Home

Anime

Lynk Former

I'm a big anime fan, I've got my own anime site and forum and a tonne of anime DVDs :D

Anywayz, I was just wondering if anyone here likes animes and if so which animes, do you like a certain genre or are you an all rounder like me?

And for those of you who hate anime or have something against it I suggest you don't just say "anime sucks" if you don't like it give us a reason why not and don't try to just provoke people.

Like I said I'm an allrounder when it comes to animes, I'll watch anything from RahXephon and Evangelion to Chobits and Someday's Dreamers.

My attention is on RahXephon at the moment which is so damn good XD I can't wait for the movie to be released.

Oh and if any of you are wondering who that is in my avatar, it's Roy Focker from Super Dimension Fortress Macross aka Robotech: The Macross Saga.

Originally posted by Lynk Former

]My attention is on RahXephon at the moment which is so damn good XD I can't wait for the movie to be released.

that f*ckin cat, Buchi.

Lynk, you already know all the anime I like, and it's way too much to list. and You already have me signed up at your site. but whatever, yeah, I love anime like if it was a woman, I'd marry it and have kids with it and like do nasty stuff to it.

and I think everyone knows I have a soft spot for catgirls and catboys.

*throws a furrie at lynks face and giggles*

The only anime i've got is Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Street Fighter 2 - all class films. I've also seen a lot of stuff like Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D and the Devil Man series as well - it's all good sh*t.

The Animatrix is full of good stuff as well.

I think a lot of people dismiss manga as "just for kids" which is blatantly wrong considering how much violence and nudity is often in there.

Also, I know it's not considered Anime, but i've really got into Samurai Jack on the cartoon network - possibly the best animated series ever - that's why the team was picked to do the Clone Wars micro series!

@ Codja: Wow a lot of the older anime's lol.

The only problem with the older animes is that that they were all just violence and nudity so people got a stereotypical view that ALL anime has violence and nudity in it. In Last Exile you will NOT see any nudity and in Someday's Dreamers you will NOT see any violence (or nudity) but both animes are still great shows to watch.

Anime i've seen (in no special order):

Ghost In A Shell

Akira

Princess Mononoke

Vampire Hunter D

Evangelion

Ninja Scroll

Trigun

Cowboy Bebop

Sailor Moon

Robotech/Macross

Animatrix

Riddick: Dark Fury

Dragonball Z

(a few older ones I cannot remember titles)

Why have I seen these? About 75% of my freinds like anime, and are ALWAYS trying to get me into it. It's like "Groovy, try THIS one I KNOW you'll like it!" I just can never understand the attraction. I usually spend about 20 minutes divulging the plot, and the last hour or so making fun of everything. I just cannot get into it, no matter how hard I try. I currently own Animatrix, and Dark Fury. Now Animatrix has SOME interesting things on it, but Dark Fury was just dreadfully bad.

Sorry Lynky.

:(

/$.02

XD Yknow it's actually cheaper to get Anime DVDs down here in Australia than in the US lol

Do you get a lot of Jap imported stuff down in Oz? Here in the UK, we have Region 2 dvds - the same as Japan, so as long as our TV's support NTSC we can get all the new and hard to get stuff as well. The problem is learning how to understand Japanese....

The reason most of the stuff I like is the older stuff is because that's when I was in to it. I can't believe that Akira is almost 15 years old - I personally don't think it's aged at all.

Possibly the reason the older stuff is full of sex and violence is so that it would sell - otherwise most people would write it off as "strange cartoons for kids". Now that Manga has firmly established itself in the "west" we are starting to get more and more character and story based features (e.g. spirited away) rather than just big guns, boobs, demons and robots.

Also, has anyone seen any of the Anime version of the Star Wars stuff?

I think a lot of people only see Anime as the stuff on tv like Pokemon and Yuh-gi-Oh! These series don't have amazingly high production values and don't represent the quality of some of the feature length films that have been released.

If you're unsure about Manga or Anime, rent a copy of Akira on DVD and you'll soon be converted - it has all the trademark Japanese Animation hallmarks: bikes, guns, satellite strikes and far out, spiritual ending.

It's awesome - trust me:)

[edit: and the music is brilliant as well - using classic japanese percussion instruments]

Originally posted by Codja X

I think a lot of people only see Anime as the stuff on tv like Pokemon and Yuh-gi-Oh! These series don't have amazingly high production values and don't represent the quality of some of the feature length films that have been released.

If you're unsure about Manga or Anime, rent a copy of Akira on DVD and you'll soon be converted - it has all the trademark Japanese Animation hallmarks: bikes, guns, satellite strikes and far out, spiritual ending.

It's awesome - trust me:)

[edit: and the music is brilliant as well - using classic japanese percussion instruments]

I know there is more anime, but for a long time, I didn't have Cartoon Network and other anime channels, so i only saw stuff on WBZ or whatever Pokemon was on. I do have Cartoon Network now, but I rarely watch TV

best anime movie to start off with for an anime beginner is the Cowboy Bebop movie IMO

he he Im watching that right now !

but im an old skool anime fella, going way back to Battle of The Planets... :D my fave anime series is of course Astroboy(original series only!), my fave feature is Ninja Scroll..... :D I want to get into some of the newer stuff, but I just cant afford it :( damn mortgage !!! :(

Lynk, I just noticed, you an aussie :D you wouldnt happen to be in melbourne...... :D

mtfbwya

Was the original Transformers japanese?

Also, in regard to Samurai Jack, I know it's not Japanese animation, but it's still cool. I do apologise for going off topic on that one.

Finally, is Metropolis (another Katsuhiro Otomo feature) any good?

Archived