Home

Should there be Naval Units in SWGB2?

Darth Windu

Should there be Naval Units in SWGB2?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be Naval Units in SWGB2?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Must there be an insult in every post you make Froz?

My point was that many resources don't make a better game, but they don't make a worse game either.

The reason I like the single resource for my latest SWGB2 design is because it seems more Star Warsy. But I am open to suggestion. Let's review possible resources:

FOOD: I think this should really be the first to go. Food is represented by population - population represents both a place for the trooper to sleep and the rations they get each day.

CARBON: This works okay I think, though it is a bit of a stretch.

NOVA: Nova in it's existing form sucks. It is really too un-Star-Warsy.

ORE: The look of it (purple) sucks, but if it was a resource like Metal I think it could work.

GAS: One of the few resources we know they do mine in the Star Wars Galaxy. But how would it work? Would you have to build airborne facilities or just facilities that suck it down or have airborne workers...?

SPICE: Another resource we know they mine in the Star Wars Galaxy. If they mine it on the moons of Naboo, I don't really think it is too contraband, and perhaps suggestions in EU of it as such are incorrect, as much EU is. But the fact is Spice isn't found everywhere.

PLASMA: The Naboo plasma is a minable resource, but it is pssibly unique to Naboo, which means we can't stick it on every planet.

CREDITS: A while ago in a thread similar to this we determined Credits to be a better resource than Nova. In my original design I called it Wealth. Basically to recap what would happen is there might be a Wealth Resource, which would appear different on every map like Carbon does at the moment. So when on Naboo it might appear as Plasma, when on Kessel it might be Spice and when on Tattooine it could even be Water. Mining this resource instantly gives you Wealth/Credits. I like this one a lot.

So I think for a multiple resource model the best candidates for true Star Warsy-ness are Credits, Metal and Gas.

Maybe I'll change my single resource system into this...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also bored of AoM, but not because of its multi-ressources system. Well kinda...

It depends on whether we want tthe game to have a very fast pace, fast pace, medium pace, slow pace or turn-based.

Single ressources work easily in very fast paced games(name any C&C game), two ressources work well in fast paced games, 3-4 work well in medium paced games and more work for the slower paced games.

AoM faced the problem of trying to be a very fast paced game while having many ressources. Bad idea and problem.

Windu: Yes Windu. You who use so many real-life examples must surely know that a country with a good economy can get more supplies to their soldiers. Guess how did the Americans beat the Germans in WWII. They didn't have better weapons or better soldiers. They had endless amounts of supplies for them and their allies.

Thus, economy is a VERY important part of war.

[Propaganda]

What? Some people are bored with AoM and Generals? Then come and join us in WC3! We've got anything you like, including skirmish, scenarios and automated tourneys!

[/Propaganda]

I have to agree with Vostok on this one. The only resources should be credit, metal and gas. Personally, since I like 2 resources, I'd say keep the credit as the general resource, and add the metal for more advanced stuff. Of course I'd keep the food/housing system of Bliz./AoE.

Windu - I seem to remember I was the first one to suggest Gas as a resource. If you dig up the old thread on which this was first discussed you'll see that to be the case.

Darth - I thought about just the two resources, but the way my Credit resource works would make it a bit strange: every resource gives you Credits except for Metal, which for some reason you process yourself while all other resources just give you money. However if you have two resources in addition to Credits it seems a bit better. At least that's my feeling, which probably makes no sense to everyone else...

OK, I'l step down from the huge multi-ressource throne I was sitting on.

I see that two ressources aren't my big fun, being a Civ3 fan, but I think that I can like a two ressources game. 3 like Vostok said makes more even more sense then only two. Credits, Gas and Metal should be ok + population.

Food could be removed and included in population.

Credits and Metal only can also work.

FroZ - why?

Carbon - unrealistic and unwanted

Ore - what exactly is Star Wars Ore?

Metal - obvious and realistic

Credits - currency of the Republic

So of the four you listed, only two make sence, which happen to be the two that my template uses :)

Everyone - with Gas, the last time i suggested we should have Tibanna Gas as a resource, i was shot down. The concept was to build the collectors we see in Ep5 at the Command Center, which automatically find and mine gas deposits in the air. As no-one liked that, exactly how would we use it?

Luke - glad you agree that more resources don't make fun or strategy. Look at RoN: Food, Metal, Wood, Oil, and about twenty unique resources. Fun? Not particularly. Strategic? Not in the slightest. There are many elements that make a game fun or strategic, and having several resources isn't necessarily one of these elements.

Froz - please explain the difference between Ore and Metal.

And it's not called manipulation, it's called changing your mind. You know, something you criticised Windu for never doing? You should try it yourself sometime.

Windu - yes, now I remember. I didn't like your model because no resources should be found automatically, that's just too easy. Pump out the collectors and don't think about Gas for the rest of the game... even single resource games have more econ micromanagement than that...

I have just fully integrated Gas into my design, and as you will see it is a resource quite unlike any resource in existing RTS games so far. I think people will like it.

Ore- in SW is used on nearly all structures to keep them solid.

Metal- Is a weaker form than ore and used on heavy weapons,droids and mechs.

Carbon- used on troop armor, weapons, droids, light mechs and some structures.

Darth- I wasn't even referring to you...

FroZ -

but what sort of Ore? I mean, in the real world, you get Uranium Ore, Iron Ore, Alumina Ore etc. What im asking is, what is this thing we are digging up? Incidently, i dont think i've come accross a single reference to it in EU

with Carbon, that really doesnt make sense either. Why cut down trees to make armour? I mean really, this is set in the future, and we have better methods now, besides this can be covered by Credits

Well metal can be covered by credits as well but you still have them. I'm not having it taken from trees it is coming from rock deposits. Even if I wanted wood in my template I could it is made into structures also.

Corintium Intrusive Ore

Vintrium Extrusive Ore

Robindun Siliclastic Ore

Keschel Extrusive Ore

Unknown Sedimentary Ore

Malab Siliclastic Ore

Frasium Carbonate Ore

Chromite Carbonate Ore

Ostrine Carbonate Ore

Ilimium Extrusive Ore

Crism Siliclastic Ore

So all that I broke down into plain ORE!!!!!

No naval units in a Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds 2 or next Star Wars Strategy Game. Just make the aircraft more powerful vs. ground units. Make certain ground units able to move through shallow waters. The troops will have to garrison inside large mechs or aircraft like AT-ST or AT-AT or Imperial Lander, etc.

Originally posted by Darth54

@ mastern64 :

Yes, it's a strat game, but it's also a SW game. If we include naval stuff, we take the game away from the SW universe.

No no no. Taking away stuff from the SW universe would be taking away jedi or clone troopers. Naval combat adds to the SW universe.

Archived