Home

KOTOR:TSL Workbench How do you want it to work?

RedHawke

KOTOR:TSL Workbench which build new item option would you prefer?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. KOTOR:TSL Workbench which build new item option would you prefer?

• I want Repair to effect what I can do, and I can mess up when creating an item.
    • I want Repair to effect what I can do, and no ruining of item components.
    • I want it just like in KOTOR.
    • I don't really care, just as long as I can do something.

This comes from Achillies thread about the Lightsabre upgrades in KOTOR:TSL, and it addresses the workbench.

The workbench in KOTOR was not as useful as it could have been, and Obsidian said they were radically changing upgrades in KOTOR:TSL and even allowing for unused items to be broken down into components and remade into other new items.

So the basic question is this should your repair skill have an effect on what you can upgrade or build, and should you be able to mess up and destroy some parts completely when trying to build something new?

Heres mine to start;

I hope that in KOTOR:TSL you can also mess up (Read: Fail a Repair Roll Miserably) when assembling broken down components for new items, and have to find new ones and start making the item over, that would add a whole new and more realistic expirience with the workbench... In my opinion anyway! :D

What do you all think?

The only way that I'll feel comfortable with the "ruining" thing, is if they provide more upgrade parts. To the best of my knowledge the broken down parts can be used to configure new weapons, but not necessarily upgrade them. For that you will actually need upgrade parts. Based on the number of upgrade parts that we found in KotOR, I'm hesistant to say, "Go ahead and destroy it...I'll find another one" in TSL.

I think repairing an item should be kind of like a mini game, the less time you complete it in the more experience you get for your repair level, and the better your item is. The higher your repair level gets the easier it is to repair stuff.

Good idea? :)

Originally posted by Pal™

I think repairing an item should be kind of like a mini game, the less time you complete it in the more experience you get for your repair level, and the better your item is. The higher your repair level gets the easier it is to repair stuff.

Good idea? :)

Interesting idea. So you would get experience points when you upgrade a weapon? That seems a little odd for KotOR, but maybe that's just me.

Originally posted by Prime

I hope the repair skill is used for upgrades, but I don't really want ruined components. I'd rather the skill check determine how well the thing works...

Prime, what I meant with ruined components is something like that would only happen if you blow the skill check roll when construcing a new item very badly (Roll a critical failure).

It kind of would add just a little edgy/risky element to new item construction, making your critical sucsesses even more sweet.

Originally posted by RedHawke

Prime, what I meant with ruined components is something like that would only happen if you blow the skill check roll when construcing a new item very badly (Roll a critical failure).

It kind of would add just a little edgy/risky element to new item construction, making your critical sucsesses even more sweet.

Methinks you're a masochist :)

Again, this might not be so bad if they make a point to include more of the necessary upgrade items in the game (not the standard part that you can get by taking another item apart). For instance, there are only 4 or 5 improved energy cells in KotOR. If burned up 2 of them due to a critical skill failure, that means that I could have only 2 more chances to upgrade a weapon. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Originally posted by Achillies

Methinks you're a masochist :)

Again, this might not be so bad if they make a point to include more of the necessary upgrade items in the game (not the standard part that you can get by taking another item apart). For instance, there are only 4 or 5 improved energy cells in KotOR. If burned up 2 of them due to a critical skill failure, that means that I could have only 2 more chances to upgrade a weapon. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

I wasn't referring to upgrades, those don't have a reasonable explination for being able to be destroyed. Upgrades are modular, though some might require a certain level of repair skill to install correctly.

I was always referring to the ability to break down old and unused items and use their components to make new items, that is where in an RPG that you should be able to botch things up, or even make an item better than expected, all pending the skill check at construction.

I hope that clears what I was asking up! :D

I wasn't referring to upgrades, those don't have a reasonable explination for being able to be destroyed. Upgrades are modular, though some might require a certain level of repair skill to install correctly.

I was always referring to the ability to break down old and unused items and use their components to make new items, that is where in an RPG that you should be able to botch things up, or even make an item better than expected, all pending the skill check at construction.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place? :D

I hope that in KOTOR:TSL you can also mess up (Read: Fail a Repair Roll Miserably) when assembling broken down components for new items, and have to find new ones and start making the item over, that would add a whole new and more realistic expirience with the workbench...

I did say it before... just not as clearly I guess! :D

Methinks that as well, except (unless this is what you mean (it is 05:55)) you could botch the breaking apart of the items, as well as the building of new ones. The lower your repair skill, the greater the risk of botching, but successfully creating/stripping an item would increase your skill.

@nacho35

Not entirely true. The greater your Repair skill, the less parts you have to use to repair droids to help you fight baddies, and you gain XP from repairing the droid.

Also, the higher your repair skill, the less chance you have of not being able to reset the droid in the tomb (the one sensetive to sound). I think this is right, I have always had a high repair skill, so I don't know if it is the case.

Just my 25 cents (2 adjusted for inflation).

:fett:

Originally posted by jedi_5002

@nacho35

Not entirely true. The greater your Repair skill, the less parts you have to use to repair droids to help you fight baddies, and you gain XP from repairing the droid.

Also, the higher your repair skill, the less chance you have of not being able to reset the droid in the tomb (the one sensetive to sound). I think this is right, I have always had a high repair skill, so I don't know if it is the case.

Just my 25 cents (2 adjusted for inflation).

:fett:

err...not too sure about the "more xp for repairing a droid" part. Also, your spoiler is incorrect. It's simply a puzzle and make no checks against your repair skill :)

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Pal™

But why would racing to get it finished make it better?

Besides, I don't care to turn Star Wars games into games about repairs and chores.

Leave that to Galaxies. shudder

Originally posted by Prime

Besides, I don't care to turn Star Wars games into games about repairs and chores.

Leave that to Galaxies. shudder

:rofl:

I tried the free trial they ran last month. I played for about 2 hours and then never touched it again.

i know that in kotor you were already very attuned to the force and all (given your true identity), but one of my qualms i had was how quickly and easily your were able to construct your first lightsaber on dantooine. it's supposed to be a very delicate and time-consuming process, one of trials and failures ... not a one shot deal with no interaction at all.

i'm all thumbs in real-life, and if i'm gonna play a role in a game that's somewhat similar i want the ability to screw things up. i think it would make the game that much more interesting, and add to the replay-ability if you can botch up a repair and/or reverse engineer of items.

Archived