Home

Ally factions playable!

subs0nic

After seeing the success of swapping in Jedi characters ( I had assumed this wouldn't work, so never tried it; but you know what they say about assumption :) ), I tried making Ally races (Wookiees, Ewoks etc) playable - and it worked.

Ewoks on Endor

Ever wondered if the Ewoks could've beaten the Empire on Endor by themselves? Now you can find out. ;) I left wookiees in so there was at least a chance of taking out the shield gen.

Screenies:

Ewok Character Selection

Eat stick, trooper!

Ewok speeder squad to the rescue

Wookiees on Kashyyyk

Load the Clone Wars Kashyyyk Islands map and defend your village against the Seperatist droids! I swear that Wookiee missile launcher is more powerful than any of the others...

Wookiee Character Selection

Droid go boom

I'm going to put this up for download purely because I think everyone needs to hear the sound of 100 ewoks charging to their furry deaths; it's something special. :D

Download: http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/subs0nic/mission.rar

The free hosting server I'm using just now seems to be having some issues with dropped connections, so you might have to try a couple times.

Just back up your mission.lvl as always and copy over with the one in the .rar file.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, most of my time (after working 10 hours) was spent slugging through sound .lvl files trying to make sense of them :/ This mod actually only took literally 5 minutes - simple mission.lvl change, all the ally units are already loaded there, just need to change which units load for the teams.

Tomorrow I might take a day off to actually play the game :D

Originally posted by Rends

Na, tomorrow you should make the Naboo Gard playable :-)

And i see someone will cross the line in the future and make all those Jar Jars playable too,lol

Nice work so far.

Rends

Ask and ye shall receive..

So it's official - I get tomorrow off. :)

TK - www.rarlab.com :)

EDIT: Moderators - just a passing thought before I hit the sack: could we possibly get a sticky thread where we can discuss new info on hacking the lvl files, and other modding info? Would help prevent important details possibly getting buried under 'cool map idea' threads.

good work subs0nic :)

i'm gonna post a news on We dont care about your site. No advertising. ~Alegis but before i have to ask some things:

• i replaced the 'mission.lvl' with the original mission file. is there another way to do that?

• the 1st person view of the wookie is too close (in quake its the setting cg_fov :p)

all in all:

not really playable but its funny to play ewoks and wookie with rocket luncher :D

cant wait for your next 'mini mods' ;)

Thanks. :) I had noticed that the first person view for some of these units had a bad fov, not sure how to fix this just now.

• i replaced the 'mission.lvl' with the original mission file. is there another way to do that?

Do you mean to remove the mod? This is the easiest way I can think of.

Originally posted by Florihuana

i dont mean to delete it. i mean is there a way to have the original mission.lvl and your in one folder? rename or sth...but i dont know if it works

Unfortunately not at the moment, the original has to be backed up and replaced.

Great job. I didn't expect the ewok would be playable at all. Man, cant wait to try this one out

edit: this mod is great experience. Man the ewoks sure are weak (the second ewok class doesnt even have a tribal spear to throw with) but its just ace. You hear all these ewoks shout around you and all bein blasted.

throw.jpg

its hard to hit someone, except with the rocks but those hardly do any damage

I tried imperial and its great pistol practice :p but they sure are better in throwing spears

spear.jpg

dead.jpg

Originally posted by Alegis

Great job. I didn't expect the ewok would be playable at all. Man, cant wait to try this one out

If anyone does manage to beat the Empire as the Ewoks, get a screenshot when the Empire has 1 reinforcement ticker left to prove it and I'll be most impressed. :D

Stuff like this needs to be done for the Xbox and Ps2 versions!:confused:

The Console versions seem abandonded!

There have already been two patches for the PC version but what have the console versions got?

And don't tell me that things can't be dl on console!

This basically has nothing to do with this topic but I don't care!

Originally posted by Armydude71490

Stuff like this needs to be done for the Xbox and Ps2 versions!:confused:

You can't modify a console version. Only PC has mods and 3rd party software.

And devs don't release mods like these. Reason PC got some patches is a) the wide public and just to fix things. we havent got any new features yet

Nice job, thoug i dident try it, only saw screens, cant really wait untill maps are gonna be made and not replaced..

then we migt see some space maps etc.. like i posted in the official forum..

Would this also make you able to become a jedi... you would satify so meany players if u did that... just for fun..

Originally posted by Alowan

Nice job, thoug i dident try it, only saw screens, cant really wait untill maps are gonna be made and not replaced..

then we migt see some space maps etc.. like i posted in the official forum..

Would this also make you able to become a jedi... you would satify so meany players if u did that... just for fun..

Being a jedi is already possible, but I won't be releasing a mod for it any time soon, regardless of how much people might want it - that is the path of the dark side, young padawan. :)

Originally posted by Alegis

You can't modify a console version. Only PC has mods and 3rd party software.

Well, actually, if Pandemic/Lucas would take advantage of the new updated Xbox Live, we could be having modding for the Xbox, too. But it seems they don't know how to do multiplyer to well

:confused:

Hey, my quote didn't work :mad:

It might be a good idea to write a batch file for your mods and have it as a seperate icon - that way you can just click the icon and load the patched version.

In the directory, copy the patched file in as mission.patch.

The batch file would read (remember the directories must be the same so a cd directoryname is in order here)

ren mission.lvl to mission.patch

Copy the mission.patch file into \games\battlefront\gamedata\data\_lvl_pc

Jump to a DOS prompt and create the following batch file

cd\games\battlefront\gamedata (or whatever directory u put it in)

copy con playmod.bat

cd data

cd _lvl_pc

ren mission.lvl mission.orig

ren mission.patch mission.lvl

cd ..

cd ..

battlefront.exe

cd data

cd _lvl_pc

ren mission.lvl mission.patch

ren mission.orig mission.lvl

(hit ctrl-z) and press enter

I have seperated each command to show the people who don't understand file structures , they can be joined such as cd ..\.. but thats too confusing for non-dos people...

At least now there is a way you have a automatic batchfile for your patches...

I would like to see a front end one day to click if you want ewokkies , wooketts and jedi-pinkett-smiths!

UPDATE: I'm currently trying to make Ewok vs Empire more balanced. First up is giving the Ewoks better weapons - so far I have one class that has Rebel blaster and lightsabre, and another that has Imperial blaster and pistol. One interesting thing I found was with replacing the secondary 'throw' type weapon with a pistol - it creates a kind of instant switch that fires off a pistol round when you hit or tap the secondary fire button, a cool effect I thought. :)

The Ewoks still feel kinda weak, although in a game where I mostly sat back and watched, the Empire only won by 4 tickets, so it's just about right. A major problem is still the the name length of the various assets, this limits which weapons can be given to the Ewoks (whose asset names are usually short). I did try working through the file using the info on .lvl files (all 30 or so chunks, manually :( ) and correcting the references to chunk and file size to allow more bytes where I wanted them, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Archived