Mav's WIP for TSL

Mav

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Killer saber Mav (and nice map too)!

Keep up the great work!

Also, are you using PhotoShop or PSP?

For Photoshop, you can download tons of custom shapes (many tribal and celtic). Using those are nice as they are vectored and can be scaled, made into paths / selections etc.

http://share.studio.adobe.com/

Click the Photshop drop-down and choose what you're looking for :D

For PSP, I believe they use what they call "Tubes" which is similiar in style and function (though I'm really out of tune with the prog)... they may have a 'shapes' tool as well however...

Thanks for all the support everyone, and I use Photoshop ChAiNz so I'll definetly check out that site, thanks for the tip, as soon as I get my TSL character, back to getting his lightsaber, I'll get some ingame screens for you all. I don't know whether to release it as a stand alone, or to build a short saber model and a doublesaber model to go with it, I guess we'll just have to see. Thanks for all the comments. ;)

Originally posted by maverick187

Thanks for all the support everyone, and I use Photoshop ChAiNz so I'll definetly check out that site, thanks for the tip, as soon as I get my TSL character, back to getting his lightsaber, I'll get some ingame screens for you all. I don't know whether to release it as a stand alone, or to build a short saber model and a doublesaber model to go with it, I guess we'll just have to see. Thanks for all the comments. ;)

If anybody deserves a double saber model to go with another model first from the MAV I think it should be ->ME<-. :p

DK, give me until Sunday maybe and your's should be finished, don't worry I didn't forget about you ;).

Ok now for a small request, it's time to play the name game, come up with a name for the saber, and if I choose it you will win..... an acknowledgement in my readme file yaaayyyyy.

Excellent saber mav your getting better with each model , Great job on your uv map. Just a word of caution: you should try to leave at least 2 or 3 pixels of colour around each uv piece for insurance sake and try not to get any uv’s any closer to the edge then 4 to 5 pixels.

Also don’t convert to tri mesh via nwmax keep you saber in quads it makes for a much cleaner uv map just make sure to drop that AuroraTrimesh on the hilt before exporting ;)

Keep it up !

svösh

DK, give me until Sunday maybe and your's should be finished, don't worry I didn't forget about you ;).

Ok now for a small request, it's time to play the name game, come up with a name for the saber, and if I choose it you will win..... an acknowledgement in my readme file yaaayyyyy.

Heh I will think of one! Just need to eat dinner first lol.

Well I have been thinking of a couple names so here they are:

Chaotic Saber or Saber of Dark Chaos

Sky Fang

Ragnarok

Odyssey

Ancient Saber

Masamune

Indus

Scorpion

Those are just a few, I can probably think of more but let me know if you like any there if not then I will think of some more.

thanks for the tips svösh, and keep 'em coming Shadow Blaze :D

A few modeling questions though, if I resize the saber in gmax after I uvmap it and apply the texture would that cause the texture to look funky in-game? Also for making doublesabers, I usually just make a single hilt then mirror and clone it to make the other side and then just attach the two, but is it possible to make the Uvmap for the single hilt and then just mirror that UVmap for the other side of the double hilt? Thanks in advance.

In-game screenies coming soon,

Mav

but is it possible to make the Uvmap for the single hilt and then just mirror that UVmap for the other side of the double hilt?

svösh helped me out with this idea with my BA-122 sabers. ;)

If you've detached the faces and built your single hilt UVmap. Then mirror (as copy) and attach your 2 ends, they (UV coordinates) 'stack' :D I didn't have to do a thing to my UV... (woohoo)...

single hilt UV = doublesaber sweetness

I was so hoping that you would pick one of those but oh well now let's see...

Dragon Slayer

Megido

Fire Brand

Blaze (sorry had to try at least lol)

Musashi

Apocalypse

Corsair Edge

Muramasa

Levatine

Excalibur (just throwing that out there)

Viper (could name a double blade twin viper)

Tsunami

Buster

Conformer

Force Stealer

Hawkeye

Einlancer

I hope you like one of those but I will try to think of more names just in case.

That's it Shadow Blaze is a name machine, I like Megido too, Congrats you won the contest lol, :lol:, Oh and DK you can expect some e-mails and/or PMs in the next few days ;)

Yeah I won the contest! Too bad there wasn't much competition lol. Heh, name machine, lol never been called that before. Any chance I could get one of the sabers like Darkkender?

Update

Here is a little in-game collage type thing, and the release date is not set because I have decided to make a double saber hilt for it and the short saber hilt will be the same hilt, just on a short saber. Anway on to the screenie:

In-game Teaser - 122kb

@ Shadow Blaze

Thanks for the name ;), and you can download it when its avaliable, but I'm building a doublesaber hilt for Darkkender, for one of his mods, I don't even know what it is really.... lol

Originally posted by Shadow Blaze

Yeah I won the contest! Too bad there wasn't much competition lol. Heh, name machine, lol never been called that before. Any chance I could get one of the sabers like Darkkender?

Well the one I'm getting is for a team effort mod project I was just razing mav a wee bit.

@ Shadow Blaze

Thanks for the name ;), and you can download it when its avaliable, but I'm building a doublesaber hilt for Darkkender, for one of his mods, I don't even know what it is really.... lol

Ok I can wait... Besides you have the in-game model done so it shouldn't be too awful long lol. And considering the other little shortcut that ChAiNz.2da told you about for the double saber that shouldn't slow it down a lot either. Can't wait for it maverick! It looks GOOD!

Update

Here is a little in-game collage type thing, and the release date is not set because I have decided to make a double saber hilt for it and the short saber hilt will be the same hilt, just on a short saber. Anway on to the screenie:

In-game Teaser - 122kb

@ Shadow Blaze

To quote Tim Allen, "Argh, Argh, Arghh"!

Originally posted by Shadow Blaze

Maverick maybe you can help me on this... How exactly do you get the curve on the hilt? I have been wondering this for a while and haven't figured it out in gmax yet.

Well I'm going to assume that you've read and followed T7's awesome saber modeling tutorial, and that you've built at least 1 or 2 "straight" sabers. Once you get your basic saber converted to an editable mesh, then what I do is just make an extrude .5-1 cm and then click the polygon node under the editble mesh node and select the polygon on the bottom, your octagon end piece if you will. Then rotate it along one coordinate (x, y, or z) it depends on how you are viewing it preferably from the left or right. The less of an angle you rotate the more extrudes you will need the more polys your model will be, anyway after you rotate it move it using so that the thickness of that section matches the rest of your hilt, rinse and repeat ;). Note that the more extrudes you use the more detail your hilt will be, but the more polys it will have, I managed to only extrude 3 times on teh curve in the hilt above and my poly count is around 450+, Happy modeling :D

Mav

Yeah I did read T7's guide. But for some reason the hilt I made always has the PC grabbing on to the very bottom of it. But maybe when I make my next model that won't happen:D . Well I think I will try it out tomorrow. The thing I am not looking forward to however is creating the new texture for it. I mean I can skin the already in game sabers but I know skinning the user created models must be different. Well if I don't figure it out you or ChAiNz.2da will probably be helping me.

And I have a feeling if that happens then I will see a lot of :headbump in my future.

Hey getting the curve in isn't that hard at all! It only needed about 4 extrudes to get it in:D. Thanks for the help maverick!

EDIT: Ah that sucks.... Something went wrong loading the file I saved so I had to redo the curve and now I don't know how many extrudes I used:(

AHHHH!!!! UVW mapping nightmare. Well maverick looks like I have another question... Well actually a couple questions. 1. What type of UVW map object do you use on curved hilts?(cylindrical, sphere, box, etc) 2. Do you usually map each seperately and 3. Do you usually try to remain as close as in the cylinder as possible when doing curved hilts?

Well basically I have a uv map that well here is a screenshot so you get the picture...

http://img161.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img161&image=image232qt.png

I have done UVW mapping before in the tutorial with good success but here, I am confused.

Archived