Home

Psychonauts Explorer 1.2 Released!

A program to extract, view and convert resources from the excellent game Psychonauts.

New in version 1.2

• Added:
  • File search tool.
  • Partial (and experimental) support for the PS2 version.

Fixes:
  • File dumping has been completely overhauled - now files never get overwritten.
  • Better handling of duplicate files within archives.
  • Xbox version - a few image files were listed as tga so couldnt be viewed.
  • PC Demo Version - In the .pkg file some file types were incorrectly recognised.
  • Image previews are now larger and proportional to the window size.
  • Renamed the level models and added the correct file extension.

Cosmetic changes:
  • New program icon.
  • Added icons for all filetypes.
  • Filetype icons now shown in the view menu.
  • Some other minor cosmetic changes.

PS2 support is only partial, around half the files are displayed and it may not work with some versions of the game. If you want full PS2 support see this post.

Some of the things that you can do with the latest version of Psychonauts Explorer:

• Open and dump files from all Psychonauts archives.
  • Display a preview of (dds) images.
  • Save images as JPEG, BMP or PNG.
  • Resize and apply a resampling filter to images.
  • Extract and save music and speech as wav and ogg files.
  • Use the PC, XBox and PS2 versions of Psychonauts.
  • View the contents of many other Psychonauts files.

PsychonautsExplorerSmall.gif

Download here

View the readme/help here

I *think* that the level (map) is the last file in each .ppf archive. As regards models John_Doe is currently working on a way to view them. He's also made a new decoder that dumps Xbox ADPCM files to normal .wav. This means that the next release of Psychonauts Explorer wont require the Xbox codec anymore :)

It's been brought to my attention that the current release of Psychonauts Explorer doesnt work correctly with the Xbox version - specifically the .ppf and .pkg files. This was due to a silly mistake on my part.

If you want to use Psychonauts Explorer with Psychonauts for Xbox you should download and use this fixed version.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It's been brought to my attention that the current release of Psychonauts Explorer doesnt work correctly with the Xbox version - specifically the .ppf and .pkg files. This was due to a silly mistake on my part.

If you want to use Psychonauts Explorer with Psychonauts for Xbox you should download and use this fixed version.

Now I know why my Psychonauts Explorer wasn't working.

When a version comes out, will it be a whole new file to download, and we will have two different Psychonauts Explorer? Or will it simply overlap with the already existing one.

Archived