Home

Nerfed Tenloss - WHY?

Jeff 42

Okay, I think this problem deserves its own thread. In JK2 after firing a charged up Tenloss shot you could immediately zoom out and start moving at full speed, jump, change weapons, etc. In fact, any good sniper would, more often than not, click to zoom out right after firing. In JA after firing a charged up shot you're stuck in the zoomed in mode for maybe a second, in which time the only action you can perform is a slow walk. This is incredibly annoying, and I simply do not understand the logic behind this gameplay change at all. Did people complain that the Tenloss was too powerful and needed to be nerfed somehow? Heck no. In other FPS games with sniper weapons are you stuck in the zoomed in mode for a second before you can move after firing? I don't think so (correct me if I'm wrong). Raven took what was my favorite weapon in JK2 and made it both a lot less effective and a lot less fun to use with this completely unnecessary change. In the inevitable first patch to JA this needs to be changed back to how it was in JK2. Anyone who agrees please speak up.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JA is not a patch for JO, it's a new game, technically with new weapons. If the sniper rifle in this new game happens to not be as useful as the sniper rifle in that other, older game, it's merely a fact of life, and it's up to you to make mods that change that if you wish. Don't go screaming "PATCH!" five minutes after you've bought the game though.

Originally posted by Spider AL

JA is not a patch for JO, it's a new game, technically with new weapons. If the sniper rifle in this new game happens to not be as useful as the sniper rifle in that other, older game, it's merely a fact of life, and it's up to you to make mods that change that if you wish. Don't go screaming "PATCH!" five minutes after you've bought the game though.

We're allowed to say whatever changes we want to see in the game, and you can't do a thing about it. How do you think patches are made? Half of it is from crisitism from the community. Oh, its been five days since I got the game, thats more than long enough.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks

We're allowed to say whatever changes we want to see in the game, and you can't do a thing about it. How do you think patches are made? Half of it is from crisitism from the community. Oh, its been five days since I got the game, thats more than long enough.

I know, some people like to say "learn and adapt it's a new game" just so they can say "ohh ohh me too" and get recognition as being someone with a stance that puts them on the "anti whiner" side of the fence.

Just ignore them, their opinions are baseless and contain nothing more than cliché and trite catch phrases.

And yes Jeff, it was and is a pointless nerf that makes about as much sense as the grip line of sight nerf.

AL and others, please keep in mind this game is 80% Jedi Outcast content and mechanics.

I hate to burst your bubble and pop the illusion that you are deluding yourself with but there is very little "new content" to learn and master other than 1 new gun and 2 new saber stances with a very limited number of swings.

Sorry guys, someone had to bring you back to the real world.

Sorry guys, someone had to bring you back to the real world.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Ok time for dinner break!

:rolleyes: For the most part JA is the same game as JO, with all the same weapons, and a few additions and changes. If one of these changes is one that almost everyone (who has an opinion on the subject, at least) would agree is a change for the worse, then of course they should change it back. Do you really think this game is not going to be patched at all? It seems to me from what I've seen and heard that it was rushed to release and has quite a few problems. We can only hope that the first patch, which almost undoubtedly will arrive at some point, will fix the problems (this Tenloss issue most definitely being one of them) and make a game that we can all agree is very good.

We're allowed to say whatever changes we want to see in the game, and you can't do a thing about it.
Incorrect actually. One thing I can do is sit here and tell you exactly what sort of damage premature patching can do.

You've owned the game for five days, you say? And you think that's long enough to evaluate the dynamic sufficiently to understand exactly where and what all relevant imbalances in the gameplay structure are? That's nonsense. It can take months to LEARN a game, never mind about evaluating its gameplay objectively.

Last year, JO came out, and shortly after its release a bunch of nutters came onto this very forum network demanding that Raven patch the game on their whims. The patch that was subsequently released ruined the game, because not only were the nutters who were asking for the patch highly immature and selfish, but they had not allowed enough time to truly understand the game and its gameplay. Three-six months is my estimate, and even that's generous.

How do you think patches are made? Half of it is from crisitism from the community.
I'm well aware of how patches are made Mr. Patronising, I lived through the carnage that was JO v.1.03. Patches are negative if released prematurely. If rushed. If forced through by fanatics who demand instant change to gratify their whims. It's that simple.

Stay calm, play the game, wait for a while.

I hate to burst your bubble and pop the illusion that you are deluding yourself with but there is very little "new content" to learn and master other than 1 new gun and 2 new saber stances with a very limited number of swings.
The originality of the content of a game is irrelevant, sausage dog. FPS games have been derivative of quake for years. That doesn't make them Quake mods. JA is a new game, not a mod. A mod adds content to an existing engine. This is a new engine and new content. Learn the game.

:rolleyes: For the most part JA is the same game as JO, with all the same weapons, and a few additions and changes.
Don't roll those eyes at me, sonny. JK1 was the best game of 1997/8, and there are many things that were good about JK1 that JO didn't have. I'm not running around demanding that instant force jump on a key tap be inserted, am I. I'm not demanding the return of a ranged power like Destruction, am I. I'm not demanding a faster paced game now, am I. Know why? Because even though I enjoyed those aspects in the original JK, JO was a new game, and JA is a new game. It's a new game. It's an adventure. There are new things to learn, and a new dynamic to adapt to.

Nearly every difference between JA and JO seems to have triggered a group of people who believe JA to be an addon to pop up and demand that things be "changed back." Changed back to what exactly? This is the first released full build of this game.

The originality of the content of a game is irrelevant, sausage dog. FPS games have been derivative of quake for years. That doesn't make them Quake mods. JA is a new game, not a mod. A mod adds content to an existing engine. This is a new engine and new content. Learn the game.

Again Al do you own this game?

If you did you would know it is the exact same thing as JO, 80% at least is straight JO content.

I'm not talking generic same, like both games have sabers and strafe jumping, I'm talking identical dynamics, moves and results from said executed moves.

It is the same thing with some nerfing in the wrong places and new ineffective moves in situations where you are facing a living thinking human and not an NPC.

I'm talking about the flashy but worthless Katas ^ on that one.

And please just once and for all shut the hell up with comparisons between what went on in the 1.02/03 days with this.

They wanted everything that was owning them TAKEN OUT.

We want everything that made the game more complicated than mashing 1 button like an imbecile PUT IN.

Do you not see a difference?

Of course not.

So dissect my post bit by bit and put your foot in your mouth once again.

Incorrect actually. One thing I can do is sit here and tell you exactly what sort of damage premature patching can do.

You've owned the game for five days, you say? And you think that's long enough to evaluate the dynamic sufficiently to understand exactly where and what all relevant imbalances in the gameplay structure are? That's nonsense. It can take months to LEARN a game, never mind about evaluating its gameplay objectively.

Last year, JO came out, and shortly after its release a bunch of nutters came onto this very forum network demanding that Raven patch the game on their whims. The patch that was subsequently released ruined the game, because not only were the nutters who were asking for the patch highly immature and selfish, but they had not allowed enough time to truly understand the game and its gameplay. Three-six months is my estimate, and even that's generous.

I'm not saying release a patch in two hours, I'm just adding to the list of things that could go into the patch when it eventually is released, also I'm not 'demanding' anything, I'm simply saying "This is what I would like to see in the game, if you don't do it oh well". Oh, and I still don't see how you're stopping me from saying my opinion.

jesus christ al, go whack off or something. and take your newb posse with you.

do you have the game? NO

do you have a clue about what has been mentioned? NO

do you have a brain? jury is still out but i hear they are leaning to NO

do you have an enormous e-ego that tells you that you must belittle everything you disagree with, even though you are totally and infallibly ignorant? YES

my advice, shut the **** up and post where you have something at stake.

"OMG I SE SUMTIN I DUN LIEK I MUST PROOV TEH PERZON RONG CUS I AM HONOUR INCARNATE!!11 HOW CUD I B RONG ABOT NETING?!?!?1 DES LMERZ HAV NO GRMR AND SPEL SKILZ SO I MST PUT TEHM 2 SHME!!1"

Don't roll those eyes at me, sonny. JK1 was the best game of 1997/8, and there are many things that were good about JK1 that JO didn't have. I'm not running around demanding that instant force jump on a key tap be inserted, am I. I'm not demanding the return of a ranged power like Destruction, am I. I'm not demanding a faster paced game now, am I. Know why? Because even though I enjoyed those aspects in the original JK, JO was a new game, and JA is a new game. It's a new game. It's an adventure. There are new things to learn, and a new dynamic to adapt to.

Nearly every difference between JA and JO seems to have triggered a group of people who believe JA to be an addon to pop up and demand that things be "changed back." Changed back to what exactly? This is the first released full build of this game.

jk -> jk2 HUGE DIFFERENCE. some guns the same, some not. TOTALLY NEW SABER SYSTEM. force system changed. physics were changed too.

jk2 -> jk3 minimal difference. slightly enhanced graphical engine and 2 new guns, as well as 2 new sabers + their respective styles.

hmm new engine? no, seems to me that even the developers stated this. have you been living in a cave?

new content? yeah, new single player game and maps, plus two sabers and their styles. LOTS OF STUFF!!!11

thanks for sticking your own foot in your mouth, once again, sonny.

I use the sniper A LOT (scout in siege etc), so I think I know what i'm talking about:

I think primary fire is stronger, altough I think so when a jedi goes berserk on me 2/3 shots will do

I like walking around with the zoom, and with that advantage I don't find the stuck mode thing a disadvantage, I still like it

Originally posted by Rumor

jesus christ al, go whack off or something. and take your newb posse with you.

do you have the game? NO

do you have a clue about what has been mentioned? NO

do you have a brain? jury is still out but i hear they are leaning to NO

do you have an enormous e-ego that tells you that you must belittle everything you disagree with, even though you are totally and infallibly ignorant? YES

my advice, shut the **** up and post where you have something at stake.

"OMG I SE SUMTIN I DUN LIEK I MUST PROOV TEH PERZON RONG CUS I AM HONOUR INCARNATE!!11 HOW CUD I B RONG ABOT NETING?!?!?1 DES LMERZ HAV NO GRMR AND SPEL SKILZ SO I MST PUT TEHM 2 SHME!!1"

Aiight listen up ya'll. We dont need to get all violent here, do we? Anyways not at this level. I dont think it necessary for you to start flaming for being here speaking his mind. At least I dont start flaming you or anything. He might not have the game, yet, but that doesnt forbid him to speak his mind. However if he thinks hes got theory on this matter let him have, so instead of start flaming him and calling him a noob, just ignore his posts if you dont like him. I should report you to a moderator here, but I wont do because I'm a nice person. I've given you a second chance here, now dont waste it.

The same goes for the rest of you. If you see someone you dont like plz dont start flaming and bashing them and instead ignoring them.

The show must go on, and back to the topic. As for the Sniper prob here. I think they did what they did, because Raven thought that the non-snipers needed a fair chance with the snipers. I dont have anything agianst Snipers or anything like that, but I cant stand ppl who starts camping and stuff. Thats why they did what they did. I'm a decent Sniper and I dont mind what they did. If your really a great Sniper, you should be able to deal with this problem without any problems. Its a minor problem and its not a reason to start whining about it. You still have the right to say what you feel and think, but come on now. Its not that big of a problem if your really a good sniper :).

If you have anything to say to me about this PM me about it.

*Leaves thread*

-Clemme

JA = JO Mod. Nuff said.

Originally posted by InfErnO

JA = JO Mod. Nuff said.

JA IS a new game. Its not a patch, its not a mod, its not an adon, its a new game. How hard can that be to understand. I know that it doesnt live up to "new game" standards with eciting new game play, fancy graphics and stuff, but at least try to see that its a new game.

You're entitled to your own oppinion thats why I wont comment this anymore.

-Clemme

Again Al do you own this game?
I own a game called Jedi Academy. Not this mod you keep referring to, and entirely new game. :D

http://www.gameplay.com

Rumor, grow up. You sound like a young child.

Screed, my clan's been insulted by more articulate people than you. People that don't use acronyms every other word. The fact remains however that we're older and more experienced than all but two or three JK series clans out there. Even if you were ten times the wit that you are, nothing you could possibly say would affect any of us. :rolleyes:

(10x0=0) :p

I'm not saying release a patch in two hours, I'm just adding to the list of things that could go into the patch when it eventually is released, also I'm not 'demanding' anything, I'm simply saying "This is what I would like to see in the game, if you don't do it oh well". Oh, and I still don't see how you're stopping me from saying my opinion.
This entire thread is "THIS NEEDS TO BE PATCHED." The implied imperative is clear. And I'm saying, learn the game before you decide what needs to be "fixed." You don't buy a car and demand a better engine before you even drive it.

And why would I stop you "saying your opinion" when I can point out how silly it is?

might not have the game, yet, but that doesnt forbid him to speak his mind.
Thank you, in point of fact I've had the game for days. See the "return of kick" thread.

Archived