Home

Windows Longhorn

MTV2

Originally posted by LightNinja

ahh!!!, you have make me remember when i installed serviec pack 2...

HA ! You actually tried to install it ! silly ! :p

*btw - WHO is on top of the spanish primera ?? hmmm *

yeah, I read up on sp2 and browsed forums, where 90% of ppl I encountered were saying "OMFG this SUX !" I also knew about the clashes it would be having with my Norton IS, so I didnt install it :D

mtfbwya

guess that is the advantage of waiting so long to get xp... mine came with sp2 included, so i don't know whether it messed anything up as i never had it without.

As far as i can tell microsoft spent the MSdos -> win98 years trying to add stuff to their operating systems to make them better. They have spent the win98 through to longhorn years trying to add stuff to windows to control the way you use it.

I kind of like to be able to decide how to use my own stuff. Pretty soon everything we "own" will be run through our PCs, and our pcs will control what we can do with it all. We won't own any of it...

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

I read that in order to have this, you'll need to have a good graphics card...

Okay, that's just stupid. You shouldn't need to upgrade your freaking graphics card to support your OS! What the hell? :eyeraise:

I'm not getting Longhorn, because it's going to have something installed that will completely take over what software you can use (Bill Gates? Hitler? Same people). This will cut down on pirated software, but it'll also not allow people to use open-source software or anything that's not on Microsoft's "approved software" list. How stupid is that?! I'll stick with XP SP2, thanks.

Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

I'm not getting Longhorn, because it's going to have something installed that will completely take over what software you can use (Bill Gates? Hitler? Same people). This will cut down on pirated software, but it'll also not allow people to use open-source software or anything that's not on Microsoft's "approved software" list. How stupid is that?! I'll stick with XP SP2, thanks.

first off, comparing Bill Gates to Hitler is ****ing retarded. Don't do it.

second, all that controlling what you can install... not gonna happen in longhorn because it's already happend. Installing XP you sign an agreement allowing microsoft to check your computer (for information gathering and the like ;) ).

* Consent to Use of Data.

You agree that Microsoft and its affiliates may collect and use technical information gathered in any manner as part of the product support services provided to you, if any, related to the Product. Microsoft may use this information solely to improve our products or to provide customized services or technologies to you.

Techinically, Gates is the dictator of the techonological world.

This will cut down on pirated software, but it'll also not allow people to use open-source software or anything that's not on Microsoft's "approved software" list.

An "approved software list." That means if Gates says I can't run HL2 or KOTOR2, or even Microsoft Word, then I can't.

Ok, so, the word dictator is a little harsh, but, you can clearly see what I mean in the point above.

I'll wait and see what people say about longhorn after its released. Most likley, if I get it, it will be preinstalled on a new computer in a few years. For now, XP SP1 is good enough.

well, MS just lost their appeal to the EU about using their wondows monopoly to include media player and create a monopoly on media players as well.

Whether this means they will have to unbundle media player from Longhorn i don't know...

They should go down the firefox route, make everything modular, and only install the basics, then allow extra "extensions" from microsoft or others to be added when extra functionality is needed.

----------------

It seems to me that it should be possible for non-3d applications to take advantage of some of the processing power of 3d cards. Often these cards have more processing power, memory (and cost more) thant he rest of the system, it seems that that shouldn't all go to waste when using non-3d applications.

It shouldn't be essential, but it would be nice if photoshop or word took advantage of any extra hardware when you had it anyway... using the memory for caching or something.

Archived