Home

Ghost Recon 2 sparks idiocy

CapNColostomy

"Ghost Recon 2 plotline irks North Korea

Government newspaper lashes back at American "propaganda;" no word on whether Kim Jong Il enjoyed the first game.

Red Storm's upcoming mutliplatform tactical shooter Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 has North Korea up in arms, according to the American military newspaper Stars and Stripes. Apparently, the North Korean government is miffed about the story line and setting of the game, wherein a North Korean general diverts food to the military, eventually taking power of the country and invading China. Players join the elite Ghost Recon force as they intervene on the behalf of China to repel the attack.

Scenes from videos of the game, debuted at this year's E3, caught North Korea's attention. “Through propaganda, entertainment and movies,” read a recent column in the Tongil Newspaper, "[Americans] have shown everyone their hatred for us. This may be just a game to them now, but a war will not be a game for them later. In war, they will only face miserable defeat and gruesome deaths.”

Such strong words did not seem to deter Christopher Allen, a designer on the Ghost Recon 2 team. “When we developed the story background, we aimed at staying away from key current or specific events while still having a reasonable setting for a conflict,” Allen wrote. “We are focusing the story on a splinter group in the North Korean military that sparks this conflict, not the entire country.”

Despite, North Korea's protests, development will continue on Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 for all consoles and the PC. All versions are set for release in November 2004. Check out the GameSpace for more information on the game."

Source:Gamespot.

I really enjoyed the original Ghost Recon, along with its expansion packs, and I wouldn't care if I had to play as a Korean that was killing Americans. The game was that enjoyable to me. Because unlike the people involved in the press in North Korea, and the mindless drones that believe the press, I'm a big boy, and can tell the difference between games and reality. So I have one word for the upset North Koreans.

Retarded.

Originally posted by RoxStar

Its just an excuse to justify starting a war.

Yeah, the guy did make some pretty nasty threats, huh? They must have to be doing some heavy fishing to come up with crap like our games to piss and moan and want to kill us over. And here I thought it was our government and it's policies, or lack of them. What's next? Telletubbies are brainwashing American kids to hate Koreans? Paranoid dumbass.

"In todays news, Tom Clancy plots to counquer Asia through his very enjoyable video games. More at eleven."

My point exactly Insane.

It's just stupid. I can and do tell the difference between video games and real life. I just played GTA3 and went out on a rampage with the flamethrower! I think I'll do that right now in real life!

I think Tim Buckly of CAD put it perfectly...

but anyways, yeah. Wait till bush hears about this :xp:

I keed, I keed.

:)

I agree with Sith. People are too damn sensitive these days.

I also agree with Capn, and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I were playing a video game where I was controlling a group of terrorists plotting evils against the US.

ITS A FREAKIN VIDEO GAME. :rolleyes:

But my mommy says video games turned me into a vile perfectly aimed psychopath with murder on the mind.[/sarcasm]

Games didn't do that to me, people who think games did that to me did that to me.

****in soccer moms and overzealous politicians.

I heard they tried banning FPS's in LA. What they should do is give them games to police. Seriously, back in whenever(99 I believe), when that guy was mowed down in Detroit(I think?), the police fired 48 rounds, 21 of which hit him. There was a fire fight in LA between police and some suspects at point blank range and nobody was hurt. I also heard/read that a kid shot up some place(forgot what place exactly), fired 8 shots hit 9 people.

Man, the soldiers of tommorow are gonna be some ****in finely tuned machines.

It would actually be nice to have the odd game where we get to play against the americans for once.

But i bet if someone released a game where you got to play as japanese or korean soldiers killing US troops there would be an outcry in at least some sections of the US media. For a day or two anyway.

Press Release:

MOH: Pearl Harbour. EA's new game will immerse you in the momentous events of pearl harbour as you take on the role of a courageous japanese bomber pilot and attempt outwit the US and sink their warships. The action will then move to an accurate recreation of jungle warfare as you attempt to defeat the US incursions into your area and rack up GI kills. Features amazing lush vegitation and the HAVOK3 physics engine . Watch in amazement as a GI trips one of your boobytraps and the havok physics realistically send his body flying.

Originally posted by RoxStar

Every country is supposed to maek video games about blowing up another country or after a real war.

I wanna make a game where you fly the ship that nukes Japan all to Hell.

Originally posted by toms

It would actually be nice to have the odd game where we get to play against the americans for once.

But i bet if someone released a game where you got to play as japanese or korean soldiers killing US troops there would be an outcry in at least some sections of the US media. For a day or two anyway.

I haven't noticed any picket signs regarding Battlefield 1942 where if you choose to play on Axis, you can kill as many Americans or Brits as your skill will allow for. Or Call of Duty's multiplayer mode. Those two are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. So there are games where you can fight Americans. Sit down toms, they'll still be in the store when you're done reading this. toms? Anybody here?

who me?;)

Just to be clear, i'm not saying a media outcry would be justified, and i definately take an american-bashing article in a state controlled korean newspaper with a pinch of salt.

I'd also say there is a little difference between a multiplayer combat game and a game with the specific aim of killing people of a certain group... or at least as far as media outcry is concerned.

Penny Arcade were going to do an article where one of them interviewed his grandfather about how he felt about his wartime experiences being turned into casual entertainment... but i don't think it ever materialised. Which is a shame, as i'd have liked to have heard that point of view.

However I don't see why games should be treated much different from other media, and they all see fit to use certain groups as "bad guys".

North Korea seems to be the new bad guy of choice, it used to be nazis, then russians, then china... now we want to be friends with all those countries so north korea becomes the new bad guy (or terrorists of course). They will just have to live with it.

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

I haven't noticed any picket signs regarding Battlefield 1942 where if you choose to play on Axis, you can kill as many Americans or Brits as your skill will allow for. Or Call of Duty's multiplayer mode. Those two are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. So there are games where you can fight Americans. Sit down toms, they'll still be in the store when you're done reading this. toms? Anybody here?

That's because the games were set in the context of a situation decades in the past. The physical and emotional ordeals and experiences during WWII are almost but forgotten by the population today. However, with games set in (almost) modern times like GR2, people are more sensitive to what goes on in the game, as it holds a particular realism to the present world, even if it was meant to be fictional.

Nevertheless, this accusation of "warmongering" is kind of overreacting. GR1 was set in the USSR breakoff state of Georgia, and there was no constrovery created on the Russians' part when it was announced.

Originally posted by wassup

That's because the games were set in the context of a situation decades in the past. The physical and emotional ordeals and experiences during WWII are almost but forgotten by the population today. However, with games set in (almost) modern times like GR2, people are more sensitive to what goes on in the game, as it holds a particular realism to the present world, even if it was meant to be fictional.

Nevertheless, this accusation of "warmongering" is kind of overreacting. GR1 was set in the USSR breakoff state of Georgia, and there was no constrovery created on the Russians' part when it was announced.

I see what you're saying, and I agree to an extent. But as you know, I've been playing Joint Operations, which is also set on a fictional conflict, between Indonesian Rebels, and the United States and its allies. And no stink comes out of Indonesia. Why? While I certainly can't say for sure, it just seems to me North Korea wants to stir as much **** as possible. Any little thing that happens regarding the US,from their nuclear weapons program to having new and improved Chicken McNuggets, and N. Korea pisses and moans about how we're provoking them, and blah blah blah. It's a game, you asses.

Archived