Home

What book are you currently reading?

Pie™

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfinished Tales by Tolkien. I only tend to read on train journeys though (which means long delays in the UK) so it is taking a long time. Very hard work, but interesting stuff in there.

Last great book i read was the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. Everyone should go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/bigread and vot for either this or LOTR as teh best book of all time. I can't decide which is the best, but i think i would vote for LOTR because I have loved it for longer.

Originally posted by toms

Unfinished Tales by Tolkien. I only tend to read on train journeys though (which means long delays in the UK) so it is taking a long time. Very hard work, but interesting stuff in there.

I've read that one! It was great, altough the silmarillion was better :D

I like the Silmarillion too; it was excellent. The book of lost tales and unfinished tales were both good. Those might be a bit hard to get through if you just finished LOTR though. Much different style of writing.

I like reading a lot, so here's some of my favorite authors:

Gregory Benford

Greg Bear

David Brin

Garth Nix

Terry Goodkind

Isaac Asimov

Frank Herbert

L. Ron Hubbard

David Weber

Timothy Zahn

Orson Scott Card

Keith Laumer

William H. Keith, Jr.

Anne McCaffrey

Ursula K. LeGuin

Stephen Baxter

Robin McKinley

Ben Bova

Arthur C. Clarke

Tom Clancy

Michael P. Kube-McDowell

Moby-Dick, in its original english so a bit heavy for my dumb danish arse, but it's quite good. Finally gotten around to reading some of the classics they keep referring to in movies :p . Anyway, that's my bedtime reading; for travel I'm currently reading The Redemption of Althalus. Need my fantasy fix mixed into the classic stuff.

Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!

I've heard about those books, heard they are good :D

Dude, go to Barnes & Noble right now, and by the set for like $24.95 , there are three different kinds:

paper back (has weird cover art)

#1 thumb13.jpg #2 thumb14.jpg #3 thumb15.jpg

hard cover with cool cover art (also in paper back)

#1 thumb7.jpg #2 thumb8.jpg #3 thumb9.jpg

and the adult looking one with astronomic cover art

# 1thumb16.jpg #2 thumb17.jpg #3 thumb18.jpg

The His Dark Materials Trilogy

The His Dark Materials trilogy is the masterpiece by Philip Pullman that is based upon the classic Paradise Lost, and told with a power and skill matched by few other writers. The trilogy has already won many awards, including the prestigious Whitbread Prize, the first ever "Children's" book to do so. But this is a work that is appealing and powerful no matter what age you are. This site is dedicated to His Dark Materials. http://www.bridgetothestars.net

The Golden Compass

is the first book in the His Dark Materials trilogy, and tells the story of Lyra Belacqua and her journey into the far north of a parallel universe on a quest to save her kidnapped friend.

The Subtle Knife

is the second book in the trilogy, and introduces Will Parry, a boy from our world who stumbles through a window into a different universe and finds himself on a quest to gain the subtle knife, a weapon so sharp that it can create windows between the worlds.

The Amber Spyglass

is the final book in the trilogy, and tells of the second great war in heaven, between the forces of The Authority and those of Lord Asriel, Lyra's father. Lyra and Will find themselves on a quest through the land of the dead, guided by a destiny that will bring them to finally discover themselves.

"LYRA'S OXFORD opens two years after THE AMBER SPYGLASS in the thrilling comfort and familiarity of Jordan College, where Lyra and Pantalaimon, now a pine marten with red-gold fur, sit on the sun-drenched roof looking out over all of Oxford. But their peace is shattered when a strange bird--a witch's daemon, on its own--tumbles out of the sky. It is Ragi, daemon of Yelena Pazhets, and he seeks a healing elixir from an infamous Oxford alchemist to cure his witch of a strange new disease. Lyra and Pan decide to help and guide him--witches are friends, of course--but the closer their winding walk leads them to the alchemist's house, the stronger Lyra senses that she's walking into a deadly trap."

(note) Lyras Oxford just came out little more than a week ago.

And very short 49 page read, but u can't read this first

TiE

Archived