Home

gas prices

RevanA4

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very funny comics, Ossus! And oh so true... Thanks for sharing. :)

I don't know what part of the Phoenix area Achilles lives in but there is only one station in my neck of the desert less than US$3/US gallon (US$2.99). All the other stations are US$3.19 - 3.59 for just the regular 87 octane stuff.

[soapbox]

As far as I'm concerned we Americans have only ourselves to blame for the current situation with our energy supply. Our collective vision is much too shortsighted and self-centered.

Like LIAYD referenced about the SUV's, everybody and their cousin had to buy them without considering that gas prices would not always be as low as they were when they bought the SUV. Now many of the SUV owners complain that they can't afford to drive their vehicle because of the high gas prices.

In the meantime our capitalistic ideals promote the concept of free trade but when a country like China actually applies those concepts, their economy takes off, and of course they then need energy (in the form of oil products) to continue their economic expansion thereby increasing demand for an already taxed supply. What else should we expect but serious price volatility?

Then of course the USA haven't built a new refinery in the last 20+ years because no one wants it built in their backyard. "Build it in someone else's backyard!" they say. So our refining capacity has only been increased by the oil companies' ability to apply new refining technologies that squeezed more productivity out of existing refining infrastructure. This strategy doesn't seem to be working at the present time.

But when all is said and done we just get all upset because we can't have our cake and eat it too. Unfortunately, it seems like our nation only learns the hard way. One has only to consider the current tragedy in New Orleans to understand that Americans generally fail to adhere to the adage "penny-wise, pound-foolish." Or was that a Confucian saying... :D

[/soapbox]

So my Jeep Cherokee (avg. 20 miles per gallon) sits in my driveway more often now and I ride the motorcyle in the sweltering Arizona heat, perspiring all the way to work and back but grateful that the bike gets about 40 mpg. :moped

Archived