Home

A new thought for swgb2

pbguy1211

Vostok - yes, bit RoN also has sea combat which mine does not. The Auto-Transport option solves the problem of water crossing without superflous units or structures like bridges, while at the same time keeping the flow of gameplay going and making water-crossing units suitable vulnerable as they would be weak and unable to fire.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Froz: like Luke's Dad said, this is not a bad thing. It discourages turtling without making it a completely unviable tactic like RoN and AoM have.

Viceroy: only one type of bridge I think. I don't really see the point of having different types of bridges for different types of things.

Windu: It's true that building a shipyard just to get a transport when your design has no naval component is superfluous. But the rediculous ease with which you can cross water would then make the game rediculous. The "problem" of crossing water certainly isn't a problem anymore, it's a no-brainer. For example, I believe in RoN you can't use transports until you have built a shipyard; what sort of limitation is in your design? At any rate, I think it would be better to take the approach that other games without naval combat have taken and only allow transportation through the air and not have any naval transportation.

I'd forgotten what this forum was like

a predictable game of Verbal Ping-Pong.

Regardless if there is no naval then there has to be bridges Air transports won't be abe to hold enough to avoid major micro management, therefore we need some srt of bridge or maybe you could build a repulsorlift barge from a mech factory analuge that could carry large amount of forces over gaps. either way we're gonna have to come up with a near micro management free way opf transporting large forces in as less time as possible.

Viceroy: as long as that micro-management-free method is not that of RoNs, which is totally dumb, I'd be happy.

Windu: available at the start of the game!? That's just rediculous. At least have it eventually become available through research. If you have it automatically available at the start what's the point of even having water on a map?

There is also lava that can be crossed too in a select few maps. Naval vessels can't go there whether they are available or not. I think that having one type of bridge is all that is needed later in the game for moving large number of troops. That will be when you need it anyway, for your larger armies to cross, not a rush or scouts but for large amounts of units. That makes trans ports effective early, but don't give them immediately. Maybe the bridge doesn't even come until T4?

Vostok - i did say i was considering making it part of research. Apart from that, units crossing medium/deep water would be unable to fire, weak and slow, plus there is a delay is becoming a transport and then reverting. As for lava and whatnot, if an AT-AT cant survive walking through it, what makes you think a brigde could be built over it? In that instance, air transports would be needed. Aside from that, lava would not be very commen so it wouldnt present a big problem.

Viceroy, they didn't have different art in SWGB. Besides, Empire Strikes Back shows us that people are fine when on an asteroid with no atmosphere, as long as they wear a flimsy breathing mask ;)

Windu, I still think it would be better if they didn't have the instant transport thing at all. Bridges are a much more novel concept, which is both better for realism and gameplay.

Whatever. They still shouldn't have it.

Froz complained before that allowing bridges would be too hard to defend against. I don't think it will, since it takes a fair amount of time to build a bridge, if you're keeping watch on your shores you'll avert it in time.

However, having water transports without a navy cartainly would be too hard to defend against. It will allow you to attack from any angle, without a navy to stop you (or for that matter protect you).

Vostok - not true. For example, if you are playing on an island map, and you see an enemy invasion force headed your way by sea, you just send your units down to the beach and/or set up fighter/bomber patrols, which will slaughter the enemy sea forces. This form of transporting will only be a problem to the weak or the stupid.

Despite my earlier prounouncement I am compelled to point out that everybody finds new ways to use units contstantly.

Ever heard of a two pronged assault you send empty watr transports to one beach and full transports to another beach the empty ones get destroyed the full ones unload and wipe your base of the map.

Bridges are good and are nessacery unless you plan to put naval in since some people on island maps could easily just turtle and then after a while obliterate you with a huge force.

Viceroy - you've missed the point. What i am saying is that units become transports, then when they hit land they revert back to the original units. You are not buying or building anything else, so what you are saying is utterly impossible as an 'empty transport' would never exist.

Froz:

Originally posted by FroZticles

Bridges could add alot of frustration, you have covered all your entry points ohhh wait a second my workers are getting wiped out thanks to a bridge at the back of my base. Also does not make much sense since they have transports in the first place.

Windu: Viceroy's point is still valid. Let's say on one front you get 10 AT-ATs on the water in their magical transports. On the other front you get 10 Stormtroopers in their magical transports. The enemy sees ten transports heading for his shore, and not knowing they only contain a single Stormtrooper, sends all his army to stop them. Meanwhile the ten AT-ATs land on another shore.

But the main reason I hate the magical transport idea is that it is just too unsophisticated. It dumbs-down water-based maps to a rediculous level on no-brain "tactics". I want a Real Time Strategy game, not a Baby's First Battles like RoN.

Archived