Home

PC Voice?

LegoRevan

Do YOU Want The PC To Have A Voice?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do YOU Want The PC To Have A Voice?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I Don't Care!!!

PC voice acting is something like a lightsaber. It can go right and it can go wrong. Deus Ex, for example went right. JC's monotone voice fit the game and theme perfectly well. Also, the dialogue in DX was something like, half the dialogue in KotOR. PC Voice Acting works to give a movie-like feel. The reason KotOR doesn't have it is, that it is not supposed to resemble a movie. It gives complete control into the player's hands. In Deus Ex, JC handled most lines on his own, while in KotOR, the PC had to pick each and every line.

My Vote: No.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess my issue with it is that it would define my character in a way that I might not like, and that I would rather it be left to my imagination and own character concept.

But if they were going to do it, I'd like to see something like Baldur's Gate 2 were you could select a "sound set" that had phrases in a variety of different voices.

I guess my issue with it is that it would define my character in a way that I might not like, and that I would rather it be left to my imagination and own character concept.

But if they were going to do it, I'd like to see something like Baldur's Gate 2 were you could select a "sound set" that had phrases in a variety of different voices.

That would be cool! BTW, I have never played any of the Baldur's titles, are they worth getting?

PC voice acting is something like a lightsaber. It can go right and it can go wrong. Deus Ex, for example went right. JC's monotone voice fit the game and theme perfectly well. Also, the dialogue in DX was something like, half the dialogue in KotOR. PC Voice Acting works to give a movie-like feel. The reason KotOR doesn't have it is, that it is not supposed to resemble a movie. It gives complete control into the player's hands. In Deus Ex, JC handled most lines on his own, while in KotOR, the PC had to pick each and every line.

Well I know that KOTOR is too much to be supported for a dialogue, but still it would be nice to see the main character talk. :)

P.S. There is a flim based on Deus Ex already planned. Didn't surprise me, since the game rocks, the story line is original and JC is a great character.

Exactly what some on here has said. Just the "Got it", "Done", "I think I've been poisened", "Damn!" voices. That is all they really need, and I would rather that is as far as they go on it. Leaves time for more important stuff.

That's what i'd like too. As always RobQel-Droma speaks for those who enjoyed KOTOR 1. This I want and hope to get or I will have to lay traps for the devs and tell them to put it in. Maybe use agressive negotiations :lsduel:

• 2 weeks later...

i say no the the pc having a voice, but one think i would like to have is if you get to a point in the game where you are not sure what you should do, then you can consult your party members and then will say "well maybe we should ask around this place or that place". i think that would be a kool little add on

I say no because voice acting give your PC a sense of character seperated from the player, making the game more like a movie about some other hero than the RPG idea that the player IS the hero,

Well you see, KOTOR is a very much plot based game, that has continuations of the story. And instead of starting a new one TSL continued the story of the previous one. So KOTOR isn't a standard RPG.

decreasing the game's immersiveness.

If you ask me... I think that it would increase it. But that's just me.

If you ask me... I think that it would increase it. But that's just me.

Vlad is right, that would increase the immersiveness of the game, I don't see how it could be decreased with PC Voice, but that's why I'm opposing it. A lot of RPG games don't give voice-freedom to the PC, to let the player imagine concepts on the PC himself. That way, he can have his own reasons for pursuing the quest. KotOR goes a step further by letting you choose each and every dialogue you make, and hey, if you know what you are going to say, why would you want to hear it from a different voice? Voice acting should only be used if your character is going to have things to say on his own, which I'm sure he won't.

It would decrease it because it detracts from the sense that you are the main character. If some guy's talking then you're not playing as your version of the main character, ur playing as that guy.

I prefer the idea that my character is who I want them to be, not a prewritten character.

Actually in KOTOR 1 you heard "No problem," "Didn't work," "Damn," "Done," "Mine laid and ready," I could go on. My thing is is that TSL, the PC didn't say anything when you switched characters. What I say is put the original voice files from KOTOR 1 into KOTOR 3, I want to hear something! :forkyou:

good catch. for me though, those statements were so comonly repeated and part of the basic gameplay, that I found them unimportant (thats why I forgot about them). but what I have been taking from this thread is people wanting there PC to have dialog, not just oneliners after doing a task..... they had that in TSL.. and as for this i mean when you approached them, they would have a response. dont see a need for anything more.... developers probably saw the same thing... thats y all the small comments were taken out and not putt into TSL

I loved the PC voice in K1, I don't think it should be choosable, except maybe for accent. I don't want an American accent because the Brit is the darksider.

So yes, just like K1.

After the way our Obi Wan from episodes 4,5, & 6 turned into an A*$hole about his fame from the Star Wars movies ( didnt like the fat that he was more famous for them than his other stage and film ventures) i'm kinda against the British, English accents for Jedi or Sith... But I guess I could handle the accent if it was standing at the business end of my light saber

:sithk:

Then let me ask you this, why do they all speak with British accents when they're from outer space and there's no Britain?

*Flees before my head pops off*

I just would like to hear the PC say something, I found it neat to hear. An accent would be good but even Han Solo had an American accent. :slsaber:

No way! Voice acting would take away from the character. When I imagine the voice of the character I'm using, he sounds like me.

I usually try to pick the character that looks like me the most (except in KOTOR2 I used the red-headed guy, who looks nothing like me), so he should sound like me too. :p

The little "gah, im poisoned!" or "didn't work." things are alright with me, but full voiceovers for the PC would not only make the game pointlessly longer, but also take us so much space on PC user's harddrives due to all of the dialogue options. Not to mention we could possibly get the most annoying people to do the PC's voice....

But, if they were to include PC voiceovers, I would hope there would be a selection of which voice you have (by listening to samples.), or just choosing "No voice".

Archived