Home

Split personalities

Joshi

Okay, so I think I have a split personality.

Now it's not that uncommon (i hope) and as long as I keep it under control, I doubt it'll come out and kill anyone (it's amazingly not that different from me so you can never tell when the other one comes out anyway)

Okay, so let me start from the beginning.

This is me, I'm a shy careful kind of guy, not that good at sport, a complete social reject, uniqu to the core. My biggest problem is talking, if I let myself be, I can be a real quick thinker and can talk for hours on end about a subject. I can joke, insult people and riff with people. If I let myself. The problem is, I don't so much. My mind always thinks about what I'm about to say before I say it causing me to think about what the outcome will be if I were to say anything. And usually by then, the conversation's moved on and it's too late to say it meaning I'm generally a quiet person. If I don't think about what I'm saying, then I'll mostly come out with great stuff, at least up until the point when I say something wrong and people either give me a hard time about it or look at me wierd and I keep quiet for the rest of the convo or at least until I can find a way to redeem myself with a witty remark (with the hope that i don't say it too fast, when I do people don't catch me and I have to repeat myself making the remark less witty).

Anyway, then the're the other me. Let's call him Shneil because he's a legend, he's everything I want to be and always hads a great time. Think of that movie The Mask, I'm like him, only better, I get on great with people and people listen to what I say and so on and so fourth. Now of course, I would like to be this other guy all the time right, and I try to be, but of course life isn't perfect.

Anyway, enough about my problems, I live, I can cope. The reason I think I've got a split personality (because up until now I've just described everyone else, the person who can act differently at times) is because I sometimes find myself talking to him.

Now before jumping to conclusions here, first, it's not out loud, or not as such anyway. I'll talk to myself out loud, sure, it's usually along with the TV or when I'm alone and thinking aloud. But this is inside my head. Now we all do this of course, follow a train of thought around in our heads until we come up with an answer to a question that you may have asked yourself (and this may be as simple as 'what will I have for breakfast'). And as we as humans have developed language, we usually think of these things in words rather than pictures or sounds, it's in our nature. And these words are spoken to us, with a voice in our head, our voice. You get the idea.

Well, anyway, I do actually find myself having conversations with myself in my head. And the scary thing is, the guy I'm having a conversation with, whilst still being me, is actually more rational than me. I'll think about relationships and school and so on and whilst I will want something or desire or whatever, there will be this rational voice telling me what should be done and so on. And even then, I'll argue with it. I've seen way too many TV shows where there are actually two people, one rational and one irrational, bickering with each other, well that's me and me, I'm arguing with myself and these are actual words, not just internal dilema's. It's wierd (by the way, anyone with a psychology degree or even a small qualification in this feel free to come in and tell me this is normal)

So anyway, I've rambled on for long enough. anyone else out there with a split personality (if not we can just talk about mine if you want)

peace

Neil

;)

uh...yeah! there are three:

#1 is insane and tries to convince #2, #3 of his weird plans all the time

#2 is the arrogant, loud, extreme self-confident and self-convinced one, who tries to ignore all other - possibly better - opinions from other people even when his arguments are based on plans made by #1

#3 is the indecisive, quiet, intelligent one, who tries to cut down the activities of #1 and #2

uh...great... ;)

You can have one of mine if you want (I actually have three, but I don't talk about the other one (or at least if I did, I'd have to kill you))

Weirdly enough, after writing that looo(ooo)ng thread starter, i'd already answered the main question I had about my split personality which is why I didn't ask it (it pays so much to write down your problems, really). The whole idea came along when I was walking down the street one day and thinking (not talking) to myself. It's my sisters birthday soon and I was walking down the street thinking of what to buy her (no suggestions please, I just bought her something) and spotted an aptly named shop called Birthdays. It had been around for a while and these were the thought tat ran through my head when seeing this.

"Meh, after a while, people just grow out of that kind of shop" starts to walk away from shop

"Yeah, but you do need to buy a birthday card"

"I do need to buy a birthday card" walks into shop

Now if you hadn't noticed, there were actually two people talking there, both me. It was weird, it was like I was in my own TV show talking to someone else.

That's all that brought that on. Funny really.

I'm gonna open a personality shop here but all you want.

1. Depresses and paranoid $1000

2. Horny $2000

3. Wise and caring $4

4. Symbiotic $500 (1/2 off... get it?)

5. Dork $600

6. Utter failure and waste of time $. 30 (or best offer)

i think it's normal to "think" things to oneself and thus may happen in a way the human brain is used to: conversation. this usually happens between two or more persons. it's the only way our brain can handle the process of finding answers to questions, solutions, develop an opinion or simply going with or against our inner instincts/ emotions/ feelings.

(err.. good speech, ray.)

(yeah. I know that, but maybe i am the only one who knows what he was talking about.)

(aaww.. c'mon. neil surely got your point.)

(and the others?)

(oh, shut up, ray. those who got it, got it and the others will ask or simply ignore you!)

(yes, but i would like if they ask me instead of ignoring me.)

(you are screwed, mister.)

(i am.)

(you are.)

(but i dont care. i ignore it. i must. because i cannot ask something.)

I know a little bit about psychology, my grandfather was a psychoanalyst and it's in my bloodstream to analyze things simlarly. But I'm going to tell you what I know about Multiple Personality Syndrome(a.k.a. "Disassociative Identity Disorder")

First of all, you guys are talking about two sides to one person. I talk to myself (sometimes I "rehearse" what I'm going to say to somebody else) but having a completely different personality is actually a sort of psychological protection.

Usually, one creates another identity to "deal" with some traumatic event. For example, if somebody is being raped, they might not be able to handle that, so they create somebody else who is able to handle that. There are two books by a psychiatrist named Gene Brewer called "K-PAX" and "On a Beam of Light" and they are both about his patient Robert Porter who believed he was an alien. There was a movie based on K-PAX, but I suggest you read the books. They are both extremely informative about Multiple Personality Disorder.

Anyway, everybody has two sides of themselves I believe. I know the one I usually show to people is an opionated, obnoxious asshole while the other one is a little bit more of a self-aware overanalyzer.

Originally posted by JofaGuht

I know a little bit about psychology, my grandfather was a psychoanalyst and it's in my bloodstream to analyze things simlarly. But I'm going to tell you what I know about Multiple Personality Syndrome(a.k.a. "Disassociative Identity Disorder")

First of all, you guys are talking about two sides to one person. I talk to myself (sometimes I "rehearse" what I'm going to say to somebody else) but having a completely different personality is actually a sort of psychological protection.

Usually, one creates another identity to "deal" with some traumatic event. For example, if somebody is being raped, they might not be able to handle that, so they create somebody else who is able to handle that. There are two books by a psychiatrist named Gene Brewer called "K-PAX" and "On a Beam of Light" and they are both about his patient Robert Porter who believed he was an alien. There was a movie based on K-PAX, but I suggest you read the books. They are both extremely informative about Multiple Personality Disorder.

Anyway, everybody has two sides of themselves I believe. I know the one I usually show to people is an opionated, obnoxious asshole while the other one is a little bit more of a self-aware overanalyzer.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

A serious answer to your topic:

What you're experiencing is not a split personality. A split personality is normally caused from an emotional trauma where the mind actually fractures into different pieces (this will occur more often with very young children). These fractures form into their own personalities that every other personality is unaware of. For instance, you may have a personality that's named Joanna. She's been working at King Kullen for decades, her favorite color is blue, she's Republican, shy, and her handwriting is all pretty curves. Another personality may be Joe, who's just found a new job at a law firm, his favorite color is red, he's Democratic, outgoing, and his handwriting is small and in all capitals. These two personalities--completely part of your own mind--would be totally and utterly unaware of each other.

Now, what you're going through is merely your duality of opinion and thought that all people (and minds) have. Nope, no other personality. You may think one way about something, internally discussing it with yourself (not aloud), and find yourself talking to someone arguing an opposite viewpoint. That's not another personality that's arguing, that's...you. Now, I know that doesn't sound much different; but the person that you talk to and argue with inside your head is no different in anyway shape or form from your every day self. It's the same as wondering to yourself, "Should I get a burger or a hot dog? I like burgers better, but then again, I had one last night, so I should go for the hot dog. Nah, but I really want a burger. Ah, damnit, I can't decide!"

Everyone has seperate opinions within themselves about tons of issues. A lot of them can be surpressed (though some can't), and whether they are or aren't surpressed is of no consequence or significance. You are merely just pondering two opposite opinions of one particular subject or another, to find the most desired outcome. Scientifically speaking? You're just talking to yourself.

Not to belittle you, however. I do this often as well-- and very frequently call upon my dog for further assistance in decision making. As for your unintentional shyness; snuff the distant, echoing voice in the back of your conscious that's telling you to pick and pry at your desired comment to input in a conversation, and just say what you initially wish to (wow long sentence). Sure, sometimes it may come out wrong, but from the sound of it, more often than not you'll come off witty and charming. Rather 10% asshole and 90% witty/charming, than 90% unkown and 10% witty.

I actually think that's an old saying in Belgium.

=)

---- Guybrush122

^He got it, someone give that man Kewpie doll.

Thanks a lot, you've put things into a slightly wider perspective for me (one side of me probably already kneww all that but I just couldn't see it).

And also, thanks for the advice on my shyness and all that. Obviously on these boards I have more time to think about what I'm going to say so in it comes out better (and you can read at your own pace so you won't miss anything).

And I'm actually gonna do something that people rarely do, ever, adn that's take that advice and utelise it. I'll forget about thinking about what I'm gonna say, and just bloody well say it.

You know what, on these boards, I ususally find myself typing my thoughts endlessly without thinking as to whether I shoul eb say all of this (which is why I rambe sometimes and make pointless threads like this one) so sometimes it is good as rather than thinking about what I'm typing, I'm just typing.

Meh, anyway, thanks.

I think that went well

Yeah I suppose

What's that emant to mean?

Well, you could have at least introduced Josh

Shh! they're not meant to know about him

you take that guy WAY too seriously dude

shut up!

Anytime, Joshi, glad to see you're taking me up on my advice.

Should I type more?

No no, this amount is just fine. Simple. Short.

Ah, I dunno, I feel that I should type a little more... you know?

Horse pucky! Just leave it the way it is!

I know! I'll just add an internal monologue to the post like Joshi did...that works out, right?

No no no no no! That's where I draw the line!

You're drawing a line in an internal monologue?

As a manner of speaking...

That's it, Maurice, back in your box!

But it's cold down there and I never get any sleep!

Do as I say and you might just get a doggie treat.

Ohh! With lime sauce?

Well we'll see.

Yay!!

I think he overdid it a bit.

Just a tad.

Yeah.

But still, this is coming from a guy who's replied to this guy and then replied to his reply in the space of a day.

You're not going down the 'pathetically sad life' lane again are you?

Well, look at you, you're pretty much talking to yourself, but to make it that much better, you're typing it out on a public internet forum for all to see because you think it might be clever.

What exactly are you saying?

You need to get a life. For gods sake, how many times have you been to the cinema alone this year?

I don't count, I'm not that sad.

But sad enough to have gone so many times that you can't think of a number?

Man, just shut up, I'm sick of your psychoalalysis lifestlye.

Do you even know who's talking now?

Do you?

Ahh, touche.

You forgot the accent.

You really think I can be bothered to work out the shortcut key for that or even copy and paste it from word?

Nope, and that's precisely your problem

No, you're my problem

Who am I?

I like cheese

Wow!

I think I've started a whole new generation of internal monologue internet threads...

...I really need to get a life

That's what I've been trying to-

Shut up!

Originally posted by Joshi

^He got it, someone give that man Kewpie doll![/i]

I said practically the same thing! He just said more articulately! I deserve the Kewpie doll, whatever that is!

Actually external dialogue is somewhat internal dialogue. There's only one person interpreting it. And they create the meaning of what someone else says for themselves. Language is abstract so nobody can really "understand" each other. Man I need some ibuprofen.

Don't take ibuprofen, you'll develop an immunity to it and it won't work anymore.

Then what's the point?

You're the Mr. Language is so Abstract and People Can't Understand and the Anguish of Being is the Though of Nothingness but doesn't Make Sense because Nothingness is Abstract too person. See, now I'm getting a headache!

You're such a bastard, Ezekiel. You're so self-important and you always have to be right.

Me? You're the Mr. Opeth is the Modern Led Zeppelin person!

Why do you always have to refer to me as "Mr." something?

Oh I'm sorry Mrs. Stop Referring to me as "Mr." Something person.

Do you see what I have to put upo with?

The reason you have multiple personalities is because you all talk to pixels on a bunch of plasma fulled glas pieces on a wall type thingy. And because they answer back isn't helping.

I'm no better, but also, if you have a shy personality, you could make up for not talking to a lot of people by talking to yourself. :p I dunno.

i often mumble to myself, just so people don't try to engage me in polite conversation when I’m waiting in a line or something.

of course talking to yourself is only the first sign of madness

second is having hairy palms

and third is looking!

hehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehee

shut up!

righto!

Archived