Home

Combat Arena (WIP?)

stoffe

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The turrets games are still to hard I can destroy 1 or 2 enemies and then game over for me.

The turret practice starts with the cockpit on fire, and it finishes within 5 seconds.

Hmm, I think this depends on the module loading time, i.e. how fast your computer is. The enemy fighters likely begin attacking before you have been fully loaded and is in control. I'll see if I can throw in a few seconds of invulnerability or something at the beginning to make the first attack wave more survivable.

Some people I could fight via console didn't attack me, but I think that's because of another mod cause it only happens with the characters I have mods of that changes them.

Which enemies, more specifically?

2) The air defence mini game script doesn't fire at all.

Hmm, strange, never experienced that problem. I'll have to test it again, might be some last minute change I've made that has messed up that script somehow.

I hope you keep Malak to basic attacks since he has no annimations with critical strike, flurry, and power attack, unless you use the Jedi Malak version, which that one only has power attack. ;)

I had to use the Malak model with the jaw intact, the Darth Malak model just is missing too many animations in TSL to be useful even with only standard attacks. Looks like the Jawed Malak is missing a fair bunch of animations as well for some reason (sloppy since it's used in the game), but not quite so many so he's more manageable.

Malak is mostly a melee brawler who does insane damage with a lightsaber, and uses some lightning and immunity every now and then. Revan is more of a bag of tricks with a variety of force powers and 3 scripted special abilities. They complement each other fairly well if you are powerful enough to take on both at once, IMHO. :)

Hey Stoffe :D

Came back to the thread only to find your now a moderator. GONGRATS :D

The combat arena is my favorite aspect of KII now so I'm glad your still going with the W.I.P. on it.

Again congrats and keep rockin'

:ben:

General Kenobi

EDIT: Stoffe, I did have one question about the camera angles when watching a match. Is it possible to assign a "next angle view" or the like onto say the left and right arrow keys or the like? That way if your watching say the sith lords fight the jedi counsil and they step off you could hit an arrow key and switch to the next view. Just curious. ;)

Disregard what I said before, I think I have worked out where the problem is.

Let me go into a little more detail.

The turret games themselves are sorted BUT... once either of the turret games finishes, it destroys one of your scripts (or all of your dialog files) and I then can't speak to anyone (or anything) inside the module with that character. This agravates me to no end because I just deleted my autosave thinking things were okay, so my only character's only save is in the combat arena with no dialog files XD (my party members dialogs still work fine, and also the combat simulator armband no longer works*)

*It tries to load a blank module and then the game shuts down.

It is not that I installed incorrectly, because I used TSL Patcher and no other mods conflicted with previous versions either. I don't have the slightest idea which script is screwed, but help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I dont understand why st_arena.mod works but st_arena2.mod doesn't. Am I not supposed to be able to access one of them?

(snip)

*It tries to load a blank module and then the game shuts down.

(snip)

EDIT: I dont understand why st_arena.mod works but st_arena2.mod doesn't. Am I not supposed to be able to access one of them?

I think I have found the bug responsible for that. Seems like I forgot to change the name of the area in a few scripts. :roleyess:

I renamed the arena module from st_arena to st_arena2 in order to be able to make all changes take effect in games already in progress, and allow cleaning out old data from the savegame. But it might help to remember to change the name everywhere. :)

st_arena.mod is the old module file from version 3 and should no longer be used in version 4. The module used for version 4 is found in st_arena2.rim.

I'll make sure to fix this for the next update, along with the problem with the initial attack wave in the turret games.

Came back to the thread only to find your now a moderator. GONGRATS :D

(snip)

I did have one question about the camera angles when watching a match. Is it possible to assign a "next angle view" or the like onto say the left and right arrow keys or the like? That way if your watching say the sith lords fight the jedi council and they step off you could hit an arrow key and switch to the next view.

Thanks. :)

Hmm, while I don't think you can assign hotkeys like that, I could add a reply at the top of the camera selector dialog where you activate the next camera in sequence. Then you could press Enter to exit the camera and then 1 to activate then next.

Deleted the other mod and now they attack normally.

Odd, what kind of mod was that? All of the arena combatants use module-specific templates and module-specific AI scripts. Unless someone has named the files of their mod exactly the same other mods should not affect how the arena battles work.

The turret games themselves are sorted BUT... once either of the turret games finishes, it destroys one of your scripts (or all of your dialog files) and I then can't speak to anyone (or anything) inside the module with that character.

I've now uploaded a new WIP version here which should have the turret problems fixed. Dialog and scripts should now fire correctly after returning from the turret games.

I also added 10 seconds of invulnerability at the start of both turret games so you have some time to get your bearings before being blown to bits. :)

Stoffe, everything I mentioned in previous posts is fixed, and I can experience the true magesty of this uber mod :D

Is this built to be compatible with the HLFP mod? Because when I return from a turret game, I get a message pop up on screen with the description of Force Contagan (Contegin, Contagent? Something like that... the poison one). This doesn't stop the mod being enjoyable, I was just wondering why it's happening.

Sorry for picking holes in your great mod stoffe.

Is this built to be compatible with the HLFP mod? Because when I return from a turret game, I get a message pop up on screen with the description of Force Contagan (Contegin, Contagent? Something like that... the poison one). This doesn't stop the mod being enjoyable, I was just wondering why it's happening.

Hmm, you mean the floating text bubble when you return from the turret? It should say something like "6 of 6 enemy fighters destroyed, you are victorious". If it does not it seems like the mod is not installed properly. Did you run the Installer EXE, and did you get any errors or warnings during installation? The text floaties requires a new entry added to the dialog.tlk file, and a whole bunch of scripts recompiled to point to the proper StrRef. The installer should handle that automatically.

Since the same function is used for all the floating text bubbles you shouldn't just get errors there if you do get them. All the floaties announcing the start and end of matches, winning team in spectator games, the timer in Defend games, remaining enemies in Ladder and Gauntlet games etc should be messed up as well.

If all those other messages show as they should, and only the turret return message is messed up, check that you don't have a script called st_onenterarena.ncs in your override folder. If there is one, delete it (and consider me confused as to how it ended up there).

As for compatibility, the mods shouldn't interfere with eachother, but the Arena AI don't use any high level powers (yet). The HLFP mod should work for use by the Exile (and your party members if you have the Improved AI mod I made installed as well).

I'm looking into all of the points you made now. Will post back in a few minutes.

EDIT: Okay, every single message that appears in a popup becomes the description for force conta... (i'm not even gonna try this time :D ). I'll have a look at my .tlk file to see if I can fix any problems myself.

EDIT2: Okay, strings 136365 and 136380 are both pointing to the Contagen description. Does it matter that I installed V3, then V4, then V4.2 without installing previous versions? If so, then there's really nothing I can do because I have SO MANY mods installed that it won't be of any use rooting through all the crap.

EDIT3: I understand you must really hate me for this, but the only battletype that will fire is "Watch A Fight", all of the others, the door opens, but when I stand in the middle, nothing happens. Is it because the script is attached to the strings that I'm incedentally not getting access to?

EDIT2: Okay, strings 136365 and 136380 are both pointing to the Contagen description. Does it matter that I installed V3, then V4, then V4.2 without installing previous versions? If so, then there's really nothing I can do because I have SO MANY mods installed that it won't be of any use rooting through all the crap.

Did you install any other mods after installing CSA4 wip 2, or have you modified the dialog.tlk file at all? Do you have multiple copies of dialog.tlk? Did you install directly into your game's folder or another temp folder first? I need to know if this is caused by something else, or if there is a major malfunction with the installer.

Could you please have a look inside your dialog.tlk file and see if there is an entry containing the text <CUSTOM1230> and another one containing the text Combat Simulation Arena. If not, something has gone wrong during installation, since those two entries should have been added.

If they do exist, could you find the changes.ini file inside the tslpatchdata folder where the CSA4wip2 installer is, and open this file with notepad. Change the key SaveProcessedScripts from 0 to 1, save the change, then run the installer again and proceed with installation. (This shouldn't cause any trouble other than you'll get a warning message that a texture file already exists from the prior installation, but that isn't a real problem).

After installation has completed (hopefully) successfully, find a new folder called debug which should have been created inside the tslpatchdata folder. This should now contain copies of all script source code the installer has processed. Find the file st_inc_arena.nss inside the debug folder and open it with a text editor. Find the constant declaration ST_G_BARKSTRREF near the top, and see what number is assigned to it. It'll look something like:

const int ST_G_BARKSTRREF	 = 136384;

That number should be the dialog.tlk StrRef to the entry containing the string <CUSTOM1230>. If it does not, when something weird has happened.

If anyone else has tested this mod, do you experience similar problems, or does the text in the floating boxes show up properly?

Did you install any other mods after installing CSA4 wip 2, or have you modified the dialog.tlk file at all? Do you have multiple copies of dialog.tlk? Did you install directly into your game's folder or another temp folder first? I need to know if this is caused by something else, or if there is a major malfunction with the installer.

No, No, No, Temp Folder.

Could you please have a look inside your dialog.tlk file and see if there is an entry containing the text <CUSTOM1230> and another one containing the text Combat Simulation Arena. If not, something has gone wrong during installation, since those two entries should have been added.

136394 > <CUSTOM1230>

136395 > Combat Simulation Arena

If they do exist, could you find the changes.ini file inside the tslpatchdata folder where the CSA4wip2 installer is, and open this file with notepad. Change the key SaveProcessedScripts from 0 to 1, save the change, then run the installer again and proceed with installation. (This shouldn't cause any trouble other than you'll get a warning message that a texture file already exists from the prior installation, but that isn't a real problem).

After installation has completed (hopefully) successfully, find a new folder called debug which should have been created inside the tslpatchdata folder. This should now contain copies of all script source code the installer has processed. Find the file st_inc_arena.nss and open it with a text editor. Find the constant declaration ST_G_BARKSTRREF near the top, and see what number is assigned to it. It'll look something like:

const int ST_G_BARKSTRREF	 = 136384;

That number should be the dialog.tlk StrRef to the entry containing the string <CUSTOM1230>. If it does not, when something weird has happened.

I'll do all that now.

EDIT: It points to the right string. I have no idea what the heck is wrong.

No, No, No, Temp Folder.

(snip)

EDIT: It points to the right string. I have no idea what the heck is wrong.

Hmm, very strange. If you installed to a temp folder, did you remember to move the dialog.tlk file from the Temp folder into your game folder, and all the files put into Modules and override into their proper locations?

Did you get any errors or warnings at all during installation?

Does the tslpatchdata folder contain any NCS files other than k_sup_droid.ncs, k_sup_grenade.ncs, st_sp1_generic.ncs?

Does there exist a folder with "temp" or "tmp" anywhere in its name inside the tslpatchdata folder?

Hmm, very strange. If you installed to a temp folder, did you remember to move the dialog.tlk file from the Temp folder into your game folder, and all the files put into Modules and override into their proper locations?

Did you get any errors or warnings at all during installation?

Does the tslpatchdata folder contain any NCS files other than k_sup_droid.ncs, k_sup_grenade.ncs, st_sp1_generic.ncs?

Does there exist a folder with "temp" or "tmp" anywhere in its name inside the tslpatchdata folder?

Okay, everything is in it's proper place, so yes to the first question.

I got one warning to do with drexyl.tga or something.

No.

No.

I would also like to mention that the reason the other gametypes aren't working is because the big door isn't opening. When I opened it with the whereami armband, the characters i was to fiight were behind there. I'm gonna look at the source for that script if you don't mind and see if i can get it to open.

Okay, everything is in it's proper place, so yes to the first question.

(snip)

Errors: No.

(snip)

Leftover NCS: No.

:confused: Then I have absolutely no idea what's going on. (Unless it's a mod conflict and you use mods made by someone else who also uses my "st_" prefix for their data files.) It works fine in my game without any such problems (unlike the turret+dialog problems which I could reproduce). If others experience the same problem it seems like this mod won't be released anytime soon.

I would also like to mention that the reason the other gametypes aren't working is because the big door isn't opening. When I opened it with the whereami armband, the characters i was to fiight were behind there.

Look in your override folder is there is a script named st_pitdooropen.ncs. If there is, delete it. This script was used in CSArena 3, but should not be there for CSArena4. The installer should have renamed it to st_pitdooropen.ncs.old, but perhaps that's not enough.

Okay, door opens fine now. I guess I can live with the messed .tlk entries.

I'm gonna tinker with it a little, and will post here if i hit a milestone.

Okay, I just killed the .tlk entries for Contagen and the arena works fine. I can deal with not having a description for an attack i never use.

Okay, door opens fine now. I guess I can live with the messed .tlk entries.

I'm gonna tinker with it a little, and will post here if i hit a milestone.

Okay, I just killed the .tlk entries for Contagen and the arena works fine. I can deal with not having a description for an attack i never use.

(Snip! scratch that)

EDIT: I found a bug in the installer, the scripts were not updated properly in the RIM file under some circumstances. That's probably the cause of this problem. I'll have a look at it and see if I can do something about that. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. :)

(That should teach me not to do "performance enhancement tweaks" in an application a few hours before uploading it. Some fairly new code that was the cause of all this... Seems it was a good idea not to release this buggy POS just because it seemingly worked on my computer at least. :))

Odd, what kind of mod was that? All of the arena combatants use module-specific templates and module-specific AI scripts. Unless someone has named the files of their mod exactly the same other mods should not affect how the arena battles work.

The mod was made by a friend who has just started with modding and to be honest he sucks (sorry dude) but he is 1 of my best friend so I helped testing it and had some remains of his mod are in a override sub-folder, so with installing your mod in the main override folder they didn't worked together.

Third attempt, hopefully there are no more planet-sized screwups left that have slipped beneath the radar this time... I've uploaded wip3 here in case there is anyone who hasn't already been scared away from giving this a try to see if it works properly.

That version should fix the installer problem so all scripts are properly updated in the RIM file. That should hopefully take care of the other glitches experienced.

I'm experiencing a few problems with your arena mod, stoffe. The third version of your fourth version of the arena worked fine, though when I choose to have a tournement ladder battle the enemies never spawn. With the CSArena4 WIP 3, though, this happens with all types of matches. Did you change anything related to that?

This isn't the first problem I've experienced, though. It took half an hour or so of tinkering for me to be able to get CSArena4 WIP 1 to work. :confused:

Archived