Home

Should there be Naval Units in SWGB2?

Darth Windu

Should there be Naval Units in SWGB2?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be Naval Units in SWGB2?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

The title says it all. Basically, the situation is that we have seen no military naval units, and about 3 civilian water units in the 5 films so far.

Naval combat also seems to be a waste of time for the Republic, Empire, Confederacy and Rebellion due to the fact that their assaults need to be flexible and everything essential is on the ground - so why have a Navy?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't decide. From a Star Wars point of view, naval combat makes no sense at all (unless SWGB2 includes the aquatic cat people from ROTJ comic ;) ) but from an RTS point of view navies add an extra dimension and the game would be less interesting without them. But what if Ziff Kalasco has a boat? That could really tip the balance...

Naval Combat is a part of war, but now i'm not so sure if i really want it in SWGB II. Unless they change the system a bit, i guess it really isn't worth it, even if there are naval battles in Ep. III. Most civs suck in combat and its just a waste of resources to build a shipyard unless you need a water transport. For now, i guess i vote no, but i hope they at least change the system of the naval combat (such as making more civs havin stronger ships)

Ships can be a lot of use as well. If you control the seas, It will definately make it easier for you to get to them, and harder for them to get to you. Course, if you have a civ that has weak ships, it will be a tad harder. But if you think that ships are waste of time, its your funeral. 'Nuf said.

I hate purists......

Anyway, extend the movies a little!!! Besides, if water seperates two enemies, and air isn't the way due to a lot of AA turrets, water is the only way to go.

This is a STRATEGY game. NAVAL COMBAT is part of strategy. Everything that is in war is part of STRATEGY. Get used to it!!!

Mastern your baseing your thoughts on SWGB, we want a new engine or a nice superior current engine. With the way Lucasarts is booming with there games and bringing out 1st ever additons with the new MMORPS Battlefront. It is only getting better.

@ mastern64 :

If we were all real purists, we wouldn't be here. We would be in front a a huge flat screen TV looking at the classic movies.

But naval combat just doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, it's a strat game, but it's also a SW game. If we include naval stuff, we take the game away from the SW universe.

luke - in the C&C series, there's only one resource and it's not a click-fest. Plus, you have to remember that you can only harvest resources within your borders, and at a rate defined by your amount of Economic Research (ie if you dont invest in Economic Research, you wont gather resources very fast). In addition, all resources are finite (Nova - which is delivered as Credits, and Metal) so in the end game players will need to have constructed and defended a few Spaceports to keep their economy going.

Jabba - actually we dont want Space battles in this game

FroZ - there will be Metal and Nova deposits, the Nova delivered as Credits. When you contruct a unit, it will require a certain amount of Credits and/or Metal. With Infantry, you do realise that the Credit cost translates into the purchasing of equipment and food for them right?

Also, no, i dont have tech levels because they are an abomination, slowing down gameplay and hurting realism.

Archived