Home

Advice for Beta Testers (serious)

Kurgan

Okay, I just thought of this, and it might seem counter intuitive, but please, here is what I recommend for you new beta testers (now that it's free):

Find an exploit and CHEAT LIKE HELL.

This may be one of the only ways to get Pandemic's attention.

Don't play "honorably" but instead be as nasty as possible. This will bring exploits like wall/map hacks and such to light.

Use every means at your disposal to screw around. Use aim bots, try to do the objectives wrong. Vote to kick yourself. Attack your own Heroes and vehicles.

Here negative reinforcement can be a good thing! This may be the one and only time I ever advocate online cheating in a pc game. Don't blow your chance!

Try to screw the game up and make it crash. That's the best thing you can do.

I realize many people may be signing up for the beta test simply to get to play the game early, but really nobody benefits from that.

You might have people get angry at you or get you booted, but that's okay. The benefits to the game far outweigh the displeasure of a few other beta testers who don't get it. Do it for the good of the game!

Get other people together to show the exploits online too if that helps.

What we want is to give them feedback by bringing bugs to light, so that the game can be as tweaked as possible on release (or at least ensure they know what's wrong with it so the first patch can come out quicker).

How about no.

Would you rather bugs and exploits be HIDDEN until release? "Security through obscurity" doesn't work. Cheaters will be using these things to ruin the game once it comes out and Pandemic will be very slow (given their past track record) to release patches to fix them, if they ever do.

Best to get these things out on the table and do as much damage as possible while it's still in beta. What's the point of a beta if not to expose problems?

If we don't do this, we'll have only ourselves to blame when the cheaters start ruining your games in November!

So do everything you can exploit the beta and spread the word. This will allow Pandemic to actually make fixes early on.

CHEAT LIKE HELL!

Remember to post your findings!

I really don't care. Once they release Singleplayer on the Beta, or once the game comes out, I am NEVER playing online again

I doubt they'll put single player on the beta, since they can test that with just a small handful of people internally (multiplayer requires lots of testing with large numbers of people on at a time to stress the servers while having lots of different setups).

So basically you're admitting you're useless for this beta? Just wanted to try out the game early...

As I suspected! ;)

But you said you were never playing online again, so I guess that must mean you thought it sucked. I hear a few people are turned off the game already because of the crappiness. Then again other people are probably much more hyped up by the release of this beta, and its free publicity (or pay publicity for the folks last week) for them!

Archived