Home

The Official RotS Spoiler Pictures Thread

Surfnshannon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ockniel

what, after they start the duel, they're trying to impress each other with saber moves?

I take it you've never seen classic kung-fu cinema or even the samurai serials.

It's about making the surreal, real.

Originally posted by Ockniel

I thought this was going to be a duel burning with rage through and through, am I wrong?

A real fight would last a matter of seconds to little over a minute. Asking for realism is stupid.

Plus it's about pride. Their overconfidence in their skill. Taunting your enemy by showing off, equaling their kata, it's all about creating panic in your enemy's mind.

Plus the momentum generated by the kata would create an incredibly powerful force. Similiar to that of using a ball-and-chain. The swing, while incredibly awesome looking, is also part of the attack. The momentum generated is double, triple, quadruple that of the initial force.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

A real fight would last a matter of seconds to little over a minute. Asking for realism is stupid.

If both opponents were highly skilled a real fight could last hours. In medieval times sword fights would last for hours and the victor would be the one who had the best indurence (which was even more impressive because of all the armor).

If you look at that image. They are both winding up (think of a baseball player with a bat) to get greater force behind their swing. It's way over exagerated (because its a movie) and it looks cool.

Originally posted by Hannibal

If both opponents were highly skilled a real fight could last hours. In medieval times sword fights would last for hours and the victor would be the one who had the best indurence (which was even more impressive because of all the armor).

Well considering (europe)medieval swords were large, clunky, and overall not sharp. That doesn't matter, I'm taking into consideration the japanese samurai fighting, as that's the closest to jedi. (they were the inspiration for jedi afterall). Most sword fights last a matter of seconds to a minute. It's all about pre-battle that determines who's the winner.

Originally posted by Hannibal

If you look at that image. They are both winding up (think of a baseball player with a bat) to get greater force behind their swing. It's way over exagerated (because its a movie) and it looks cool.

Already said that. :p

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Well considering (europe)medieval swords were large, clunky, and overall not sharp. That doesn't matter, I'm taking into consideration the japanese samurai fighting, as that's the closest to jedi. (they were the inspiration for jedi afterall). Most sword fights last a matter of seconds to a minute. It's all about pre-battle that determines who's the winner.

No matter what the weight of the swords the lenght of the battle would be determined by atmospheric conditions and the skill of the duelers. If you matched me up against a samurai I could see me lasting the few seconds it takes him to decide to swing his sword but to closely matched samurai, one-on-one, no outside influence...

There are some lengthy battles but most are/were over within a matter of seconds to minutes. Either way, a realistic fight in Star Wars (or any movie for that matter) would not be as entertaining. Real fights are only exciting because you're in the moment, watching a real fight on camera though, it's boring.

Archived