Home

Say hello to Pope Benedict XVI.

IG-64

On the other hand, if Ratzinger (as Benedict XVI) is really as ultra-conservative as his critics claim, I wonder if this means it'll attract the dissident "Traditionalists" back to the fold?

I guess if Mel Gibson comes back, that'll be a pretty good sign... ;)

Originally posted by ZBomber

I don't think the next Pope will be like this. Or atleast, I hope not.

Are you referring to the Malachy prophecy? If it is literally true, then the world doesn't have much time left (considering how old the current Pope is). It'll all be over in 50 years or less (JP2 ruled for 26 years, the Pope before him lasted a little over a month)! But there's some doubt as to the authenticity of the prophecy. I guess it's up to you to decide what you believe...

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

Still, I wonder why the cardinals appointed a relatively old person (the guy's 78 years old) to the position. It won't be long before they'll have to appoint another pope. Of course, maybe they just wanted a transitional pope, somebody to hold down the fort for a little while until another one is appointed.

Or they have gotten used to having a pope that was old and imobilised for a long time, and wanted another one... so they could run things themselves...

It was pretty clear that whoever got elected was going to be hard line... but since i already disliked the last pope for being too hardline, i won't say what i think about the new pope... :D

Originally posted by ZBomber

Yeh, it was giving info about the XV, I was actually about to send a letter of complaint to the site. :p

But yeh, he's against modernization of the church, and I think that's bad for everyone. The church needs to get the kids involved, a lot of the other sections of Christianity (like Baptists) have the kids involved in a lot of church activities. I think the Roman Catholic church needs that too.

Well said ;).

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Pope Benedict XVI...

Sorry, but that just sounds like something that should be on the breakfast menu next to Belgian Waffles, at any given local diner.

*runs off dodging tomatoes and rotten veggies from the catholics*

Don't worry, I don't think any of us Catholic in this thread diasgree with you. ;)

I don't know a lot about this new Pope, but I don't really like him. I guess I am just too used to John Paul II. I heard this dude is a Pope who likes it old school. If that's the case I'm going goth. Goth + Catholic = Gotholic :p Oh yea I know how to add words. Now I just need to work on my math. :eek:

Originally posted by Darth Tepe

Hmh... I'll be waiting for Pope Dave I :D

Wouldn't it be fun to have the messenger of god named Dave?

God, I love being an atheist... :rolleyes:

:lol:...you can still be a christian and not give a care about that pope...what is with those "special holy" names anyway...just a bunch of bull.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Are you referring to the Malachy prophecy? If it is literally true, then the world doesn't have much time left (considering how old the current Pope is). It'll all be over in 50 years or less (JP2 ruled for 26 years, the Pope before him lasted a little over a month)! But there's some doubt as to the authenticity of the prophecy. I guess it's up to you to decide what you believe...

Yah, doesn't look good, cause the next step has something to do with St. Benadict, and Olives?

Next stop, apperently Satan!

http://www.crystalinks.com/papalprophecies.html

Look at the bottom of the page, the newb is old and might die soon. *BUM BUM BUM!!*

Originally posted by VikingLarz

Goth + Catholic = Gotholic :p

Oo, I got ones,

Goth + Catholic + Alcoholic = Gothacothaholic :p

TiE

Originally posted by Pie™

You have no idea how nasty that sounds in my mind. :eek:

Then you have a nasty mind.:xp:

Goth + Catholic + Alcoholic = Gothacothaholic

It appears that I'm not the only one who can add letters here.

I dunno what kind of coverage he's been getting in the press abroad, but over here it's been mostly skeptical/negative... talking about him being hardline, or his past, or that he might split the church.

Not a good start, he's gonna have to work some to get liked i think.

I saw a funny interview with a cardial who said something like: "We cannot apply the matrix of past actions to the future reality of his new role". :D

Love it that cardinals talk like politicians! :D

WASHINGTON -- German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, played an indirect role in the 2004 U.S. campaign when he directed Catholic bishops to deny Communion to abortion rights supporters such as Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

But Kerry, a lifelong Catholic and former altar boy, declined to criticize the new pontiff Wednesday.

"The election of a new pope is a great moment of hope, renewal and possibility for the Catholic Church," Kerry said in a statement.

Ratzinger, head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, wrote a letter last June to U.S. bishops stating that Catholics who support abortion rights are guilty of a "grave sin" and are unworthy of Communion.

Although he did not mention Kerry or any other person by name, it was widely viewed that he was referring to Kerry when he said the sacrament should be denied in "the case of a Catholic politician consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws."

Further, his letter said any Catholic who votes for such a candidate is likewise "unworthy."

However, "Not all moral issues have the same moral weight as abortion and euthanasia," Ratzinger wrote. Disagreeing with the pope "on the application of capital punishment or on the decision to wage war" would not make someone unworthy to receive Communion.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived