Home

Jedi Academy or Knights of the Old Republic?

KarlMarx

Originally posted by txa1265

Actually, there I have a subtle distinction - what makes KotOR so good is that it has analogues throughout the OT, but without 'knock-off' direct counterparts. The characters are familiar, yet different and alive of their own.

I wasn't thinking of the main characters, in particular. You are right that they are distinct and not carbon copies. I was thinking more of the general environment...

Ebon Hawk = Millenium Falcon

Lord Malak = Darth Vader

Leviathan = Star Destroyer

Swoop = Pod Racer

Sith Trooper = Stormtrooper

KOTOR weapons = OT weapons (more or less)

Republic Trooper = Rebel Trooper

Sith = Empire

and so on. They have done a great job making things original, but still very familiar.

Originally posted by ksk h2o

well KOTOR, like others have pointed it out, is an RPG

JA is an acion game based on an FPS engine.

apples and oranges

real time melee/shooting action ad multiplayer

and

piont and click action

And both are kick ass in their own way :)

Originally posted by Prime

And both are kick ass in their own way :)

Oh yea... I liked kotor. I especially liked the character design and the way they re created a long gone epoch. I like RPG's in their own right... but I wanted to point out that they are VERY different games. I mean when I'm in the mood for action, if I run KOTOR it wont cut it. If I'm in the mood to get into the atmosphere and play through an immersive tale, I would play KOTOR.

An exagerated comparison would be the dynasty warrios series on the PS2 and the romnce of the three kingdoms/kessen series. One is a beat-em all type action game, the other is a strategy game, both treat the same subject of medieval china during the three kindgom epoch with the same characters. =)

O.K. Both games are excellent. Here are their good points:

Knights of the Old Republic:

1. It is the best RPG that I have ever, heard of, played, or seen.

2. It has 112 awards, 35 of them are Game of the Year awards.

3. It is like an epic story, it makes you think, you get a lot of action, the music is awesome, the gameplay rules all, the graphics are the best for the next ten years because RPG's have been known to have better graphics, and FPS graphics systems are a bit different.

Jedi Academy:

1. Single Player is good, although a bit too short.

2. The mods rock for it, DO NOT GET IT FOR XBOX.. XBOX JA sucks, no mods, maps, downloads, etc.

3. Flying is fun (with mods of course)!!

There are the good points for these games. I hope that I have influenced your opinion and helped you decide. My opinion is that you get KotOR first, because it is grand and you can play on light side and dark side.

C'ya!!

:fett:

Originally posted by Master William

I in fact cannot play JA anymore after playing KOTOR and SWG,

That doesn't make any sense ... especially when you refer to the SP as being OK ... shouldn't it be the SP that would suffer in your opinion based on comparison to KotOR due to the plot, etc?

Playing Fallout 2 doesn't obviate Deus Ex, nor does BG2 or NWN obviate Diablo or Dungeon Siege. They have similar themes but different genres. You can prefer one over the other, sure, but they needn't be mutually exclusive.

Oh well, to each their own. I love each in their own way.

One more thing - since when were we only allowed to like one? Personally, I like the feeling of having a difficult choice when I finish a game deciding what to do next. Difficult because of so many choices, that is ...

Mike

rpg (you don't flight yourself, you click on 'do that move')

That sort of puts KOTOR on the bottom of my list (and the fact that i need a new vid card...)

but still, JA is good, SP is fun, but short. MP would be fun, if i didnt get banned so much.

Tonight, I joined a server, and heres what happend:

I join.

I turn my saber on.

I run around the tatooine map looking for players.

I see a crowd of players, close together.

I jump in the middle of the crowd.

I do a kata - 1 Kill

I swing my saber 2 more times - 1 kill.

Someone says "Nice laming skywalker"

Menu screen comes up "Server Disconnected: was kicked"

In total, about 30 seconds of gameplayer. Maybe 7 seconds without the walking. So... umm... yeah, JKA would be great, if the community wasnt crap. :( I know of 5 servers I can play on without getting kicked:

Kurgans

Chop Shop

2nd Chop Shop

Some laming server

Hunting Wabbits.

Other than that...... well.. ill probably get banned.

Another good point about JA is, you can DL all the maps I make for it :D - J/K...

but really... check out any lukeskywalker1 maps...

If you want story, a true character development system, and something that falls outside the Republic/Imperial bit, KotOR is for you.

On the other hand, if being able to shoot people and handle lightsabers with your own controls is your thing, then you would want JKII.

But at the same time, you have to remember that both games have their limitations on depth. Even though mods such as xmod reintroduced certain gameplay elements, it's still not as strategically in-depth as it can be if Raven had worked harder at it (JA reference).

Originally posted by txa1265

That doesn't make any sense ... especially when you refer to the SP as being OK ... shouldn't it be the SP that would suffer in your opinion based on comparison to KotOR due to the plot, etc?

Playing Fallout 2 doesn't obviate Deus Ex, nor does BG2 or NWN obviate Diablo or Dungeon Siege. They have similar themes but different genres. You can prefer one over the other, sure, but they needn't be mutually exclusive.

Oh well, to each their own. I love each in their own way.

One more thing - since when were we only allowed to like one? Personally, I like the feeling of having a difficult choice when I finish a game deciding what to do next. Difficult because of so many choices, that is ...

Mike

I just like the SP because it is smoother and has a bit more features, it feels different from the MP. In SP there are no whiners or cocky people, just you and lots of NPCs to spawn and kill.

Originally posted by Prime

There are no whiners, but there are plaenty of cocky people in SP. Those Reborn keep talking trash to me!

The funniest thing is when they are in the middle of saying something like 'you will die' and you kill them ...

:D

Mike

I only rented KOTOR and it is a good rpg but if u don't like rpgs it does get boring in about 5 days,

i got ja on xmas and still play it. mp is good even on xbox, but i did find sp a little short but it does has replay value for both sp and mp. if u like rpgs and only have the money for one of them get KOTOR, But if u like fps more get ja, But get them both if u have the money

Archived