Home

The One Year Thread Redux

ouch missed a day. :D

eh got my paycheck on thursday...went and got a few items i needed....finally replaced my mach 3 turbo blade...been using the same one since like...september!

i waited forever cause it costs $8 to get 4 blades...well actually it's 12 blades (3 blades each...) but bleh! XD

Today went and got some CDR's so i can start burning some music.

Work is killing my hands. I have to make these cardboard boxes...all day. my thumb started to bleed. my fingers are all cracked and dry, and i have difficulty moving them in the morning. also my left wrist got messed up, feels like my hand is going to snap off when i do pushups, so i'm forced to stop cause of the pain. :( I think i have carpal tunnels.....aghghghgh

ordered some cds....Godsmack Faceless and The Other Side. I like that kind of music. Also ordered the new chevelle cd. should be here by monday since it didn't get here today.

My car is going to get repaired next week hopefully....the parts are gonna cost over $200....I've got enough to cover it. After car gets fixed, gonna take it to this place that sells and installs cd players, etc..and use the gift card i got for xmas and get a cd player installed, and i've got this old sub lying around that one of my buddies gave me, dunno if it works tho (didn't come with wires or anything)

I'm a bit undecided as to what to do regarding enlistment, considering my wrist is the way it is. =\ I'd like to enlist asap, but i dunno.

I finished the Republic Commando demo. It was pretty cool, I'd buy the full version if it was $30. -_-

I want to get Soldier of Fortune II, but haven't seen it in stores...i enjoyed playing that game cause of all the blood and gore and that shop level was fun in mp.

I'm planning on getting an eye exam within the month because my glasses keep wanting to fall off my face since i got my haircut. :rolleyes: Need to get some contacts.

I'm not looking foreward to getting my taxes done. -_-

edit: heh guess we didn't miss a day. just noticed ed's edit. XD

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

god i want to quit my job. i think i got stress fractures in my wrists. not having medical insurance sucks. OMG!!! I JUST LOOKED AT MY LEFT WRIST AND IT'S ****ING BLEEDING!!!!! :mad:

unsure if I'm going to transfer to the other place. I don't really want to, as that means more gas to pay for. :( And if my car decides to break down again, then I'm royally screwed up the nostrils.

My car is in the garage. Getting it fixed this week. ehehe can't wait to see the bill! next paycheck goes to rec center....working out with old people is fun. especially hogging the treadmill and being kicked off it. (happened to me twice before!) Also want to get a GOOD portable cd player that won't skip. (mp3 too expensive atm =\ )

Anyways....I really feel like going back to basic. I liked the breakfast and MREs. :D

I'm listening to breaking benjamin right now. pretty cool.

I might go on a mile-2 mile run/walk tomorrow if it's nice out. I haven't ran in a while.

Been working at this place since november....it's been about 4 months. =\

As for the girl...I don't even notice her anymore. I beat the crush. **** you cupid.

3/6/05

A pretty nothing day.

I played with my amps a little, trying different combinations of guitars, pedals, and rack effects with each amp to try and build a catalog of tones.

I broke my wah in the process. :(

As I was experimenting, I plugged in my wah, and noticed that it still has a little scratchiness at one end of the sweep. I tried cleaning the pot again... no dice. So I opened the thing up and pulled the pot out to really get at it. When I put it all back together and plugged it in it didn't work at all. Manipulating the pot I broke one of the wires off. Crap. And I don't have a soldering iron that works. I guess I can either:

a.) Bring it to work tomorrow and use the sodering iron there.

b.) Bring it to work tomorrow and take it over to the repair shop and let them do the soldering.

c.) Buy a decent soldering iron so that I don't ever have to think about these things in the future.

I think "c." is my best bet... I also have a stack of broken and crappy sounding cables that I should fix. I truely hate soldering though. I gave myself a nasty burn with one when I was a kid and I've never really gotten over it.

I should suck it up and do it though. It's pretty damn lame to be in my field and not own a soldering iron, and to be really crappy at doing it.

Funny you should mention that, ed... I was in Canadian Tire (take the manly parts of a Wal-Mart, add even more manly stuff, and you've got Canadian Tire) the other day, and I saw a "cold" soldering iron. It would superheat from room temp to soldering temp in a split second, then cool back down just as fast. They had a demo there, and you could honestly touch it, solder something, then touch it again a ahlf-second later. Granted, the tip's not exactly tiny, and I'm not sure if it comes in other sizes, but if I had a dollar (tax-free, of course :p) for every time I've nailed myself with a soldering iron, I could probably buy a palatial Hollywood estate, and still have enough leftover to hire Ron Jeremy to be my butler for a few years.

It's pretty damn lame to be in my field and not own a soldering iron, and to be really crappy at doing it.

Same here. Me + soldering iron = fatal injury. It should have been obvious what would happen if I ever used a soldering iron from the time I was in kindergarden. I couldn't color in the lines. I STILL can't color in the lines. And soldering is exactly like coloring exept that instead working with colorful wax, you're working with blistering hot liquid metal. You do the math.

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

Zarg, zarg, my man...I think we can work something out.

I'll give you 150 for it. But I only have two one-hundred dollar bills. So I'll tell you what. I'll give you a hundred. Good, good, now you give me two fifties. Right. Now you give me the car. Now I'll give you the other fifty. So now we're square...

hahaah riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I rev'd it to 8 grand on accident, but it tought me 2 things, it doesnt have built in fuel cut, and the belt on the water pump cannot take 8000 RPM's

I might have killed the water pump but havent had time to fix the belt and find out.

It hailed last night, that was really wierd, hail, and some light rain, no thunder or lightning.

The gf called me in tears b/c she said my cat ran away, found him 10 minutes later asleep in a very very cozy corner of the closet that she overlooked b/c she flipped out.

School is gay, and hard thanks to being really sick and missing 2 weeks of classes. But my teachers are so far really accomodating, except I havent talked to all of them yet

3/7/05

This wah pedal is really starting to piss the **** outta me! :mad:

I fixed the broken wire, but now the scratchyness is worse than ever. It was sounding great the other day... not a hint of the schatchy/ sloppy sound. What happened since then?!??

I have a different wah, but I really don't like the sound of that one nearly as much.

I should just replace the pot, but this thing started a couple of months after I bought it. It has to be dirt in there. It's now a matter of principles... I've never put that much wear on this thing... it shouldn't be in this bad of shape!

Went for a run/walk today, prolly 3 miles. it was really nice out, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow. :(

Watched Bourne Supremacy, awesome movie. :D I haven't read the books. Can't wait til the next one comes out. It really had me hooked to the screen, and lately movies just been boring the hell out of me. =\

My car is in the garage, dunno how much it's going to cost to get it fixed...I hope not too much....shouldn't be more than $300.

Got my cds before i left for work....Godsmack faceless, Godsmack the other side, Slipknot Volume 3 the subliminal verses, and chevelle this kind of thinking could do us in. Listening to slipknot right now.

Work was not painful today. Got out of doing that stupid listerine crap and we were packing these visine, benadryl, and sudafed things in display cases. easy work as it doesn't kill my wrists. hope it's not back to listerine tomorrow.

I can't wait to drive my own car again. I'm getting carelessly comfortable driving the truck. It's just bad when bikers decide they want you to share the road with them, well....i don't take that ****...held the horn down for a good amount of time as i was going behind this asshole that wasn't sharing. i would have hit him, but there was a cop nearby. ;)

uhm. I really need to get contacts. These glasses are almost as bad as the ones i had to wear at basic. (as in uncomforable to wear)

Read the Bourne books as well. They're also great!

The beautiful thing is that the books and the movies have very little in common, other than the titles, some of the characters, a few plot points (like his amnesia,) and one or 2 somewhat similar situations, so you'll never be spoiled by reading the books first. They're almost completely different stories. For example, the book version of Supremacy takes place excusively in Hong Kong and mainland China. And his reasons for being there are almost totally different.

I'm listening to the new chevelle cd right now. It's good! :D

Looked outside and it's snowing. figures. yesterday it was in the mid 60's...I am sick of winter.

I'm currently doing my laundry. Over a week's worth of clothes. :D Hopefully the washer doesn't overflow like it did a few weeks ago.

My left wrist is healing up. I can make it crack and it doesn't hurt. not healed enough to do a pushup without some pain though.

March 8, 2005

I've been working with a Data Managment and Software Development company since January. I really enjoy it. My contract ends on April and it will be back to school on May. I've learnt a lot of interesting stuff and am satisfied with the experience.

Tomorrow my sister and her big big family arrive from Malaysia. I'm very excited and happy about this.

I've also planned a 3 week trip to London, England to visit my other sister who will give birth to her second child. On my way there, I will make a small detour to Marseille, France, so that I can see some good friends of mine.

I've started Kendo yesterday and I really love it, looking forward to my next class.

Current thoughts: I need to stop wasting time and study. There's so much things out there to be learnt.

3/8/05

An easy show last night. It was all setup and soundchecked by the other engineer the day before, so all I had to do was show up and turn the power on and ride faders during the show, then stick around and tear down. In fact, it was only hampered by the fact that they had to go and add a clinic on stage in the afternoon, wich meant we had to move a bunch of the stuff that was already set up just for that.

Nasty weather again last night. Ugh. Getting home was a challenge. Nothing was cancelled today, though. It's midterms, so they're gonna be real reluctant to cancel anything this week, no matter how bad it gets.

Gotta get bundled up and get out there to clean-up, yet again! I'm soooo sick of this!

So here's another sound guy question for edlib! (Or anyone else with experience in these areas).

I have decided to invest in a good studio microphone. Do I need a preamp? The ones in my digital mixer/recorder seem fine, have good EQ and all that, but will a nice preamp (one with tubes, I guess) make a big difference?

Outboard gear (I.E. preamps, EQs, compressors, gates, etc...) generally sound better than the ones in the board. Higher quality components, much more careful wiring, better specs, less noise and/or distortion and so on than can be included in the channel strip of an all-in-one mixing board.

Even studios with top-o'-th'-line boards often have a selection of outboard processing, because it sounds better,.. or sometimes just different.

Do you need the higher quality of a dedicated preamp is a decision you are going to have make. For demo and personal use projects the built-in pres and EQs are most likely just fine.

If you are recording for any kind of commercial release, or recording projects for other artists, then having a pretty good pre or 2 might go a long way.

Hearing the difference between pres is a pretty subtle art. In some cases theres almost no difference that you can actually describe... it's more something you feel. And not every pre is going to sound great on every mic either. And it depends what you are actually listening on as well. On a pair of tiny computer speakers the differences between pres is going to get totally lost. And if you are saving to a compressed format (MP3) then the subtle differences will get lost even further.

And another thing to consider: in a blind listening test with a bunch of super-pro sound engineers of the same sound recorded through the same mic but through different preamps, about half of the pro guys chose stock Mackie preamps as the best sounding ones. So there ya go. It's all subjective.

My professional opinion: Buy the mic first. Run it through the board for a while. Like the sound? Keep it that way.

If you think it could sound smoother or more "open"? Start auditioning pres. Try to check them in your recording environment. Perhaps rent one you are thinking about buying for a weekend and do some recording with it and see how it sounds with your gear. Make some notes, then get your hands on a different one the next weekend and do the same.

When you hear the one, you'll know it. Go by the sound of it, and not the specs. Some of the best-sounding gear I have come across over the years has had some of the worst specs on paper... but if it sounds great don't worry about what it says on paper. Or the price. Being expensive doesn't automatically mean it's a better unit than some cheaper gear.

Hm, OK thanks.

I was just thinking that I have to buy a phantom power source anyway, and those are often included in the preamps. But I guess a power source won't cost that much, and if I wind up not using it later because I went with a preamp, well, who cares. A good preamp looks like it costs a few bucks, so might as well not pop for it unless I find my setup lacking.

A wealth of information you are!

Well... on certain subjects. ;)

I wasn't sure if your board had phantom. That changes things a bit.

We have a couple of the ART tube pres ( http://www.artproaudio.com/ ) at work for our recording rigs, and they sound pretty nice and are relatively cheap, and will also do the phantom. If it came down to getting just a phantom supply, or one of those for a couple of bucks more, then I would go for the extra features of the pre.

We have the stereo models, but you could probably go for the Tube MP mono model if you only have the one mic.

Sometimes it seems whenever I leaf through one of the latest pro-sound mags I subscribe to that the recording world has become Pre-Amp crazy. With the advent of small, cheap mixers, Pro-Tools and digital recording the preamp became the most important part of the signal chain suddenly for some reason. Never mind the fact that 90% of the recordings made before 10 years ago you listen to were probably recorded using the preamps of whatever board happened to be available.

There was a whole lot of voodoo surrounding tubes and "warming" up digital tracks, and that started EVERYBODY pitching thier preamps as sounding worlds better than any of the alternatives... whereas I honestly don't believe many people could really hear the differences between them, even under the best possible conditions.

Personally, I think it's a bit of overkill, most likely promoted by equipment manufacturers who want to push new flashy gear on us.

Granted, many of the preamps do sound really good, (especially the mega-buck ones,) and if I had the budget to build a killer studio I would probably own a whole bunch of them... but if you are just starting out it's probably something that can wait a bit.

Originally posted by edlib

Well... on certain subjects. ;)

I wasn't sure if your board had phantom. That changes things a bit.

We have a couple of the ART tube pres ( http://www.artproaudio.com/ ) at work for our recording rigs, and they sound pretty nice and are relatively cheap, and will also do the phantom.

As a matter of fact it was the ART Pro Channel that I was considering.

That's a nice choice. Has a lot of nice features (EQ, comp/ limiter.)

But: See if you can try one out first, just to be sure you like it with your mic and the rest of your rig. Between a decent mic (going with the KSM?) and the Pro Channel that's becoming a somewhat serious investment.

I'm sure you'll like it and probably be happy with it,.. but I just want to make sure you aren't gonna put yourself into debt by buying more than you need right off the bat for something that might sound "a little better" than what you already have now.

Plus, tube pres do have a sound to them that might not be exactly what you want/ need. Be sure it's what you really want.

Because I care. :)

Archived