Home

Ninja Gaiden, a Darth Homer Review

Darth Homer

I got the game yesterday, but had to work until 11:30, so I did not get a chance to play it until midnight yesterday. Well, I expected an awesome adventure and boy was I happy with what I got.

When I went to bed at 7am, I was exhausted. The bosses you face are tough, the levels are very well laid out, the combo system is intuitive, and the graphics are :eek::D:eek:

I have not finished the game yet, just got through about the first 6 chapters, but so far I give Ninja Gaiden a 10 out of 10.

I will likely amend this rating as I get deeper into the game.

Ahhh, yes! One of the best games i've ever played. Also one of the most challenging games i've ever played.....Those bosses are TOUGH, and i'm used to plowing through these games....Even though i die every 10 secs, i still have fun figuring out all the ninja-moves i can do and getting them down to an art.

Highly Recommended!

The bosses are indeed very tough. You have to learn how they attack and find patterns or recognizable movements before attacks so that you can properly dodge them. There is no head-to-head slugfest with any boss, you do that, you die, even on the very first one.

The only thing that is really annoying me about this game is the camera, sometimes it is hard to tell where ledges are and when you should jump, so it takes a bit of practice and timing to get to certain areas.

I was talking to another guy about the game & he stated that he thought Ryu was more of a frustrated gymnast than a Ninja. For an example he gave this scenario (spoilered because it tells you what to do in a certain area, but does not give away any plot points)

You go into a warehouse and to get what you need you have to:

run up the stairs

jump onto a moving platform

jump to a static platform

jump to another static platform

jump to a second moving platform

then jump to the other side

run up a few more stairs

then enter the control room.

Any normal ninja would have used the lattice of metal beams to simply climb up to where (s)he needed to go.

I have to admit he was right about that. I noticed that in the same warehouse any workers would have to follow the same jumping path as the control room had no stairs, ladders, ropes, etc. decending to the factory floor.

also, FYI, walls are your friend

Originally posted by The Silent One

You mean to say this game has a bit of tacticalness to it aswell?

A little, jumping & running on the walls allow you to get to higher places as well as create more powerful attacks. You'll need to master it to get through certain places.

So how's the story on the game aswell?

Story's pretty good. It isn't the greatest, but it is more than just a way to keep you moving from zone to zone.

Is this the kind of game to keep you coming back for more even after you beat it?

I don't know, I havn't beaten it yet :D

It can be really annoying, but it is beatable...you just have to play the game the right way. The Bosses are all very hard, but it just adds to your sense of accompishment when you finally take them down. It may be too tough for casual gamers. You really have to devote time & effort into mastering it.

I don't own an XBO, and I've barely played, but inbetween this game and the stirrings of Halo 2 I am terribly tempted to buy an XBOX just for these alone. Ninja Gaiden is a very ninja game, and it is very good at being a very ninja game. Very much awesomeness to be had, especially when you turn yourself into a whirling biscotti-chopper of death with that vigoorian flail. *insert malicious smile here*

:D

I think I also heard somewhere that if you build up the wooden sword to it's max level, it becomes an awesome one-hit instakill weapon.

Any one else figure out how to get that giant boomerang shuriken? I was stuck, and my friend told me how, but it was like ahhhhhh!!!!

Well, I beat the game last night, it was tough, but I did it. The first time I faced the end bosses (yes, there are more than one & no, I will not tell you more than that) I died rather quickly. So, I went back down to the nearest place I could buy upgrades, etc. I stockpiled health potions & magic rejuvinations & a few talismans of rebirth for good measure. I needed pretty much all of it.

And to address The Silent One's question from earlier, it is the kind of game that you beat & you are so stunned that you are done with it that you sit in awe through the credits & then turn it off & go to bed. I did unlock a new costume & played the first level with it (it's kinda cool, but could have been better). Other than that, I have not played it any more. I will probably pick it back up at some point, but not soon.

Archived