mods, you'll probably have to wait until after either 9/17 or 17/9, whichever comes first ;)

Mike

Archived