Home

Redo M1 and M2?

pirate boy

Question:

If someone went back and redid the first two monkey islands in the style of curse of monkey island would you still want to play them? Has anyone tried doing this before already? (yeah you can tell I'm new here)

Oh and what did you guys think of Guybrush undertaking a facial change in Escape of Monkey Island.

*ponderous material*

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would play it out of curiosity, but not set out to like it for numerous reasons that I've gone into detail with before in another thread. If I can find it, I'll quote it, but not now.

No ones yet tried to do this (and I think legal matters would prohibit any would-be fangame maker doing it)

And personally, I didn't like the face change. Somewhere around here is a recent thread of someone who, for fun, did a clay model of Guybrush's head from CMI. I think that would have been better as teh 3D Guybrush. If you go to the Fan Stuff forum, I think it's under 'Guybrush's Bust' or something like that. Looks great. But EMI was a dissapointment in so many ways, i never think a game should be so frustrating that you don't want to play it anymore and yet, it's tediousness did this entirely.

• 1 month later...

I would love a remake of Monkeys Island 1 and 2, I would like it to be in Full 2D but with photo realistic Graphics the Characters, Scenery. Also added Voice-overs and upgraded Music similar to the music in Monkeys Island 2. I would like Guybrush Threepwood to look like he did in Monkeys Island 2 with blue jacket and brown hair. If there will be a remake of Monkeys Island 1 and 2 I Don’t Know I guess there is always a possibility.

I didn’t like Guybrush's facial change in Escape of Monkey Island the graphics were very basic and Guybrush Threepwood looked more like a pansy than a pirate. I preferred how he looked in Monkeys Island 2.

Originally posted by Largo LaGrande

I would like Guybrush Threepwood to look like he did in Monkeys Island 2 with blue jacket and brown hair.

I am still against this, but even if they did do it, why would you want him to look the same in both games. The blue jacket thing in MI2 is meant to be a mark of his wealth suince the last game, the raggedy white shirt in the first game is meant to portray his poverty at the beginning. it wouldn't make sense to have him wear the same thing throughout, especially the blue jaket in the first game.

I think Guybrush Threepwood looked his best ever in Monkeys Island 2. Guybrush didn’t wear the white shirt as a sign of poverty of course he was poor in Monkeys Island 1 that was the storyline but the white shirt was just a white shirt. In Monkeys Island 4 he was wearing a white shirt and yet he is married to Elaine Marley-Threepwood governor Marley of Mêlée, Booty and Plunder Island he lives in a Mansion and is richer beyond his wildest dreams.

:monkey4: :monkey4: :monkey4::sweating:

I think Guybrush Threepwood looked his best ever in Monkeys Island 2. Guybrush didn’t wear the white shirt as a sign of poverty of course he was poor in Monkeys Island 1 that was the storyline but the white shirt was just a white shirt. In Monkeys Island 4 he was wearing a white shirt and yet he is married to Elaine Marley-Threepwood governor Marley of Mêlée, Booty and Plunder Island he lives in a Mansion and is richer beyond his wildest dreams.

Even still, he was poor in MI1 (and apparently, they weren't exactly rolling in the stuff in EMI), how the hell could he have afforded a jacket like that with no money?

Guybrush didn’t wear the white shirt as a sign of poverty of course he was poor in Monkeys Island 1 that was the storyline but the white shirt was just a white shirt. In Monkeys Island 4 he was wearing a white shirt and yet he is married to Elaine Marley-Threepwood governor Marley of Mêlée, Booty and Plunder Island he lives in a Mansion and is richer beyond his wildest dreams.

The white shirt was white and not dirty so he obviously has enough money to get it washed at Mad Marty's and it looks like an expensive designer shirt to me. Maybe he bought his coat from Marks an Spenser’s. Joshi I think your thinking to deep Its a story game its not real.

Responding to the thread author, I would play them, but only if the team that was responsible for CMI did it. Some fan doing things how he interprets them could turn out very nastily, especially if they were to get confused with the plot and stuff (which can get a bit confusing with MI2 in particular).

By the way, for those that missed it on TSB..

LechucksRevenge080104200130.jpg

Guybrush didn’t wear the white shirt as a sign of poverty of course he was poor in Monkeys Island 1 that was the storyline but the white shirt was just a white shirt. In Monkeys Island 4 he was wearing a white shirt and yet he is married to Elaine Marley-Threepwood governor Marley of Mêlée, Booty and Plunder Island he lives in a Mansion and is richer beyond his wildest dreams.

The white shirt was white and not dirty so he obviously has enough money to get it washed at Mad Marty's and it looks like an expensive designer shirt to me. Maybe he bought his coat from Marks an Spenser’s. Joshi I think your thinking to deep Its a story game its not real.

Okay, so you're pretty much repeating yourself here, so I'm just gonna sum up. MI2, expensive jacket, loadsa money, MI1, no expensive jacket, nothing to his name. To me that makes sense. I can't see why it doesn't to you.

The way it works is when your working with a limited color palatte you pick a color shirt that's easy and will not conflict with your backgrounds. The way it works is because the production team didn't have much money Guybrush had to wear a white shirt. Then after the game was released and LucasArts became rich beyond their wildest imaginations they put Guybrush through the same 'right of passage' and gave him big fancy more dificult to create outfits and loads of cash, same as the employees of the company at that time. In fact the whole Monkey Island series is sort of an autobiography of several key members of the staff. They were actually pirates and have chosen to spread their story to the world in the form of a game where the main characters clothes represent their growth.

But the real point is that MI2 remake in CMI style looked incredible.

The way it works is when your working with a limited color palatte you pick a color shirt that's easy and will not conflict with your backgrounds. The way it works is because the production team didn't have much money Guybrush had to wear a white shirt. Then after the game was released and LucasArts became rich beyond their wildest imaginations they put Guybrush through the same 'right of passage' and gave him big fancy more dificult to create outfits and loads of cash, same as the employees of the company at that time. In fact the whole Monkey Island series is sort of an autobiography of several key members of the staff. They were actually pirates and have chosen to spread their story to the world in the form of a game where the main characters clothes represent their growth.

Pixels don’t cost money and the jacket is not very difficult to create. I create Monkey Island characters for fun using the same technique as they did then.

The whole Jacket idea was actually Guybrush Threepwoods transition from Monkey Island 1 Guybrush Threepwood wana be pirate to Monkey Island 2 Guybrush Threepwood Mighty Pirate.

Dude, why the hell would you want to see MI1 and 2 re-made?

They're two pretty much perfect games that are still totally playable. They've stood the test of the time and will continue to do so. There are often new fans, who aren't deterred by the dated look of the games. That's because it's dated but brilliant. Why would you try to improve on the art in Monkey Island 2? It's awesome! Likewise the MIDI music.

For me, playing an old game is never unenjoyable because of old technology. Technology is just so unimportant to real gameplay. A remake that just re-did what had been done with 'nicer' graphics and a recorded orchestra would just be an exercise in pointlessness. The ultimate appealing factor in any game, gameplay, would either remain the same, or become worse.

I really don't think SoMI or MI2 being turned into CoMI lookalikes or anything else 'newer' is necessary or even a good idea. It wouldn't work well.

As for the idea of making either of the first two games with photo-realistic graphics, you must have been smoking some bad granola. I think that would look awful and wrong.

Pixels don’t cost money and the jacket is not very difficult to create. I create Monkey Island characters for fun using the same technique as they did then.

The whole Jacket idea was actually Guybrush Threepwoods transition from Monkey Island 1 Guybrush Threepwood wana be pirate to Monkey Island 2 Guybrush Threepwood Mighty Pirate.

Perhaps you misread mine, try it again with rampant sarcasm at this pointless discussion.

I"m kinda testy today, sorry if this sounds harsh.

It a novel idea, and would be interesting to see, but I think it's pointless. They already look great, and unique.

As for his face change in EMI, uh, he changed in all the games. I don't just mean clothes and facial hair, but his face changed. In each game, guybrush changed in the same way that the art style changed. MI2 Guybrush looks a lot like MI1 Guybrush because the styles changed. Then in MI3 he's a lot taller and skinnier with a long face, and in MI4, the style changed a lot again, and so did his face.

About his MI2 coat. In MI1, he was a wannabe pirate who just shows up on an island with nothing but aspirations. Then he becomes famous after becoming a pirate and defeating LeChuck, the most fearsome pirate ever who also is a GHOST. He's famous, wants to show maturity, so he grows a beard, and gets a coat with the vast ricfhes he's aqcuired from his fame. This whole concept should be obvious to anyone who isn't retarded.

JawaJoey we obviously understand the game better. Because that’s exactly what I said it was nothing to do with him being poor they obviously haven’t read the book or understood the game correctly.

Like I said the whole Jacket idea was actually Guybrush Threepwoods transition from Monkey Island 1 Guybrush Threepwood wana be pirate to Monkey Island 2 Guybrush Threepwood Mighty Pirate.

GuyBrush Threepwood's face change in MI2 was him growing up from MI1 young boy in to a teenager in MI2. I preferred the more realistic and detailed Guybrush Threepwood he looked more like a mighty pirate in MI2, now Lucasarts have made Guybrush Threepwood looks more like wimp than a Mighty Pirate I hope they change him back to how he looked in MI2.

JawaJoey we obviously understand the game better. Because that’s exactly what I said it was nothing to do with him being poor they obviously haven’t read the book or understood the game correctly.

Sorry, which book is this?

And also, didn't I say that? I believe it was you who said he should wear the jacket in both games and me who said that the jacket stood for how much wealth he had at the begionning of the second game so wouldn't make sense in the first.

I don't know if I'd need to see MI1 & 2 re-made (as they're pretty nifty as they are!), but I'd certainly be interested in seeing the results... although, I liked the earlier idea of re-making EMI!

It's such a shame with EMI... I just really feel the 3D really detracted from what could have been. Dom was still fab, and Elaine looked pretty good in 3D. But, Guybrush just didn't seem the same.

It's weird, actually. As Grim really worked well in 3D. Maybe 3D wasn't right for EMI as it didn't fit in with the tone of the game, or perhaps we're just so used to seeing MI in it's previous forms, that it was just such a huge deviation to get used to...?

Oh, and that pic Thrik posted is GORGEOUS! :)

Archived