Home

Dreamfall

elTee

So who else is looking forward to Dreamfall? Personally it's the only game I'm looking forward to (aside from Nintendo of course) after the original Longest Journey blew my mind. I'm still waiting for Psychonauts to arrive, but the demo didn't exactly leave me wet.

I just love the two futuristic and fantastical worlds in the TLJ mythology. The new game seems to have expanded considerably on the original, whilst hopefully dropping the reams of unnecessary dialogue and dictated-backstory. It should have learned from the mistakes of Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon which was a great game but went OTT with the box puzzles. Speaking of, Broken Sword: The Angel Of Death could well be a pretty damn good game too.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wanted to import it but you can't pay with European Maestro cards on American sites, and I don't have a credit card, so I'll have to wait until the 12th :(

Anyway it gives me chance to replay The Longest Journey, which should take about a month. Unless I skip the dialogue, of course...

I bought Longest Journey once but it came from Amazon missing a CD and so I e-mailed them but their reply confused me and that's the end of the story. :(

I want to play it, though, so I'll ask for it for my birthday.

On a slightly different note: is the book of the same name by E.M. Forster any good? Does it have any relation to the game?

I've been playing Dreamfall for a few hours now, and I'm quite enjoying it. The story and dialogue are miles better than TLJ, a game I always found overrated, and the atmosphere is quite decent too. It's flawed in the gameplay department, but I can live with that.

So far so good in other words.

• 1 month later...

I've just started playing it too, because I've handed in my final assignment for the year. So far it's similar to The Longest Journey - sort of irrelevant and mundane tasks to do (talk to dad, go to the gym, chat with friends) which provide a nice background to everything without throwing you in at the deep end. Like its predecessor, the world is very atmospheric and I like it a lot - so far it's kind of like Beyond Good and Evil; very multi-cultural and looks like a nice place to live. Also, like April in The Longest Journey the title character Zoe has some weird experiences that you know are going to lead to major plot points very soon.

So yeah I'm loving it. Gripes? The 'always run' thing when you move around is fine outside, but they should have put it to 'walk' when you're indoors - she moves pretty quickly and I find myself holding down the 'walk' button constantly. But looks good :D

I had my final exam today and despite being slightly drunk right now I'll probably play a little dreamfall in a bit. It got delivered on tuesday and I played it a bit, I'll play it a lot more in the next few days. So far, a bit too easy and the controls are a bit annoying (although I've started using a gamepad), but it looks okay so far.

• 1 year later...

Archived