Home

What Kind of Game Should KOTOR 3 Be?

Fan48

What Kind of Game Should KOTOR 3 Be?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What Kind of Game Should KOTOR 3 Be?

• Role Playing Game (RPG)
    • Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG)
    • First Person Shooter
    • Third Person Shooter
    • Both 1 & 2
    • Doesn't matter, as long as it's good.

Exactly.

I like Kotor because it's _not_ a shooter game. If I wanted a FPS, I'd go buy one. If they changed the format in the middle of the series, my response would be somewhere between very disappointed and really ticked off.

Onasi nailed it to the wall...I agree. :)

Plus, didn't Lucas Arts allready add KotOR characters to SW: Galaxies?

Regardless, I like it the way it is.

F.Y.I. - To everyone else, this was not a dumb question. He had a thought, and he thought it would be an intresting question. There is nothing wrong with that.

Is the 'Make it Oblivion' argument the next generation of the 'Make it JA' argument?

Oblivion is real-time, and not everyone likes real time. No matter what engine you use, it won't be KotOR. If you want Oblivion, go and play Oblivion.

Bingo.

As a person who has played both Oblivion and KotOR, I like them both (almost) equally, but for completely different reasons. The gameplay is completely different. Almost as different as that between an RPG and a FPS. That's stretching it a bit, but consider how open-ended Oblivion is compared to KotOR.

Almost too open-ended. Oblivion is story-driven, but much more weakly so than KotOR. That kind of gameplay really wouldn't work for the KotOR series. Perhaps an RPG spin-off, but the KotOR series is and needs to be strongly story driven, because the story is what makes it so good. To make it like Oblivion would be to destroy its strongest part.

Besides, I really am not that fond of first person RPG styles. They're quite overrated, IMHO. More like an FPS player's RPG than a real RPG :p.

Oblivion's third-person gamestyle is still very first-person at heart. You can't have a dice-roll system when combat is completely player-controlled. There are too many uncontrollable variables -- it wouldn't work out.

I found this IGN report about Mass Effect's combat system of interest.

From the third-person over the shoulder perspective, he blasted a few energy bolts the bot's way, crumbling it to the ground. This introduces a significant action element into Mass Effect, as you actually have to aim at the enemy to hit them. Once you're aiming at them, which is aided by a soft lock-on when you get your reticule close, character statistics take over.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/707/707270p2.html

Sounds like it's a hybrid between twitch skills and d20 rules. This is one game I look forward to trying out when it makes it to PC, just to see how this combat system works. In any case it seems games like Oblivion and Mass Effect are redefining RPG's.

I like Fable, withi its mix of RPG with player-controlled combat. However, I also like KOTOR, with its emphasis on role-playing and character development. It's neat to have a game where your character building determines your success in combat, rather than your reflexes. There are already plenty of games out there like Oblivion. Let's keep the KOTOR series as it is.

Yes, yes it is.
...a dumb question.

If you thought it was such a dumb question then why did you post in this thread to begin with? Wouldn't you have been better off just ignoring the thread and not posting at all? :indif:

Yeah, I grow weary of those that say "Make the next KotOR an FPS!" But I concede the FPS'ers are out there, annoyingly enough. :giveup: I just hope that if and when the next KotOR gets made that it stays true to the first two KotOR games in terms of story and gameplay.

Same here...

But this is sadly what the Button Mashing ADD Generation of Console Kiddies would like to do is make the style of all games built into the no thinking and all reflexive pulse-pounding action all the time. They have no idea why all games don't offer the same type of twitch gameplay... :roleyess:

On-topic: Let's keep KotOR III an RPG like the first two are. ;)

Button Mashing ADD Generation of Console Kiddies have been the death of two of my favorite series (Rainbow 6 & Ghost Recon). I would be totally tick off if they did the same thing to the KotOR series.

Agreed on keeping KotOR an RPG.

Archived