Home

GIMP Tutorials? re: blue visors

CrudeMatter

Ooh ok, I gotcha. So the default background is black(with the outline box) and I don't need to insure that my image has either. ...As long as I, esentially, have my image 'cut-out', by having the background as a transparency (alpha channel). I think I get it.

...but it does lead me to more questions...

Why does the extracted tga have a background instead of the checkerboard that marks it as an alpha channel? Does the act of extracting it as tga kill the alpha channel setting? If so, why doesn't saving it do the same thing? ...and more importantly is there a way to prevent it so that I can see what is normally transparent in a newly-extracted tga?

and... where the hell did most of you learn this stuff? lol

Thanks alot for the info, as usual. This helps me considerably with understanding the importance and function of alpha channels.

Only for nonanimated models.

Operation order

1. In mdlops "select file" button and select binary mdl (mdx file is in same location as mdl) and hit "read and write model". Mdlops has acrive checkbox "extract animations" and uncheck "convert skin to trimesh".

2. Load in notepad model-ascii file, search for texture name (that name is in model-texture.txt file), replace original texture name with custom texture name, save.

3. In mdlops "select file" button and select ascii mdl (which I have modif. in notepad) and hit "read and write model". Rename the binary result (mdl and mdx) to be unique item.

Is this ok?

Ya thats fine to do to , but its more work than you need to do. mdlops's renamer function will cover renameing the textures in about a minute and opening the mdl in a hex editor to change the model name takes about 20-30 seconds. Its how we(USM team) made all our saber color variations. For me it only took about 30-40 minutes to do all 50 plus models and thats while chatting on YM. So for me its the best and most efficient way to do it.

^^^

Yup... I think I was doing the same "back in the day" of the USM build... of course I had less sabers so it only took me about 20 min. ;)

The .2da file on the other hand... ugghhh...

Just remember when HEXing the saber model (to make it a unique model number) You only need to change the first entry you come to. It's usually on the very first or second line of the HEX.

I'd also suggest to do the HEXing portion after MDLOPs Renamer function.

Not to nitpick moderators too much but aren't you guys straying from Crudematters orginal topic. :p

I like direction for this discution. I get some info about gimp and how to change fast and safe textures and name for models.

My method was good but long road. With great view btw. In that way I have found about 3 important things:

selfillumcolor 0.0 0.0 0.0

Alpha 1.0

transparencyhint 0

And in that way I was able to make this http://q-net.netfirms.com/wip/ without remodeling existing models.

To find out about one easy way to make something it`s great.

I need to thanks to Crudematters for starting this thread and to all of you for replys with valueable information.

:)

Wow! Nice work oldflash! ...the blue visors thing certainly pales in comparison. I would ask all kinds of questions about how you accomplished that, but I'm sure that would take a while. lol I'm glad you've gotten something from the thread, I sure have. Thanks for sharing... you guys continue to raise the bar.

DK- you're probably right about deviation, but I wasn't worried... I like to think that I've been getting something from it all anyway. Besides, its kinda nice to see the moderators reminiscing... maybe it can get them to be so nostalgic as to recall 'way back' when they were noobs. lol (if they ever were.) That sounds educational to me, if not exactly on topic. Also, the thread is about 'finished'... with all the help, I've accomplished what I set out to. I've got my blue visors and clean icons, and I've learned a whole lot more in the process. I'm ok with some deviation, in the hopes that I can learn some more by listening to these kinds of 'similar' discussions. Plus I hope the thread stays open in case I need some more handholding with GIMP down the road. Not that I'm in a position to say anything about it but, no need to repress on my account. I do appreciate the attempt at focus, regardless.

I am still interested to know if any of you have some formal training in this kind of thing. I'm pretty sure there aren't GIMP classes but theres clearly a much higher comfort level with things like alpha channels that I'm just learning about.

Thanks to all for all the info-tainment... I've gotten a lot from it.

CrudeMatter, you won't belibe if I tell you but my fist modification on kotor was one blue visor.

And just for fun, load ascii model in notepad. Locate "alpha" - must be 2 lines in all model. One is set to 1.0. Forget about this one and go to next. This one is set to 0.6 or .07 That means transparency. 1.0 means opaque 0.0 is 100% transparent. Try .08 or 0.9 (almost opaque) as value and near by this line you will find "selfillumcolor". Values is for RGB (red, green,blue). Try on this 0.4 0.0 1.0

Save and use T7's method (it' beter) to replace texture and name if you need.

And give-us a pic of result.

CrudeMatter, you won't belibe if I tell you but my fist modification on kotor was one blue visor.

And just for fun, load ascii model in notepad. Locate "alpha" - must be 2 lines in all model. One is set to 1.0. Forget about this one and go to next. This one is set to 0.6 or .07 That means transparency. 1.0 means opaque 0.0 is 100% transparent. Try .08 or 0.9 (almost opaque) as value and near by this line you will find "selfillumcolor". Values is for RGB (red, green,blue). Try on this 0.4 0.0 1.0

Save and use T7's method (it' beter) to replace texture and name if you need.

And give-us a pic of result.

hmm... ok I tried this but obviously I did something wrong. All I could get was an invisible item. It had it's icon and description, but didn't show up when equipped.

I located "alpha" in 3 lines, not just 2... and they were all set to 1.

and when I tried the renamer function for the ascii model it wouldn't do it.

any ideas?

I may have missed something simple, but please forgive me... I've dl'ed and started learning half a dozen new programs in the last week or so, and the modding portion of my brain is leaking out my ear. :wornout: I've been dreaming about the stuff and I think my wife was starting to suspect my sanity, since I've been mumbling about 2da's, and forgetting mdx's, etc. :lol:

...I think I handled that one though... I got her to give me some advice on a pfbamc texture. :naughty: Now she doesn't think I'm crazy. ...well, no more than normal. Maybe its time for a "You know you've been doing too much modding when..." thread. :lol:

anyway, sorry to screw up on your trick... I really wanted to see what you were pointing me at. btw- I could use some help with gmax... but thats another thread. And thanks, it didn't work but I learned a few things in the process anyway.

hmm... ok I tried this but obviously I did something wrong. All I could get was an invisible item. It had it's icon and description, but didn't show up when equipped.

I located "alpha" in 3 lines, not just 2... and they were all set to 1.

and when I tried the renamer function for the ascii model it wouldn't do it.

any ideas?

Mdlops renamer function will only work on binary models not on ascii and all that it will do is find the texture references, allow you to rename them and then write a new model.

If you found 3 Alpha's in the ascii then that mean the model was devided into 3 trimesh's. the level of alpha that you assign to the trimesh determines its level of transparency. 1.0 = opaque, 0.0 = Completely transparent. The devs strangely enough did use the 0.0 setting for a few models that did not want to show in-game, I have no idea why they would do that when you can just set the trimmesh to not render.

No, T7nowhere and CrudeMatter. That was my mistake. I have try to point to alpha (to control transparency) ans self ilumination. Both I have use-it in my last mod but this example was bad choise. Sorry. Next time I will think twice before post something like this. Again, sorry.

@T7- As always, thanks for the info, it helped educate me even further... and as always it gives me more Q's. :lol: ...not to mention giving me one more reason to wonder about the devs. Your experienced advice makes me work... and want the Holowan Dictionary. :lol: Many thanks.

@oldflash- no apology is necessary, I learned a few things in the process and I really appreciate that you took that much interest in my developement. Just the pics you posted showed me alot about alpha channels. Thank you very much for the excercise and inspiration. I am very happy with what I've gained from this thread. No worries.

...and again, to all of you who have contributed to this thread...Thank you so very much!!! I've got GIMP all over the place now. :lol: Your help has made me surprised at my own progress.

Archived