Home

PDF Readme Files!?!?!

The Source

PDF Readme Files!?!?!

I was wondering if making my 'Readme' file into a PDF will create a problem. At the moment, 'The Dark Apprentice' readme is two pages long... If I can use the editing tools in Microsoft Word, people would be able to see the topics. Does anyone think this is a bad idea??

The only problem I could see in making it a PDF would be that some don't have adobe...so definately post a link to it when the mod is released...Other than that, I don't know why it would be a problem.

Originally posted by DarthMoeller

The only problem I could see in making it a PDF would be that some don't have adobe...so definately post a link to it when the mod is released...Other than that, I don't know why it would be a problem.

I think I will drop it into the .zip file, and I will add one that is just a standard .doc file for those who don't have Acrobat.

The only reason I wind up still using .txt versions is that's what KMM searches for when using it (also must begin with "readme")... though there's no rule saying you can't put what you want in there... I've recently started using .rtf files with stoffe's Patcher so that the installer will display the readme when users go to install it....

DarthMoeller is right however. Not many people actively go and install Adobe Reader unless a prior game of their's has done it for them, or they're fanatics of Adobe's software (ie - me ;) )....

Darth333's idea on HTML is a great idea if you're wanting an 'interactive' type readme where users could click a link in a table of contents and have it take them to where they want to go... Everyone has a browser :)

even though .pdf's have the same ability ;)

If you're familiar with HTML, just use < a name= ###> tags and you're set :D

Originally posted by Darth333

You know , there's another practical format to which everyone has access: HTML ;) that's what I used in the All-In-One force power mod for Kotor 1. And you can add links so people don't have to scroll through the entire document.

That is a good idea, and I have been toying with the idea of doing it that way for my Republic Commando mod...

And ChAiNz.2da, great avatar. Are you really the Laughing Man? ;)

Originally posted by Prime

And ChAiNz.2da, great avatar. Are you really the Laughing Man? ;)

huh? what are you talking about? my avatar is fine... have your eyes been hacked? ;)

thanks! I love the Ghost In The Shell anime (standalone complex)... and always thought the Laughing Man's trademark was great. If only I were the Laughing Man.. that'd be fun :dev11:

If some of you are not familiar with HTML and don't want to download the AIOFPM for Kotor 1 mod, I am attaching the readme so you can use it as a sample. I made it quite simple and practical (I think), nothing fancy.

Edit: moving to Holowan: I think this thread will be of more interest over there.

Am I familiar with HTML? Lol.... :p

You do know you are talking to a graphic designer? Right!?!?

Just Kidding!

I have about 14 websites online, two I administer to weekly. I used to run the Enterprise Newspapers & Buzz Newspapers websites on top of ad design... lol...

At the beginning of September, I will be opening up two personal sites: One for SciFi/Moding and the other for Portfolio purposes..

Does this answer your question... lol... heheheh...

I have every known highend Graphic Design program known:

Quark, Adobe CS, AdForce, etc... lol.... hehehehe.... :p

Oh, I am just playing with you people... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

When it comes to HTML, PDF, or text files, I will probally go with HTML and/or text files. But thank you for the feedback...

Well I see a problem with .pdf in the sense that I guess some would not have adobe reader installed. No idea how they get through the internet though without a .pdf since there's TONS of stuff that is in .pdf format. (I'd say if you don't have it slap yourself and get it already)

I personally would PREFER .pdf readme's cause you can put pics in them if need be.

My vote however would be follow what Darth333 suggested .html (or the like ;)) would be the best approach.

My Two Bits,

DM

Archived