Home

come on wheres the movies, it adds so much to a game...

Sithxace

the movies in jediknight created such a good effect to the game, they were done nicely too. So is the gaming industry just cheap? or they think they can pull cutscenes off with the crappy in-game movies? I guess the only company i can count on to do this with games are Microsoft, but then again u expect it when they mmake like 100 trillion dollars a year.

(posted many posts cause it all got build up from not postin for a year)

According to LA guys, the JK cutscenes were just not determined to be cost effective. You have a budget close to a small movie (Emperor: Battle for Dune had similar cutscenes) and for what?

So people can watch them maybe twice, and then that's it.

With rising production costs, companies have gone for shorter development cycles, and thus, "cheaper" cutscenes.

So all we can expect from JA is some scripted "game engine" cutscenes + a few pre-rendered ship fly-bys.

I liked the old cutscenes, warts and all, but most game developers just can't afford to do them like that anymore.

But the problem then arises is when people make Models of the game, they wouldn't appear in the pre-rendered cutscenes that you want unless you want to spends days or probably close to weeks just making a cutscene, like Kurgan was saying, that people would only seen once, whereas with using in-game engine cutscenes, people will feel more a part of the game when they see THEIR model that they made in the cutscene doing whatever. The idea is cost-effective and also geared towards the mod community.

No offense, but the acting in JK was pretty poor...especially when they tried to add the smallest bit of fighting in. Of course, in MOTS, where they tried in-game cutscenes, they were possibly worse, but that's because the Mara Jade voice actor was...pretty poor, IMHO.

And making all the cutscenes in 3dsMax? That'd be a much larger files size, and woukd basically cripple the modding community, unless of course the OPTION of usingin game cinematics was left.

I actually thought the in-game cinematics were pretty good. They were able to do more with them, make them longer, show some fighting, really make sure you knew hat was happening. And there's some stuff I KNOW they wouldn't have done in JK- like the Kyle Force Grip on Tavion, for example.

I found the JKII cutscenes and in-game scripted sequences MUCH more immersive than the JK movies. Perhaps because of the fact that they *were* movies, and distictly NOT part of the game.

As has been said, the cost for a 'AAA' title is in the millions, when it comes to voice acting, dev teams, tools, hardware, marketing, etc, etc ... not trivial - especially if you are Ritual/Activision sitting on Elite Force II, a decent game, but will it recoup the costs of all of the dev work, the licenses, and the voice acting?

Mike

I dunno, I thought Mara's voice suited her perfectly.

And I once read something that Lucasarts was rather displeased with the live action cutscenes that after that they had sworn to NEVER use live actors in any of their cutscenes in games ever again. And 6 year later on they're still doing fine with keeping that vow O_o

Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt

I dunno, I thought Mara's voice suited her perfectly.

You mean from the MotS cutscenes? I liked the voice, but the graphics were pretty bad :eek: especially since they dno't scale like the rest of the game (i.e. they look even worse at 1600x1200 than they did when I first played it at 640x480!)

Mike

Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt

Hehe, well I can agree that the looks aren't all that, but meh, I like the game anywho, it's good fun. I'm actually replaying it right now to pass the time untill JA comes out. Problem is... I'm already at lvl. 10 again... lol

I know this doesn't belong here, but ... I really hated Level #5 - where you cut the underwater coolant things then have barely enough time to get out ... for a game that I really love, that is one big pitfall ...

Mike

Originally posted by Andy867

But the problem then arises is when people make Models of the game, they wouldn't appear in the pre-rendered cutscenes that you want unless you want to spends days or probably close to weeks just making a cutscene, like Kurgan was saying, that people would only seen once, whereas with using in-game engine cutscenes, people will feel more a part of the game when they see THEIR model that they made in the cutscene doing whatever. The idea is cost-effective and also geared towards the mod community.

I really like this aspect of the scripted cutscenes. I use a modified Mace Windu model, and it is cool to have it in all the cutscenes of the SP game. For a game that is so modder friendly, not having an easy (relatively) way to do cutscenes would be a big disadvantage. Besides, I find these cutscenes just as immersive as the video ones. I think JO did a good job in this respect.

In any event, as games engines and graphics get better, the cutscenes done this way will be as well. I mean, just look how far things have come from those MOTS cutscenes to JO :)

Originally posted by Prime

I really like this aspect of the scripted cutscenes. I use a modified Mace Windu model, and it is cool to have it in all the cutscenes of the SP game.

So Mace shows up in all of the in-game stuff, but not the pre-rendered scenes (e.g. 'so much for the blue milk run')?

Cool ...

Funny thing - the CGI from Dark Forces (you might have heard I just finished it again ;) ) looks better than the in-game for MotS ... not bad, really.

Mike

Well it depends.

If the cutscenes tell a story that happened before you or after you came(à la DiabloII) then maybe cutscenes should do it. I other words, like in DiabloII, you don't appear in the cutscenes.

And cutscenes would take a crazy amount of disk space(or number of CDs). They would have to make 2000 cinematics for each possible caracter model x number of regular in-game cinematics required.

That's too big and undoable.

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

And cutscenes would take a crazy amount of disk space(or number of CDs). They would have to make 2000 cinematics for each possible caracter model x number of regular in-game cinematics required.

That's too big and undoable.

Exactly, I'm surprised no one has taken into account that your character is almost completely customizable...

Originally posted by txa1265

So Mace shows up in all of the in-game stuff, but not the pre-rendered scenes (e.g. 'so much for the blue milk run')?

Cool ...

Which isn't an issue, since Kyle isn't in any of those anyway :) I have replaced a bunch of models with custom ones (like Desann and Tavion), and the cutscenes all work great.

Originally posted by Prime

Which isn't an issue, since Kyle isn't in any of those anyway :) I have replaced a bunch of models with custom ones (like Desann and Tavion), and the cutscenes all work great.

There's at least one cutscene where your custom model is replaced by Kyle in JO. It's when you finish your mission in Kejim and you are watched by Desann via camera, because obviously the monitor Desann watch is a plain texture, not a 3d model. :cool:

Archived