Home

If you can put pics in signatures, why not in the info bar at the left?

REDJOHNNYMIKE

RJM,

Short answer to your question is No!

Basically, it isn't allowed... you can't put pics in your title and location sections... and I highly doubt that is even a possible option anyway.

The only pic areas are your avatar and signature... for good reason too, as having more images in areas like your location and custom title would really mess up the forum format... not to mention increase load times for users.

But what if it's only about the size of the avatar, and you don't have a picture in your current sig?

*RedHawke starts wondering what the word No means in RJM's neck of the woods*

You cannot do what you want to do, sorry! What sense does it make to even ask this question?

Your reply should just have been something like... "Oh! OK! I gave it a shot."

that wouldn't mess up the format,

Yes it would, you would have to scroll through acres of peoples images to just read the individual posts... hence why people get pestered for having long signatures.

Just imagine 3 avatar sized 120X120 images in the name section of everyones posts that is 360 tall, now add in the other things like your name and etc., it would triple the size of the forum for people to read... not good.

there could be an option for one or the other.

Nope, and I'm glad you can't add additonal pics too, for the above reasons... an avatar and signature pic is enough for everybody. ;)

EDIT: If I sound harsh... I apologise RJM! :D It has been one looooooooooong evil day! :xp:

"*RedHawke starts wondering what the word No means in RJM's neck of the woods*"

It can mean many things...

3? The location is the only other one I know of, unless you mean Rank, then you'd have three, but if you limited their size it wouldn't take up much room, about four probably would've fit nicely in your post, most posts would easily fit two,

*wonders what Acres means in RH's neck of the woods:D*

there could be limitations on pixe height and width in the info section, and on height in the sig, it doesn't seem that bad if it's done right.

What's the current limitation on sigs?

While not a long one for me today, it was pretty darn hot!!! so I understand being frustrated with me:)

^^^^

My sig is a good example of an average one... the general sig courtesy is no more than the length of the average post.

And as a good example post for why not to have extra images in the name area, you should think of the many one line posts we get, just imagine up to 3 pics in the name area and then what it would look like with 20 of these one line posts in a row, it would be many 'acres' of scrolling to try and read something useful, and very... very irriating.

Acre=One full roll of the mouse wheel ;)

Really poor representation of a post like this with 3 possible pics would look like;

[Name].................Nice Work! (One line post)

[Pic 1 Title]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[Pic 2 Avatar]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[Join Date]

[Pic 3 Location]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]............Signature Here

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

Compared to now;

[Name].................Nice Work! (One line post)

[Text Title]

[Avatar]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[/\/\/\/\/\/]

[Join Date]............Signature Here

[Text Location]

I know this isn't accurate but just work with me here... ;) But as you can see it would take up the space of near 2 current posts... I hope you can see what I'm saying now...

Wait a tic! *Shakes empty bottle* Out of beer!!! :eek:

[Darth Vader] Nooooooo! :vadar:

^^^^

the general sig courtesy is no more than the length of the average post.

Well said RedHawke. Long signatures is a pet peeve of mine. I'd happily set up an automatic truncation user's signatures to be less than their post length if the admins would allow me. I didn't care much for the increase in avatar size when we went to vb3 so you can guess my opinion on RJM's suggestion. :D

If you put post count and join date on that top bar, you'd have more room,

and as is, I have room for another one right next to my avatar, because your huge avatar stretches the info bar to the right, take a look, see mines smaller, I don't mean that you should have a certain number of slots, just more creative use of the area you do have,

And on a related note, how about choosing color and maybe even theme of your posts?

I didn't care much for the increase in avatar size when we went to vb3 so you can guess my opinion on RJM's suggestion. :D

Yup! I sure can! :D

:lightning<--tk102 to people with lots of pics!

If you put post count and join date on that top bar, you'd have more room,

Can't be done, see forum software is forum software, and the forum format is pretty universal. While these things can be added and removed they are always in the Name section.

and as is, I have room for another one right next to my avatar, because your huge avatar stretches the info bar to the right, take a look, see mines smaller,

Nope, both yours and my name parts of our posts are identical in width on my end, the Name section is the same width regardless of your avatar size... or even if you have no avatar like tk102 does, his name section is the same width as mine and yours. Of course I run at 1280X1024 resolution, if you are running smaller than that we might be getting display differences.

Just because I switched to the larger allowed 120X120 Avatar and you still have a 70X70 does not give you any "free" space, you sill can upload a bigger avatar and your posts won't get any more space. Do not confuse your avatar space with something else.

I don't mean that you should have a certain number of slots, just more creative use of the area you do have,

Sorry but this is how it is, see it is an established format, and if it was the way you wanted it would be abused, so that is why it is the way it is. Remember with users with dialup the more pics each user can SPAM into the forum page the longer it will take to load as well... this is where the abuse part comes from.

What if eash post had a 50Kb Avatar/gif's and around 150Kb of offsite extra pics/gif's in the name sections of each post, now add sig pics/gif's to that total... a single page of 20 or so posts could run upwards of 4 even 5+ megabytes to download... that's per page mind you. Dialup users would be screwed trying to load all that crap just to view a page of forum posts...

And on a related note, how about choosing color and maybe even theme of your posts?

Nope, all that is decided by the admins, and usually each section has it's own color scheme... check out the other forums in the LF network sometime and you will see that the colors vary per section you are posting in or browsing. :)

* gives Redhawke a cookie* :burg1:

That ain't gonna happen RJM for all the reasons mentioned above.

- Too much bandwidth (some people still have dial-up)

And it's really not just limited to dial-up people. Some have download/upload caps on DSL and cable. And considering we're pretty much a gaming forum people here game(mostly online), add in the constant forum browsing where there are like 30 pictures in 5 posts alone, people are gonna end up losing their connection until the end of the month.

Plus yeah, too many pictures just pisses people off, namely me. It's okay if it's an image thread or if this were an imageboard, but it's not. It's a forum and meant for discussion. Not a gallery for your "sweetpix" or "leetgraphic designz".

* gives Redhawke a cookie* :burg1:

That ain't gonna happen RJM for all the reasons mentioned above.

[Cookie Monster] Mmmmm... Cookie! :burg1:

OK, that one makes it official, I have incurred the wrath of a super mod, I'm gonna give up before an admin gets ticked off:D

What am I chopped liver? (Don't answer that!) :xp:

"Don't you make me hurt you Mikey!" -Tony Two-Toes (Eraser)

" "sweetpix" or "leetgraphic designz"."

WOW, my avatar is sw887 l887;)

I didn't know flattery was used to get your point across here:D

"What am I chopped liver? (Don't answer that!) "

Well, my mom did fix porkchops tonight, would that work?;)

but seriously, I had a question about doing the opposite, can you turn all graphics off, I didn't see the option, I would probably use it occasionally when I get light weather between me and the sat?

Archived