Home

MC: AOTE: Rhea

steven

Mercenary Crew: Age of the empire:Chapter III:Rhea.

A weeks ago the crew of the Echo narrowly escaped the clutches

of lord vader, with the help of a jedi knight known as Riebe. After

departing their saviour, the crew travelled to Naboo.

However waiting them was two dreadnought-class ships and a large

amount of tie fighters.

Piolt entry 1..After dropping off the jedi near Alldereen, the crew didn't really know what to do. We were short on supplies and needed a job but we needed to stay under the imperial radar. It took us a few days to decide but we decided going to head to naboo. Not the smartest of all ideas because we when we exitted hyperspace two dreadnoughts and a few tie squadrons were waiting for us.

---------------------------------------------

The Dreadnoughts were not that far away from Echo and the tie squadrons were hovering around the mercinary ship like misquitoes.

"Mercenary ship 'Echo'! Cut power to engines and prepared to be board or you shall be arrest be destroyed" Hailed the Dreadnought ship.

Jack looked at the captain and said "I reckon I could get us out of this mess alive but we may experience some slight terpolence.. and proberly an explosion. Or we could us let them board us and arrest us..again." Jack took in a deep breath "And they'll be able to follow us"

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloud was in the engine room keeping the shields up. "Sooner or later, these shields might go down." thought Cloud. It was always the same way. Old parts about to become broken parts unless Cloud was there to repair them. Before, he had bought some parts for the shield out of his share(since Nic won't get them himself), but he hadn't had time to install them. And ever since Cloud got them into trouble when Sephiroth, Cloud's enemy, got them arrested and staring at Darth Vader's masked face, Cloud didn't really do anything or talk to anyone but Ryshana. He felt she could teach him about fighting Sith. It would certainly help when taking on Sephiroth, who is now an apprentice of Darth Vader. Suddenly, the engine stopped. "Spawn of a Space Slug." said Cloud. He then used Force Speed to speed himself up and repair the engine in a few seconds. He earlier found out that he was force sensative in an earlier adventure(see MC: AotE: Old Friends and New Jobs for more details). Ever since then, Cloud was getting better at repiring things with the help of the Force. He then went back to work repairing the shields.

"Erm, whose idea was it to come to Naboo?" Beryl said, looking at Nic as she stood poised at the entrance to the bridge, dressed in her fighter pilot's gear and ready to dart back to the hanger if the situation required it. "This is your home world, right? Don't you have any 'favours' you can cash in with any of the locals? A diversion would be nice right about now."

She stared out the port window of the bridge at the Dreadnaughts. "And I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather die than be boarded again." She shivered. "Just thinking about that Lord Vader and his lackeys makes my blood feel like ice water. I don't think I'll ever feel warm again."

She heard the engines go down, but before she could say anything, they came back on line. She let out a shuddering sigh. "Just get us out of here, Jack."

"This is your home world, right? Don't you have any 'favours' you can cash in with any of the locals? A diversion would be nice right about now."

"No, i don't no anyone here, not anymore anyway." Nic said continuing to look at the scanners.

Nic hadn't been to Naboo since he first left ten years ago just before the Empire was formed. It wasn't his idea to come here, he had spent his years as a Merc attempting to avoid Naboo, Nic had always told people it was because he didn't want to see his homeworld under imperial control, this was a lie. The real reason was far darker and Nic's personal seacret, no one else knew. Nic had tried to forget about it but he never could it kept coming into his mind, The memories had gotten stronger resently eversince the jedi came to his ship.

"Jana, Beyl get to battle positions." Nic said before he hit the intercom button. "Ryshanna it's time to earn your keep, I need you in the turret."

"Ready if needed, Nic," Jana called from her turret. During the last week, she'd been very quiet, keeping mostly to her room unless needed. In fact, these were her first words of the day. She peered out, squinting at the dreadnaughts and muttered, "But I sure hope I'm not..."

Oliver was sitting in his room. He had dreamed the same dream again. Of course - it woulden't stop. He didn't actually care anymore. He could always drink so much, that he would forget it. He took a new bottle from his box. A nice one from Dantooine. He took a big gulp. And he suddenly realised, that something was wrong. The taste was so wierd.

He falled from his chair with a big noise. He was unconscious.

"Ready if needed, Nic," Jana called from her turret.

"What? She speaks?!" Beryl commented outloud on her comlink, as she headed for the Headhunter. "It's about damn time!"

Once inside and the hatch closed, she waited--waited for the hatch to open, waited for the Headhunter to drop, waited to feel the adrenaline surge that would come with the pleasure of seeing an Imperial TIE explode into nothingness from the touch of her finger.

"Drop me when ready, Jack," she said into her comm. Her eyes narrowed with determination. "I'm playing for keeps this time."

"Ryshanna it's time to earn your keep, I need you in the turret."

Jumping up from her seat, Ryshana quickly ran to the turret and strapped in. Putting on a headset, she flipped a couple of switches to get everything charged up and ready to go. "All set if you need me, Captain," Ryshana stated over the intercom.

"No can do phyco, if you go out thier you'll only ruin my escape plan because the captain doesn't like leaving people behind"Replied Jack

"Well jedi. Lets see how good you are on that turret! Open fire on all enemy tie fighters." As Jana and Ryshanna fired abon the tie squadron, Jack succesfully avoid the dreadnoughts fire for several minutes untill Jack was able to enter hyperspace.

After doing that, he looked on the computer screen to the left of him "For force sake! Don't these people ever quit. Bad news captain, one of the dreadnoughts is following us. Doesn't look like any ties is following us." Jack looked at Nick who wasnt really speaking "errm, this is the time were you give me an order.."

"Okay. This is going to be a trick move. It's not easy to turn around in hyperspace. But I can do it...just." With skill, he was able to get out of hyperspace and quickly turn around and reentered hyperspace, heading towards naboo.

The echo returned to naboo space "Looks like we caught them by sirprise. The most of the tie fighters have docked inside the Dreadnought, however, the ones that haven't are firing abon us.."

EARLIER

"On it, Captain." Cloud. Those were the first words he said to him in a while. As Cloud tough, his hands moved fast to move power to thrusters.

NOW

Cloud got up and looked around. The shields were holding up fine, the engine was working fine, and life support systems were at 100%. He felt like there wasn't much to do when he used the Force to help him. He got out and looked into the bottom turret. There were scortch marks from a fire, a burnt seat, and a targeting computer that had malfunctioned. That turret made Cloud's face pale every time he seen it. It was the turret Aerith died in. And every time Cloud passed it, he turned very pale.

Still sitting in the Headhunter, and still hopeful that Jack would drop out of hyperspace and drop her so she could get some TIE kills, Beryl sighed.

Since they had escaped Vader's Star Destroyer, Beryl had been feeling rather useless. There wasn’t much more she could do to enhance the Headhunter, and it was pretty useless when they were in hyperspace. Jana and Ryshana had the turrets covered, and everyone else seemed to have a useful purpose on board. Even Cloud didn't need Beryl’s help with anything anymore, not with his new found affinity with the 'Force'.

She snorted bitterly at the thought. 'The Force.' She didn't want to believe in it, but seeing Cloud's enhanced speed and skills firsthand, made it hard for her to deny its existence. As a young child, she had been earmarked as a 'Force Sensitive'—something that she, and her father, had always tried to deny. But Vader words to her on the Star Destroyer had made it chillingly clear that she couldn’t hide her affliction from him. Being a Force Sensitive these days was dangerous enough without attention from the Emperor’s right hand man, and with three Force Sensitives now on board, it wasn’t surprising that the Empire had taken such a sudden interest in the Echo.

She flexed her hands. Her frustration was building, and she needed an outlet before she ended up doing some serious damage to something.

"Aw, c'mon, Jack!" she complained indignantly into the comm. "Come out of hyperspace and drop me already! I need some action!"

Cloud didn't want to look at the turret any longer. He looked away and walked around the ship. He had been with it a long time, but yet he always felt like he was somewhere new when he walked around the Echo. "I guess I've been lost." thought Cloud. He always did feel like something was missing since Aerith died. He thought of home on Aldeeran. It was nice to think of home. The fields that never seem to end, the houses of his old friends, and the beaches where he use to swim. He missed it. But, he loves space. Cloud then focused around him and realized that he wasn't home. He was on the Echo. Cloud realized that nothing would go back to the way they used to be. "Nothing is the same for me anymore." Cloud said to himself. He then walked to the engine room and watched to see if anything was going to malfunction.

"Okay Beryl, but we're going to have meet up on the planet. I can't stop the ship to pick you up" Jack released the Headhunter and then dived the Echo towards Naboo "Everyone hold on to something. This is going to be a bumbt ride."

As the Headhunter dropped from the Echo, Beryl finally had a way to release her frustrations. She hung back a bit, watching until she saw the flare from the Echo's belly that signalled that it was entering the first layers of atmosphere.

The TIEs were approaching fast, paying little attention to her, their focus obviously on the larger Echo. That soon changed.

Not even bothering with the targeting computer, Beryl's eyes narrowed with deep concentration. Up until now, shooting down TIEs had been mostly fun and games to her. This time, Beryl was all business. In the short time it took the TIE squadron leader to realise that she was a serious threat, three of his twelve ships had been blown into oblivion and she was shooting at a fourth. But, fun and games aside, she still had time for some thrills.

As the leader swung his squadron around to face her, she accelerated, heading straight at the leader in what appeared to be a suicide run. She easily took out number four and five before forcing the leader and the rest of his pals to veer off or collide head on with her. But Beryl never even flinched.

She had done that same move several times in combat trials when she was a test pilot, which is how she had earned the nickname 'Psycho'. But she herself didn't see it as a risky move. Somehow she always knew which way and when the opposing pilots would move.

With the TIEs now going in different directions, she looped looped below them, targeting the ones closest to the Echo first. She dispatched number six and seven in short order. Number eight thought he would out-manoeuvre her by taking a quick dive and a roll to the left. He was severely mistaken, as she anticipated where he would be before he probably knew himself.

With only four TIEs left, she went after the leader next. He was a bit more challenging, obviously having more flight experience than the others. But she was neither a kid just out of flight school nor a rogue pirate or smuggler. She stuck on him like glue, and even with his quick moves, he couldn't shake her.

A flash of red passed by her. Obviously he had called for assistance, for Beryl soon realised she now had two TIEs on her tail. She rolled the ship suddenly left, then suddenly right, wagging the wings to narrowly avoid the enemy fire from behind.

An alarm began to sound. One of the TIEs behind her had locked on. In less time than it took to press a fire button, she reversed thrusters, and the two ships sped past her. The two TIEs that had been her pursuers were now her prey. A quick array of blaster fire soon made them regret their mistake in following her too closely.

She circled back to find the leader. He was alone now. His last remaining ship had ditched the battle and was heading for the safety of the Dreadnaught. Again she pursued him, matching him move for move until she was in weapons range.

"Die," she said, as she depressed the fire button. One shot to the ion engine and it exploded, sending the TIE spinning out of control. Caught in the gravity of the planet, there was little the TIE could do but plummet towards the outer layers of atmosphere. She followed, diving at him, and with one quick blast, put him out of his misery.

She skimmed the atmosphere, pulling up just as an alarm told her the outside temperature had increased to dangerous levels due to her angle of approach. She checked her scanners. No TIEs in pursuit, but no Echo either.

"Crap." She flicked a few switches, and began searching not for the Echo's signature, but for its ion trail that led down to Naboo's surface.

Nic strapped in to his seat and continued to look at the sensors, he switched off add ID and activated the Jamming system. Nic felt the ship shudder as they hit the atmosphere, Nic switched the atmospheric shields to prevent the hull from over heating.

"Get us out of this alive jack, and i'll bye you a drink." Nic said as if Jack actually needed an insentive for not burning up the ship.

The echo kept diving towards the planet, the ground get closer and closer. After a minute or so of falling, the ship was at the point were, if the ship would fall for a few seconds more, the Echo would collide with the ground. But before that could happen Jack caused the ship to hault in mid air. As he did so the whole ship shook violently for a few seconds.

"You owe me a drink,captain" Said Jack as he got the ship into a better poistion for moving "You wanna land in the swamp or the nearby city?"

"My brain got knocked up to the cockpit there," Jana called dryly. "Someone want to return it to me?"

She came out of the turret and headed up to the cockpit. "Never mind, I'll retrieve it myself," she said, coming in. "Nice shakeup there, Jack. Warn us next time, could you?"

Beryl followed the ion trail as far as she was able to, then it began to dissipate as it drew close to the main city of Theed and mingled with other ion trails from other cargo ships.

"Damn it," Beryl complained outloud to herself. "Where'd they go?"

As it was unlikely they had decided to land in the city itself, she began to scan the nearby swamps and forests. Nothing. Jack or Nic had most likely decided it was best to send out a jamming signal to disrupt any potential Imperial scans. Smart move, but it made them nearly invisible. But they had to be somewhere near by. She could feel...

"Stop it!" she said to herself. "There is no such thing as the Force! You can't feel them. It's just intuition and common sense." She let out a deep breath. "Intuition and common sense," she repeated trying to reinforce her belief as she skimmed closer to the surface.

Then she saw them. A small glimmer of metal in the middle of a stand of thick trees. She closed her eyes, and shook her head slowly. "Okay," she said to no one. "So I found them without much bother. But it's not the Force. It's luck."

She manoeuvered the Headhunter to land a few hundred metres west of the Echo in a small natural clearing.

Archived