Home

Chat Transcript - 11/11/05

Guest DarthMaulUK

So Like I said Jan the Interdictor is useless in this, since we can't do Hyperspace Ambushes so it's got no use there and since next to no-one realistically retreats it has no use there either.

Well, then there are alot of fools out there then for me to own when I even negate them the chance to retreat with my Interdictors. ;)

I really don't see the problem here.

It was the same in Rebellion, and it worked out very well. The aim was to keep the enemy in the system, forcing them to fight, rather than retreat and save the few ships they had. Thus ridding yourself of a potential larger fleet later.

Yes, but it also kept them in system when they started to whip your tail too because Rebllion didn't have an option to turn the interdictor field off. heh. That's a kinda semi hope I have for this game, because sometimes battles can be despirate enough and you'd rather take the easy victory for a key planet and have a defense force, than take a hard victory and have only a few ships to defend the planet when their counter offensive is launched. etc, etc

If it's like Rome:Total War, an Interdictor will have plenty of uses. When your forces started retreating in R:TW, the victor had the choice to massacre what remains or just let them go. Usually, if you didn't have cavalry anymore, you couldn't really stop them from retreating. By retreating, many units survive to fight another day.

I don't think it's very smart for anyone to not retreat. If it wasn't a viable strategy in certain previous RTS, I'm sure it will be for Empire at War.

Jan Gaarni: We've heard rumours that the tech tree ends at A New Hope. Is this true?

Petroglyph-Joe: The tech tree builds up to the end of A New Hope but since the game doesn't follow the Movies exactly, the player can mix things up a bit. There are a couple of units seen in later movies that you can research in EaW.

SO it ends at a New Hope??? How far does it go back toward Ep III? I wonder.

Yes, the tech tree ends at ANH. I know there are some units that are not seen in ANH but are said to be around at the time of ANH (A-wing for example).

I don't know what units if any are seen in RotS off the top of my head.

EDIT: That are not also in ANH is what I meant to say.

Will this mean that the Empire will start of with clones and you will have to research Stormtroopers? I ask only because they have made it clear that the x-wing will not be standard issue for the rebels, but rather something they will have to go after and get. Seems to me the X-wing is about as Rebel as you can get, an icon of the rebellion. Stormtroopers are the same for the empire, to be fair they should have to do the same?

That makes sense accually, because during the clone wars there was the ARC starfighter that was first to develope from the old republic as the basis of the next starfighter evolution could either be the Z-95 headhunter(If they are not the same asside from the fact that the ARC starfighter has four extra wings) or the X-wing

Archived