Home

POST Your Bugs Here! (2nd Demo)

Darth_Linux

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by fresco

EAX is disabled every time I start the demo.

This is not a bug, but a feature.

Since we had difficulties with some scripted cutscenes, we preferred to disable EAX in the demo.

Anyway we don't have the proper EAX files corresponding to the maps right now.

Perhaps we'll have them ready for the patch.

Originally posted by Sono

Hi!

I have a rather large bug to report...

I cant play the mod on my mac.

[...]

Anyone know what to do with this ?

Thanks for testing the game on Mac since we were not able to do so ourselves. :rolleyes:

Which language is your default JA language?

The Dark Forces Mod demo for JA currently supports only the following languages: English, French, German, Spanish and Polish.

So you might set JA to use English menu texts instead of your local one.

To do so, check the Setup -> Options.

You might PM me for more detailed support on this.

Originally posted by Tnarg

just registered to post because of this demo... damn, nice work.

Heh... thanks :)

Originally posted by Tnarg In the sewers map... I'm not sure where it is exactly, but there is a section where you are walking along a series of catwalks and there is a bunch of grans with grenads... well, one of these catwalks hangs of a pit and I accidently fell into said pit.

rather then dying like i should have, I kept getting hit with something, either there was a creature in the pit or a damage trigger was added so you die before you hit the bottom as you fall, but i hit the bottom and rather then taking damage, my health went up rather raidly to 999, it still showed the red marker thing on screen indicating i was taking damage, but my health was going up really REALLY fast.

Well, you died. But instead of landing in heaven, you fell down into hell.

The eternal damage pit ;)

Originally posted by Fracman

This is not a bug, but a feature.

Since we had difficulties with some scripted cutscenes, we preferred to disable EAX in the demo.

Anyway we don't have the proper EAX files corresponding to the maps right now.

Perhaps we'll have them ready for the patch.

Thanks for the info. I really hope it will be in the patch since it runs much smoother when EAX is enabled.

i dont know if this can be considered as a bug, but other than that the demo works perfectly after revoming all the .pk3 except the assests xP

map10.jpg

this is in the 2nd map

just say that the work is really good, the 3d movies and all, also i think that the movies has much low resolution than it should be

Originally posted by LightNinja

i dont know if this can be considered as a bug, but other than that the demo works perfectly after revoming all the .pk3 except the assests xP

Where did you install it?

And which kind of pk3 did you have before? Would be interesting to know some side effects...

Anyway we recommend a fresh & clean JA install :p

I'm unable to even get past Mon Mothman's initial briefing since all text and menu items seem to be "invisible." I can highlight the two items in the left hand bottom corner but clicking does nothing. Even the ESC key doesn't do anything. I have to bring up Task Manager to close out...

Looks just like Sono's Mac issue; except that I'm using XP!!!

Originally posted by Delmar

I'm unable to even get past Mon Mothman's initial briefing since all text and menu items seem to be "invisible." I can highlight the two items in the left hand bottom corner but clicking does nothing. Even the ESC key doesn't do anything. I have to bring up Task Manager to close out...

Looks just like Sono's Mac issue; except that I'm using XP!!!

That is what will happen if you do not load the MOD using the shortcut provided by the installer. You cannot load the mod by launching JA by itself then going to MODS in settings and launching it there otherwise you will get the menu issue. The game must be launched using the 'set +fs_game Dark' (I think that's it, I'm not at home to check) command because of settings needed in some configuration files. If you load the mod after starting JA, the configuation files use JA's default config settings and not our modified ones needed to get the menu's, and other game settings, working. That was the whole reason and purpose of having an installer rather than just releasing the .pk3s.

That is also why we don't officially support the Mac. I'm not sure how or if the set +fs_game setting works on a Mac but if you could find a way to launch the demo using that or an equivalent command it might work. If any Mac users have gotten the Mod to work please let us know! We have one team member who uses a Mac and I know he would love to play the demo on it!

Originally posted by Darth_Linux

I think your sound issues are related to your slow processor speed. When the CPU is maxed out, it starts stuttering on the sounds. the best suggestion I can give you is to lower the details levels in the game and see if that makes a difference.

I've already cranked down the resolution and that seems to help some, but the snap crackle pop happens all the time, even in the menus before you start playing (it's not stuttering that I'm hearing, it's digital distortion). :( My CPU is a 1.4 GHz Athlon, so I doubt that CPU speed is the problem. ;) I'm going to try a few things with the music itself to see if it really is the music being recorded too hot (it plays just fine when I play it through WinAmp, but I notice that the levels are all maxed out on the spectrum analyzer, especially on the mid to low end). I'll let you guys know what I find out. ;)

Shamus, CPU is not the problem in your case, you're right. I'm having only 1GHz CPU and no problems.

Make sure you do not have the digital output of your card enabled,

that all connectors are properly inserted in their plugs,

and possibly lower the overal volume of your sound card,

since we have raised the volume of the music in the mod's game configuration.

Originally posted by Benevolence

That is what will happen if you do not load the MOD using the shortcut provided by the installer. You cannot load the mod by launching JA by itself then going to MODS in settings and launching it there otherwise you will get the menu issue. The game must be launched using the 'set +fs_game Dark' (I think that's it, I'm not at home to check) command because of settings needed in some configuration files. If you load the mod after starting JA, the configuation files use JA's default config settings and not our modified ones needed to get the menu's, and other game settings, working. That was the whole reason and purpose of having an installer rather than just releasing the .pk3s.

That is also why we don't officially support the Mac. I'm not sure how or if the set +fs_game setting works on a Mac but if you could find a way to launch the demo using that or an equivalent command it might work. If any Mac users have gotten the Mod to work please let us know! We have one team member who uses a Mac and I know he would love to play the demo on it!

Thanks! Looks great, guys. Thanks for letting me re-live old memories...

Ahh I tried to add the seta fs_game "dark" line to the config file, but it doesent "stay" in.

So I tried bringing out the console from within the game and typing seta_fs game "dark" but I cannot do this, because the file is write protected :swear:

Darnit, why couldent you be happy with the existing Jedi Academy settings :)

What do I know? im a supid mac user that can only handle double click applications with my one button mouse ;)

No really, where do I type/place that line typing it in the console wont do, it says that jasp is an unkown command

Excellent MOD guys, jut a few notes. The The Secret Base level, the outdoor secret where the wall lowers to reveal two storm troopers and a door, it is possible to ride the wall up, walk around the lip at the top, and become trapped behind the three pipes near a group of crates.

It is possible to fire the weapons under water. In the games this is usually not allowed if I'm not mistaken.

In After the Massacre, when I found the Dark Trooper weapon, i heard Jan and Kyle communicating, I heard an Echo of the conversation.

Everything else i noticed has been coverd by other people.

Thanks for a great SP MOD!!

What do I know? im a supid mac user that can only handle double click applications with my one button mouse ;)

No really, where do I type/place that line typing it in the console wont do, it says that jasp is an unkown command

Sono....gotta question for ya'

How well do you know mac os? Do you know it well enough to create batch files for it?

The only reason I ask is that I created a batch file on my PC and tried it out and it is possible that you could create a simple batch file that will allow you to run the mod as if it was the shortcut itself. :)

I am still seeing if it possible to create a batch file in the mac os itself but I thought I would run that by you and see what you think :cool:

Any more info such as Mac os version you have would be helpful if would either PM or reply to the post so that I could do some research on this perticular problem that you are having and try to help ya out more if I can.

There is no stupid user, only stupid commands and unprecise help ;)

You have to find the shortcut or icon that starts JA. Is there one on your desktop?

Then duplicate this shortcut and edit its properties, the parameters to JASP.

Unfortunately i don't know anything at all about the Mac OS, so i can't even tell you what to look for.

Originally posted by Fracman

There is no stupid user, only stupid commands and unprecise help ;)

You have to find the shortcut or icon that starts JA. Is there one on your desktop?

Then duplicate this shortcut and edit its properties, the parameters to JASP.

Unfortunately i don't know anything at all about the Mac OS, so i can't even tell you what to look for.

I'm a mac user who's got the Dark forces mod demo to work. Hold down shift while double clicking the Jedi Academy application or single clicking the application in the dock. Type the "+set fs_game foldername" in the thing that comes up and hit ok.

[foldername is the name of the darkforces folder in Application Support/Jedi Academy]

(Very good job on the demo :D )

Hello

That's a very nice demo, really. Remember me my young time! ;)

OK that's all for the complimentary... No just kidding, but I rather like to give feedback about bugs I found.

I didn't finish the demo, blocked in ANOAT, I have to remember what to do. ;)

But, especially in Talay - after the massacre, the ghost of the stormtroopers are continueing speaking when they make one with the Force.

My configuration: XP2500+, 1GB Ram, GF4200, SBLive! 1024 or 5.1 don't remember, and EAX enabled.

So when I kill talking stormtrooper, they continue to speak.

On the other hand :

- I will agree with the others concerning the dianoga: it should be more stealthy, if it is possible: it is too easy to shoot at from far away.

- The enemies are dumb or I am very good (no, I don't think ;) ): on a pair of stormies shoot one, the other didn't even react or 3 hours later... OK, this point is Artificial Intelligence and is the hell to set properly if possible.

Now the worst: really good work guys! Especially when we know that you are less than 10 persons working on it, and for free! Hope I can help one day... ;)

Originally posted by redsaurus

I'm a mac user who's got the Dark forces mod demo to work. Hold down shift while double clicking the Jedi Academy application or single clicking the application in the dock. Type the "+set fs_game foldername" in the thing that comes up and hit ok.

[foldername is the name of the darkforces folder in Application Support/Jedi Academy]

It works!

Terrific!

Mod team: add that in your readme file :)

Originally posted by redsaurus

Redsaurus, many thanks for this valuable information :)

I ran the install program let it go to the default directory and used the shortcut but I just ge regular JA when I start up. I tried playing but I just went to yavin. I've tried fiddling with command lines moving files and loading in the mod in gam but nothing works. Umm...Help?

I dunno if if this is a bug or not, but I thought I'd throw this out there. In the sewers when you go into chute #1 (counted from left to right as you come into the room with the four switches) and go into the control room and press the switch that looks over the large room you need to cross, the room always fills up--no matter what the state of the other switches are in the other control rooms in the other chutes.

The other thing is even if you've flipped all the switches in the other rooms and then flip the one in chute #1 and see it fill the room, once you exit that area and go into chute #2 to the large room it's no longer flooded.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a scripting error to me. :p Also, the switches in the other rooms (other than the one in chute #1) don't let you turn them off once you activate them. Doesn't seem like much of a puzzle to me--but I could be missing something obvious. :)

Archived