Home

Problem with Character Editor

Bovine_Sith

Kotor tool is, in all respects, working exactly as-given on my computer, except for one major issue: when I attempt to edit a .utc file, the window opens and it is not large enough to show all of the options. I try click-and-drag enlarging it and nothing happens. I try maximizing it and nothing happens. What is going wrong, and how can I fix it? :(

Never mind, that didn't fix the problem...and it's only with the character editor, not item or anything else.

Any other ideas?

As has already been said, the most typical cause for this issue is too small a desktop resolution and/or too large a font size.

If you're absolutely certain you're using a desktop res of 1024 x 768 or higher and a font size of 'normal' or smaller and it's still happening, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Maybe if you could grab a screen shot of exactly what you're seeing, it could help spur some other ideas. That's about the only other thing I can think of -aside from the standard 'make sure all your drivers, directX, NET framework, etc are up to date and properly installed' speech which while valid, never sounds very helpful. lol.

Cheers,

-Kitty

[Edit]

RedHawke beat me to the punch, but I'll leave this up there just in the off chance that my insane degree of verbosity winds up helpful somewhere in that whole big mess below. :lol:

[/Edit]

Screenshot...I find it hard to admit this given my overall state of geekiness, but I actually don't know how to take one in XP... :( Instructions, please?

1. Open up some sort of graphics editing software (Photoshop, paintshop pro, or even plain old paint will work ok if that's what you've got available) and then minimize it just to get it out of the way for now.

2. Open up KotOR Tool and get the character editor up and positioned on screen so you're looking at it while seeing the problem it's having.

3. Press the PrtScr (Print Screen) key, which is typically somewhere in the upper right area of the keyboard, most often a little above the insert, home, page up keys. It's the same key you'll often find used to take in-game screen shots.

4. Restore/Maximize your graphics software and select from the top menu there, "File > New".

a. If you're using Photoshop, a box of options will pop up for image dimensions and so forth. It SHOULD sense the fact that you've got something stored in the clipboard, which will be apparent because the height and width will be the same as your desktop resolution, and the preset (if any) will read 'clipboard'. You should be able to just hit OK and proceed.

5. When you've got your new blank image, hit CTRL-V to paste the clipboard into the new image. It should show up and look like a smaller picture of your desktop when you took the image.

a. If you're using Photoshop, click on the "Layer" top-menu item and near the bottom select "Flatten Image".

6. If you know how or can figure out how to crop the image, you can (and should) crop out anything other than the section that shows the tool and what it's doing. This makes a smaller file, and the rest of your desktop isn't going to likely help figure this out anyway. ;)

7. Select "File > Save As" from the top menu, and select a folder you can find easily later (like your documents folder or desktop for instance) and give it some sort of file name. Choose to save as JPG (JPEG type) and select about mid-level quality (if prompted -usually with a slider bar) to keep the file size down.

8. Host the image on the web somewhere, and post the link here. I reccomend ImageShack as a convienient place to host an image.

Lastly, I hope the above didn't come across like I was trying to talk down to you or anything. I'm just trying to be as clear and complete as I possibly can to reduce the number of potential follow up questions you may need to ask. Never know just which aspects of any of this sort of thing someone does or doesn't already know. ;)

That said though, if I failed to make something clear above, don't hesitate to ask again and I'll try to do a better job. :)

Cheers,

-Kitty

This is exactly the problem I had in the past. The font looks big.

What's your screen resolution?

What's the font and font size for your menus? (Display Properties->Appearance->advanced)

Also, make sure the DPI is set to 96 (normal size) and all the fonts are set to normal. (Display Properties->Settings->advanced)

This is exactly the problem I had in the past. The font looks big.

What's your screen resolution?

What's the font and font size for your menus? (Display Properties->Appearance->advanced)

Also, make sure the DPI is set to 96 (normal size) and all the fonts are set to normal. (Display Properties->Settings->advanced)

^^^^

A visual example for posterities sake :D

http://www.jumpstationz.com/gallery/random/res_setting.jpg

Then there is a good chance your video card is failing as these are also signs that your video card is beginning to fail. Because if your resolution is that high and your set to 96 dpi then there is something on your end that is faulty. Possibly a virus of some sort(unlikely).

Just a guess but perhaps that could be the cause of the problem. I don't know if KT fully supports that resolution. I normally use 1024x768 or 1600X1200...
1280x1024 should work... but from what I gather from the screen shot, the full-sized one... the fonts and GUI are HUGE (assuming that's an actual size screenie)...

@Bovine_Sith, When you're changing your resolution, are you restarting your system? Unless you have it selected where you don't have to.. the changes won't take affect immediately. You should see a visible change in the size of everything (higher res makes your icons and such smaller)... if the res change succeeds...

Also, have you messed around in your appearance settings to make your title bar, buttons, scrollbar, etc. larger?

Also, have you messed around in your appearance settings to make your title bar, buttons, scrollbar, etc. larger?

What he said.

Make sure the font used in the menus is Tahoma size 8. (or reset everything to default)

Go to Display Properties->Appearance->advanced and then select "Menu" in the drop down menu.

Here's a screenie (It's in French but it's pretty much the same):

menus.JPG.d0576b3607cce76bacf32bb3daf756b2.JPG

Archived