Home

Getting More Trojans in Your Pop Up Ads... not happy.

Mozilla or Firefox?

Two different browsers, and I have no idea why it'd be so slow...it's faster than IE on my computer.

Originally posted by pbguy1211

When trying to make an arguement, saying an ad company "seems to do the best deal " isn't making a good point since you don't actually know that they do.

Furthermore, saying that you can't get in touch with them because they are "probably hard to get in touch with at the mo because they're probably trying to deal with it" doesn't mean much since you don't actually know that that's why you can't get in touch with them. The might actually be ignoring you. Because... "despite what you think, this isn't a nice world."

You don't know what I think. So don't assume that you do. Because you know what happens when you make an assumption. You make an ass out of you, and umption.

Okay, first of all, do you know the facts? Do you know everything about me. I'm assuming nothing about you. What I know about you is that you are using IE and getting a problem and I am not using IE and I am not getting a problem. Also please note use of the word "probably" meaning I'm not stating it as fact, but instead as a possibility, and yes, them ignoring us is also a possibility, but it seems less likely because UGO is a very big site and if they did willfully expose people to viruses, they would get shut down, so I doubt they are doing this on purpose. I didn't assume that you thought this was a nice world, it's called a figure of speech, look it up, and that last litle "joke" of yours (ass and upmtion) was extremely weak.

At the end of this, I'm basically trying to put across two points.

1)This isn't LF's fault, and probably isn't UGO's fault.

2)IE is crap, I suggest you get a better browser. I'm not saying you have to get it to stop problems with LF, I'm just suggesting you get it because basically, it's better and I think you'll actually enjoy the internet a lot more with it.

And now I stop this argument before it gets out of hand and say do whatever you want, stay with IE or move onto a better browser (doesn't have to be Firefox, could be anything), but stop complaining because there really isn't anything complaining is going to do to get the problem sorted.

And Z-Bomber, Firefox works fine on my computer and loads a lot faster than IE (mostly because it doesn't load all of the popups) so it may just be a problem with Mozilla. Go to their website and download Firefox (version 8 I think), that should do it. You can also get skins for it if you want.

i'm using the XP service pack 2 RC1 beta (the company i work for subscribes to technet and we get all the betas) and let me tell you that pop-ups are a thing of the past. they've implemented a lot more security into IE that will hopefully make surfing the net alot more safer (for now anyway). its stops pop-ups all together and also nothing will be downloaded onto your machine without your say so.

i'm not sure how long it will be before XP SP2 is released but i haven't come across any bugs yet so it can't be too much longer.

a: the images didn't load due to them simply not loading at the time. it wasn't a browser issue because they work fine now.

[edit] so i just actually looked at them, and matt, f**k you and your hubris for copping that attitude by attempting to belittle me like that. grow up.

b: joshi, my point is that when you're making an arguement, saying "i guess" and that someone is "probably" doing something simply aren't good arguements since they aren't factual.

c: the assumption joke was just that. a joke. it was a sam jackson line from the long kiss goodnight.

Okay first of all, not being in possession of all of the facts, I have to go with what i think is most likely as an argument. Yes, it's not the best argument in the world, but it still stands. At least I'm not saying that it is all fact, unlike you saying that the Admin are doing nothing when you don't actually know that or saying that LF is providing you with these viruses when they may only be an innocent conduit for them.

Second of all, it may have been a funny joke when Samuel L. Jackson said it. That's all.

Third of all, you just told Matt Windu to f*** himself. You just told an LF admin to f*** himself. I don't care who you are, Matt was within all of his right to do what he did and you had no right, nor have any right to insult or use profanity at any time, especially with someone who may take it personally and decide to take action. The use of profanity simply means that you can't articulate your words as well as those who don't use profanity and the use of cheap insults just means that you can't come up with a better argument.

I really would like to put a stop to this argument as i have tried to do before, but you simply keep bringing it up. Just quit it, it's not making anything better.

Originally posted by pbguy1211

b: joshi, my point is that when you're making an arguement, saying "i guess" and that someone is "probably" doing something simply aren't good arguements since they aren't factual.

Joshi said it best when he commented that you were making assumptions as well as he.

If I am mistaken in how I viewed your problem solving process, then set me straight, preferably with acceptable language.

Have you recently viewed other Ugo sites in the same scale that you view LF at? Have you received any viral popups?

Have you eliminated the possibility of spyware on your own system?

Have you tried to explore any alternative?

Originally posted by matt-windu

Joshi said it best when he commented that you were making assumptions as well as he.

If I am mistaken in how I viewed your problem solving process, then set me straight, preferably with acceptable language.

Have you recently viewed other Ugo sites in the same scale that you view LF at? Have you received any viral popups?

Have you eliminated the possibility of spyware on your own system?

Have you tried to explore any alternative?

Actually, I think JK2Files.com had some.....

Downloaded Firefox 8.0 btw. ;)

Originally posted by ZBomber

Actually, I think JK2Files.com had some.....

Downloaded Firefox 8.0 btw. ;)

Ah good, then soon you shall be under my command... yes, it's too late now, you are forever in my...PYRAMID SCHEME!

Nah, have fun with it though, download some extentions (adblock will help you get rid of banner ads) and skins (i'm currently using Apollo although I also have Doodle, which is just funny. Oh, and press Ctrl T for tab browsing (or do it the long way, i forget how, i think it may be in file or something) which uis just excellent as you can have multiple pages open in one window (another reason it's better than IE)

Siv, hopefully that srvice pack for Ie will come out soon (or is it an XP patch which upgrades IE aslong with it?) as my parent's simply will not see the light of usinf Firefox (despite it having been downloaded onto their computer by me for them) and they hate the problems it comes up with when Ads are involved.

pbguy1211, question. Do you have any free file sharing programs on your hard drive like Kazaa or Grokster, because they come with ad programs that don't go away when you uninstall the program which may be causing the problem. It's most likely to be the ads from UGO, but this may be a possibility since a lot of people use these file sharing programs to download illegal mp3's. I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just making you aware of the possibilities.

Originally posted by Joshi

Siv, hopefully that srvice pack for Ie will come out soon (or is it an XP patch which upgrades IE aslong with it?) as my parent's simply will not see the light of usinf Firefox (despite it having been downloaded onto their computer by me for them) and they hate the problems it comes up with when Ads are involved.

Joshi, try WebWasher Classic when your parents are using IE. It blocks all ads: banners, pop-ups, and tricky self downloads and JAVA badness.

Originally posted by Joshi

yeah, its a patch for XP which includes 'windows firewall' and also it adds a pop-up blocker to IE and fixes a whole lot of security holes.

anyone who really doesn't want to use anything else but IE should get SP2 for XP as soon as its released (check http://www.microsoft.com and windows update regularly)

it should stop all these problems.

PBguy1211: Oh, for Pete's--look, when the trojan pops up, put it on. :dozey: You will be quite protected from viruses.

:D

Seriously, I use IE XP with all the updates, and Norton with all the updates...and I haven't experienced the problems you're describing. Your machine must be crazy.

Further note: you will have more luck yelling at the management of a website over service issues if it's one you actually pay for. I believe it was Butthead himself who said, 'Hey, it was free, asswipe!'

I've given up bitching about it. Hence, why I've not been here for a while. I shouldn't have to download ****, so they can keep the infected ads.

PLus, I'm reformating this computer soon, so it doesn't matter to me for now.

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

I've given up bitching about it. Hence, why I've not been here for a while. I shouldn't have to download ****, so they can keep the infected ads.

So, you want us to shield you from infection so that you can have lax security concerns?

You will be infected someplace else.

You can read any of my above posts for elaboration.

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

You have no idea how much that will actually help. Thousand of people using LF and IE and only a small percentage get these problems, I'm guessing it's spyware of some other add/virus on you're computer working in the background along with IE to produce these problems. Therefore, reformatting you're computer is quiite probably the best thing you can do.

*public service announcement*

one can install an os without formating anything.

so on topic..

who is going to be responsible if you get robbed because you did not close the window?

also even if lf gets rid of hugo, it's not said that lf is secure then, i mean there is always the possibility left that you "get infected" at lf although they might do everything to protect you.

My security is far from lax. The only thing I don't have is a firewall because it's a pain to configure, at least for me since I have no experience with firewalls. It's just really annoying.

And I think the main reason why many people have not been getting infected ads is because the ads vary by location.

And I'll say this, I haven't gotten any infected ads since I visited the other day. I still get the ads, but I can't complain about them. They are keeping this service free ;)

If a bank has the best security it can afford (and lets say it's a big bank with lots of money) and still manages to get robbed, it's security is considered lax.

If you have all the best software on your computer to deal with IE security and still got infected ads, then it is lax. weirdly enough, browsers like opera and firefox and free of charge, very small (as dowloads go) and a lot better. It's really not much of a hassle to get it, but if you find you have to stand by your principles and hold on to IE just fso LF get the message, then so be it.

Oh, and nice free firewalls downloaded from the internet are usually easy to configure as long as you have the time to do it, but an abscence of a firewall is pretty much the reason you're getting these viri. (or were getting these viri, they've probably stopped now because UGO was aware of it and did something about it... probably)

Archived