Who do you want to play as in KoTOR 3?

igyman

Who will you play as in KoTOR 3?  

309 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you play as in KoTOR 3?

• Revan
    • Exile
    • A completely new character

@stinger: you are limited by the fact that they have to be as 1337 as Revan and the Exile. You are limited by the necessity for this character's backstory, for the reason we have this brand new character, etc etc. Neither situation is especially practical.
practical: no. essential: yes.

to change the format of the character you play is not something that's very desireable in the gaming industry. consistancy is the name of the game when it comes to sequels. in this case, it is essential that whoever the PC is has a definate backstory and a reasonable excuse for having (or lack there of) the abilities they have. its also a reasonable requirement that the PC be a very powerful character since that has been the established standard of the two previous games.

like it or not, whoever develop's Kotor 3 is very likely to abide by those established necessities just because it is a sequel.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
practical: no. essential: yes.

to change the format of the character you play is not something that's very desireable in the gaming industry. consistancy is the name of the game when it comes to sequels. in this case, it is essential that whoever the PC is has a definate backstory and a reasonable excuse for having (or lack there of) the abilities they have. its also a reasonable requirement that the PC be a very powerful character since that has been the established standard of the two previous games.

like it or not, whoever develop's Kotor 3 is very likely to abide by those established necessities just because it is a sequel.

Y'know, these arguments can be applied the other way around. Bringing Revan back would create a link between the three games.

I agree,but no character will be ever powerfull as Revan was ( and is ?!)

His storyline was most interesting and most schocking ( the cut-scene in Kotor 1 where you find out that you"re Revan is one of most powerfull moments in PC Games

I was very much suprised,it was totally unpredictable

Really? You must have been oblivious to the hints given to you along the way before the revelation. Anyways I said a new PC because I just can't find a justified reason for bringing in Revan as the Pc. Should there be some mentionof him? Yes because it would complete the storyline, the same for the Exile because he's connected somehow to the whole thing that began in the Mandalorian Wars.

Y'know, these arguments can be applied the other way around. Bringing Revan back would create a link between the three games.
to which i quote my own post...
it would be difficult to come up with yet another excuse to explain why Revan or the Exile has lost their abilities and has to re-develop them. yes, it is possible, but it would be a bit too cliche for most players.
you have to understand that i'm looking at this from two perspectives: first the development and writing process. second, i'm looking at how both the hardcore and the average gamer are going to perceive things.

from the developer/writer's standpoint, creating a new character makes more sense because you aren't limited to an established charater. you also aren't constrained to explain why a character has suddenly lost not only their powers, but also whatever they stood for (in this case being lightside or darkside).

from a gamer's perspective, a more cohesive and reasonable storyline is what makes the difference. in this case, you really can't use amnesia since its been done. you can't use being shut off from the Force because that's been done. you also can't look backwards and try to use Revan's or the Exile's backstory because we already know the backstory to those characters. so, now you really aren't left with much options unless those options include the insane and over-the-top ideas, and quite frankly, hardly anybody that goes through Kotor 3's storyline is going to want that.

you have to understand that i'm looking at this from two perspectives: first the development and writing process. second, i'm looking at how both the hardcore and the average gamer are going to perceive things.

from the developer/writer's standpoint, creating a new character makes more sense because you aren't limited to an established charater. you also aren't constrained to explain why a character has suddenly lost not only their powers, but also whatever they stood for (in this case being lightside or darkside).

from a gamer's perspective, a more cohesive and reasonable storyline is what makes the difference. in this case, you really can't use amnesia since its been done. you can't use being shut off from the Force because that's been done. you also can't look backwards and try to use Revan's or the Exile's backstory because we already know the backstory to those characters. so, now you really aren't left with much options unless those options include the insane and over-the-top ideas, and quite frankly, hardly anybody that goes through Kotor 3's storyline is going to want that.

Thank you stingerhs, you nailed it. :D

@ Vlad to answer your questions you posed to me...

But why would she test the Exile? Tests are made to prepare people for something. Kreia was obviously preparing the Exile for something. And would she really go that far, even though it would kill her? She may be devious. But she's definately not a lunatic.

Kreia was preparing her apprentice so as to challenge her, she used everyone around her to achieve this goal. She knew full well what she was doing. Her happiest moment was when the Exile defeats her, that was everything she worked for. It is the Dark Sith way. The apprentice and master must have a face off at some point. The strong must rule.

Revan's story ended with either reclaiming the Sith Throne or saving the Republic.

The Exile defeating Kreia was the end to the Exile's story.

You seem to foster some false pretenses on just what the characters mean in these games, Revans story is finished, the same applies for the Exile, I'm sorry, these characters story arc's are quite done, all that remains is to answer the questions of their fates... all that is left is to find out weather Revan and The Exile lived happily ever after or died a Sith or Jedi death.

You can very much build a game story for a new PC on this question of our previous 2 characters fates alone, add to it the True Sith Empire and their threat to the weakened Republic, and lastly with the Jedi Order being in a wrecked state and unable to do much... that sounds like a heck of a game to me. Talk about overwhelming odds for us to beat in the third installment!

Kreia was preparing her apprentice so as to challenge her, she used everyone around her to achieve this goal. She knew full well what she was doing. Her happiest moment was when the Exile defeats her, that was everything she worked for. It is the Dark Sith way. The apprentice and master must have a face off at some point. The strong must rule.

Revan's story ended with either reclaiming the Sith Throne or saving the Republic.

The Exile defeating Kreia was the end to the Exile's story.

You seem to foster some false pretenses on just what the characters mean in these games, Revans story is finished, the same applies for the Exile, I'm sorry, these characters story arc's are quite done, all that remains is to answer the questions of their fates... all that is left is to find out weather Revan and The Exile lived happily ever after or died a Sith or Jedi death.

You can very much build a game story for a new PC on this question of our previous 2 characters fates alone, add to it the True Sith Empire and their threat to the weakened Republic, and lastly with the Jedi Order being in a wrecked state and unable to do much... that sounds like a heck of a game to me. Talk about overwhelming odds for us to beat in the third installment!

I agree with you about the ''Kreia testing the Exile'' matter and I agree that the Exile's story is most probably over.

On the other hand, no matter what you say, Revan wasn't insignificant, nor did his story end in KoTOR 1. If that were the case, he wouldn't even be mentioned in TSL and he was mentioned a lot, mostly in reference to what happened to him after KoTOR 1 and that wasn't resolved in TSL.

You are right - the question of their fates is what remains to be answered, in what way will it be answered is a different question. Revan could return (sorry, but I'm a lost cause on this until an official announcement arrives), he could only be mentioned, or (and I think this is highly unlikely) the new PC might run into Revan somewhere in the game.

And at last the fact that the Jedi Order was in disarray in TSL doesn't mean it will still be so in KoTOR 3. The Sith Lords who were after the Jedi were defeated in TSL, so there's no reason for the Jedi Order not to be restored.

I agree with you about the ''Kreia testing the Exile'' matter and I agree that the Exile's story is most probably over.

Progress! Woot! :elephant:(Any excuse to use the dancing pink elephant smily!) :D

On the other hand, no matter what you say, Revan wasn't insignificant, nor did his story end in KoTOR 1.

I never said that Revan was 'insignificant' now did I? :rolleyes:

I said Revan's story is done, all that remains is to find out Revan's fate.

If that were the case, he wouldn't even be mentioned in TSL and he was mentioned a lot, mostly in reference to what happened to him after KoTOR 1 and that wasn't resolved in TSL.

You couldn't not mention Revan in TSL, that would be like saying Revan meant nothing at all, Revan meant something as the deciding factor for KotOR I, and Revan's decision altered the path of the whole galaxy, it will be similar in KotOR III as we will see what the Exile's journey and decisions will have altered the galaxy further. That is all they are needed for.

I expect in KotOR III we will hear/read a lot about Revan and the Exile, since I do believe we will be following their paths once we find out about this new threat.

You are right - the question of their fates is what remains to be answered, in what way will it be answered is a different question.

It will be answered no differently than we found out things about Revan in TSL, RPG's like this are dialog driven games. We will find out things about Revan and the Exile by dialogs and found datapads in KotOR III.

Revan could return (sorry, but I'm a lost cause on this until an official announcement arrives), he could only be mentioned, or (and I think this is highly unlikely) the new PC might run into Revan somewhere in the game.

You can count on Revan being mentioned... Personally, I suspect Revan will be a big topic in KIII.

Though if we actually 'see' Revan it won't be any more than the 'vision' we got in TSL, possibly in cutscenes. With a minor texture tweak to the trademark outfit for a possible LS Revan, but it can never be more than that. ;)

Though if we actually 'see' Revan it won't be any more than the 'vision' we got in TSL, possibly in cutscenes.

Are you refering to the vision of Revan in Ludo Kressh's tomb, or is there another vision I'm not aware of (I sure hope there isn't 'cause I recently finished TSL for the 4th time and I don't want to play it again just yet)?

{snip} These are English Language forums

I've been thinking about the Revan and Exile stories (that RPG gaming system). Isn't it just sad that in K1 you put all your life efforts to save/destroy the galaxy, and then in K2 you are just being mentioned as some misterious guy...? That'll probably be the same case in K3. I mean, you spend let's say 70 good hours in K2 to spread the good/kill everybody, and then you are GONE in K3, or at least mentioned as "that guy"...

Then why did she mention the True Sith? Why did the Exile leave?

The Exile defeating Kreia was the end to the Exile's story. <----Wrong

If the Exile's story had ended with him defeating Kreia, the story would have ended with him staying to reform the Jedi Order. But instead of that, Obsidian chose that the Exile must fight, and therefor, must remain.

The way Obsidian made the ending and the entire hidden plot of KOTOR 2, it seems more likely that their stories have only begun.

You can very much build a game story for a new PC on this question of our previous 2 characters fates alone, add to it the True Sith Empire and their threat to the weakened Republic, and lastly with the Jedi Order being in a wrecked state and unable to do much... that sounds like a heck of a game to me.

What Republic? What Jedi Order?

There are two quotes that strongly barrel down that 'Republic and Jedi are in peril' theory. They were in KOTOR 2.

According to the entire calculus, the Republic will collapse in, approximatley, one month. Mainly due to the lack of both law integrity and economic crisis.

The room of the silver fountains remains empty, because there are no Jedi.

Surely, you must remember these words. So that means that there will be NO Republic or Jedi Order to be in crisis in the first place. The only option that remains is to get the two characters that want to fight against the True Sith: Revan and Ry'ghol.

Talk about overwhelming odds for us to beat in the third installment!

RedHawke, I don't want to insult you or be in conflict with you. I respect you, but please let's not take this too personally.

I like the idea someone I've forgotten came up with: You can play either as a new character, or as either Revan and/or the Exile.

That idea came out a long time ago. I was one of those that supported it (I am even now). That would be for the best. Too bad no one would do it.

I thought of this when I considered that when choosing Revan or the Exile in the character creation screen, they have different campaigns. Then I added in my thoughts that maybe even a third character could be inserted along with them.

It's a long shot... But it would be great, also that they come in contact with each other and become party members (depending on the PC).

This would, first of all, mean that the PC would have to get a voice, including male/female Revan/Exile. I mean whoever you chose, if you meet the other two and they become members of your party, you'll have to be able to talk with them just as with the rest of the party members.

That idea came out a long time ago. I was one of those that supported it (I am even now). That would be for the best. Too bad no one would do it.

I thought of this when I considered that when choosing Revan or the Exile in the character creation screen, they have different campaigns. Then I added in my thoughts that maybe even a third character could be inserted along with them.

It's a long shot... But it would be great, also that they come in contact with each other and become party members (depending on the PC).

That would be an excellent idea. Therefore, you will be able to control the fates of both characters. At the beginning of the game you will be the Exile, and you free Revan from something. When you setup your characters, at the very beginning, you will be able to choose both of their head pieces, gender, alignment, etc... After you get both characters in your party, it would only be a matter of playing the game out. If you think about it, the characters in KotOR I and II are allready setup that way. Except, this time you will be able to control two character's design and outcome.

^^^^

yeah, and then we can get caught up in a storyline that will numb our butt-cheeks for 80+ hours. :rolleyes:

what you're talking about is an absolutely massive game. games with an epic feel are one thing, but the scale you're talking about is beyond epic.

You could do this in 40hrs.

1. You would know the Exile's fate, for you are playing the Exile.

2. The only two other mysteries would be "Where is Revan?, "What is the new threat?"

Simple. If you remember KotOR I, you had to figure out two things. "Where are the Star Maps?" and "What is the StarForge?".

Revan could be your key to finding out what this threat is. The only addition to Revan will be a voice over that will be determined by his/her gender.

Edit: Add:

Oh wait. In KotOR I, Revan did have a voice over.

Originally Posted by Kreia

The room of the silver fountains remains empty, because there are no Jedi.

Surely, you must remember these words. So that means that there will be NO Republic or Jedi Order to be in crisis in the first place. The only option that remains is to get the two characters that want to fight against the True Sith: Revan and Ry'ghol.

"No Jedi". Yet we find Jedi through the game. Seems like someone was doing a little bit of lying there. No Jedi indeed. So what were Vrook, Zal etc if not Jedi.

Archived