Home

Deathstar

singard

Okay, this is all speculation on my part, but here goes ...

One of the best Battlefield 1942 maps is "Coral Sea," which is mostly a dog-fighting map where you spend your time in planes, or defending your team's aircraft carrier with a flak gun.

I think it would be really cool if Pandemic/Lucasarts released an add-on pack or downloadable map that was similar -- except using the Deathstar battle from episode IV. Imagine -- Tie Fighters, Tie Bombers, X-Wings and Y Wings all battling it out over the Deathstar.

This is all probably pointless hoping, but that would absolutely rock.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well could be a bit hard to do, as in you couldn't have the whole Death Start in the map atleast. Hmmmm kind a reminds me about the Galactic Conquest mod to BF1942, It had Death Star map, but the Death star in it was just a flat platform and there weren't any capital ships, so kind a missed the action. I would be happy to see space battles though, especially if they require invading enemy capital ships with transports. But it's really hard trying to make a Death Star into a map so I guess it's better to have it on the background. Also modding things like Star Destroyer seem to be impossible tasks, well you could have only few "indoor" places in it, like the Hangar and the Bridge ....... which could be captured. In Galactic Conquest there wasn't the option to invade enemy space ships, and well the models of the ships were rather raw.

Conclusion: Invadable and Destroyable Capital Ships + automated turrets + lots of players = Fun^10 000 000 :D

PS. Sorry if I got off-topic, got a bit carried away:cool:

Yeah atleast not in the retail game, though I hope that either the devs or some mod team will put up a space maps aswell. There's hardly any coding since the fighter crafts have been made already, perhaps some tweaking for the space feel but I wouldn't imagine it being that hard ( though I know nothing about coding :p ). So basically just modelling the capital ships and add space type backgrounds.

Originally posted by Dragnarr

Furthermore, did I mentioned boarding ships? What about a recreation of the SW Episode IV, start battle where Empire captures the rebel transport ship? Would totally rock, except the Star Destroyer might be bigger than the allowed map size ;)

It could fit into Jedi Academy...

Also, there was no space fighting in that part.

WARNING, space fight discussion starting!

We had a discussion like this before, and it went on for pages, though it would only take about three sentences to write down:

Some people like the idea, others think that it won't fit in the gameplay, that the game engine doesn't allow a space battle to be fun, or that we already have enough star wars space games.

Originally posted by singard

...I think it would be really cool if Pandemic/Lucasarts released an add-on pack or downloadable map that was similar -- except using the Deathstar battle from episode IV. Imagine -- Tie Fighters, Tie Bombers, X-Wings and Y Wings all battling it out over the Deathstar...

Originally posted by italegion

the death star map is also my game dream :)

Originally posted by Dragnarr

Yeah atleast not in the retail game, though I hope that either the devs or some mod team will put up a space maps aswell. There's hardly any coding since the fighter crafts have been made already, perhaps some tweaking for the space feel but I wouldn't imagine it being that hard ( though I know nothing about coding :p ). So basically just modelling the capital ships and add space type backgrounds.

Look there isnt going to be a deathstar no deathstar expansion pak no deathstar mod or addon.

There wont be a deathstar!!!

no offense to anyone but its true.

check out this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132546

This is a take from one preview

"There’s 2 modes available, Deathmatch and Conquest. Deathmatch is pretty standard and Conquest is a more mission-based multiplayer where gamers need to capture ground from their opponents. If they get enough territory, they’ll be able to receive a bonus consisting of new bots appearing and slaughtering the remains of the opposite forces.

These bots can be Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader or even the Death Star which will destroy a planet completely. This sounds pretty cool but we didn’t get to see it."

Some info about the special AI, The Death Star part sounds fun ;)

Originally posted by Jaden Malip

The guys at Lucas Arts probably could make a new map pack and release it over the internet. They did with Jedi Academy, and they have tons of textures and all the coding they would need to do it with.

Now I gonna teach your the difference between the developer and a publisher. You see, Jedi Academy was made by Raven Software, they made the game, just like Pandemic Studios are making Battlefront. Raven Software made the map pack, not Lucas Arts, so you can't base it on that.

Originally posted by yaebginn

a space map defeats the games purpose. Its not meant as a flying game. its meant as a ground based war game. the flying is only their as support for the soldiers (air cover and transpo) if you include a space map, it'd defeat the purpose.

Jedi Academy was supposed to be a FPS, yet they managed to squizee in a space battle map. I think if one was released for download, it would be similar in gameplay and feel as the Star Destroyer siege map released for JA. Its all possible.

Originally posted by SITH_ShadowCat

Jedi Academy was supposed to be a FPS, yet they managed to squizee in a space battle map. I think if one was released for download, it would be similar in gameplay and feel as the Star Destroyer siege map released for JA. Its all possible.

Actually the ships handling looks better in Battlefront, but I can't judge until I've played it.

Archived